Author Topic: blake griffin ripple effect on major draft site?  (Read 2897 times)

blake griffin ripple effect on major draft site?
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:55:47 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

the two draft sites I follow, nbadraftnet and draftexpress have their sites updated as of Jan. 18th. One, nbadraftnet, has launched Derrick Williams of Arizona to the # 1 pick slot, whie draft express has him at 15.  Discrepancy like this and even bigger differences are to be expected at this early date, but I found it interesting that one site threw him all the way into the #1 spot, wrongly I believe, though after watching highlights I could easily see him as a top 5 pick.  Anyway, I'll call it the "Blake Griffin ripple effect".  Williams is a 6'9" 241 pound PF, similar size to Griffin, and has great interior offense.  His athleticism is not considered off the charts and he's considered a bit undersized, but to me he looks like a very rich man's J.J. Hickson or better.  I also think he's got potential to be more explosive as he already dunks impressively while not yet having tons of lower body strength.  I think nbadraftnet has seen a glimmer of Griffin in his game and awarded him thusly.  The Blake Griffin ripple effect is now in full bloom!

I think if healthy Kyrie Irving is a lock for the #1 pick.  That's why I think giving #1 to D. Williams at this point is kind of silly or, just to make a point that Griffin has momentarily opened our eyes to the great things that can be done from the power forward slot.

Re: blake griffin ripple effect on major draft site?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
I've noticed that when a particular type of player comes along and surprises everybody, it does affect future drafts as teams try to predict who will be the next player of that type.  I'm thinking for example that teams wanted to find the next Dirk Nowitski in Tskitishvili, Darko, and even Bargnani.  It happened all the time with players who were supposed to be the next Larry Bird, like Christian Laettner, and unfortunately for the Celtics, #11 pick Michael Smith in 1989.  I wish draft sites like nbadraft.net wouldn't do their "NBA comparison," it's rarely helpful.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He's very different then Griffin. He's more of Michael Beasley.  He's a lights out shooter. Kid is 17/24 for 3 pointers on the year. That's good for 70%! That may not be a lot of 3's, but that's still about 1 a game.  He shoots 77% from the FT line and 65% from the floor.  He's a very efficient player.  He is a much better defender than Michael Beasley though.  Yes he's the same size as Griffin and yes he's very athletic, but he's no where near as strong as Griffin.
do it

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I've noticed that when a particular type of player comes along and surprises everybody, it does affect future drafts as teams try to predict who will be the next player of that type.  I'm thinking for example that teams wanted to find the next Dirk Nowitski in Tskitishvili, Darko, and even Bargnani.  It happened all the time with players who were supposed to be the next Larry Bird, like Christian Laettner, and unfortunately for the Celtics, #11 pick Michael Smith in 1989.  I wish draft sites like nbadraft.net wouldn't do their "NBA comparison," it's rarely helpful.
Amen to that.  Comparing this early almost aways turns out to be waaaaay off.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
He's very different then Griffin. He's more of Michael Beasley.  He's a lights out shooter. Kid is 17/24 for 3 pointers on the year. That's good for 70%! That may not be a lot of 3's, but that's still about 1 a game.  He shoots 77% from the FT line and 65% from the floor.  He's a very efficient player.  He is a much better defender than Michael Beasley though.  Yes he's the same size as Griffin and yes he's very athletic, but he's no where near as strong as Griffin.

Didn't know he was hitting 3's.  Haven't watched college ball at all this year....But I would guess he's not nearly as good as Griffin in the open floor either, ball handling, driving the length of the floor, etc...guessing though.  Anyway, these days, not being as good as Griffin isn't all that much of a knock!

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Didn't know he was hitting 3's.  Haven't watched college ball at all this year....But I would guess he's not nearly as good as Griffin in the open floor either, ball handling, driving the length of the floor, etc...guessing though.  Anyway, these days, not being as good as Griffin isn't all that much of a knock!

Jonathan Givony of draft express slides Derrick Williams to #5 and sums up the new and improved PF:

While his 3-point shooting percentages are likely to come down to Earth, and he may not be able to post up in the NBA at quite the same rate, Williams' ability to create shots in isolation situations -- where he ranks in the 99th percentile of college basketball players according to Synergy Sports Technology -- is a highly coveted skill that most certainly will translate to the next level.

Williams doesn't hesitate in anything he does on the basketball floor. He's an extremely fluid, decisive shot-creator. He's a quick thinker who transitions almost instantaneously into scoring mode as soon as he catches the ball (think Blake Griffin), showing amazing vision in reading defenses and finding holes to slither into.

The deadly combination he brings to the table with his quick first step, long strides, polished footwork and outstanding body control hasn't been seen in college basketball since Michael Beasley. Power forwards at this level simply have no way to slow him down, as evidenced by the incredible rate at which he gets to the free throw line. Better yet, he converts 76% of his attempts, up from 68% last season.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Derrick-Williams-5811/#ixzz1CBQt9U2t
http://www.draftexpress.com