Author Topic: Maybe we need a science thread?  (Read 14530 times)

Re: Maybe we need a science thread?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 10:54:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Science isn't a belief system, its a methodology for learning and experimentation.

The coolest thing I've read about recently is how the Navy is looking at using salt water to replace the huge arrays of antennas on their ships.

Apparently a spout of sea water being shot vertically (like a fountain) can be used as a pretty powerful one. I read about it in the Economist yesterday.
Sea water can be used as a radio antenna?  

I've been advocating getting away from getting back to the gold standard for years...the secret? Salt. Sodium chloride is a magic substance..it can transmit electricity, it can preserve meat, it makes our muscles work, it makes food taste better..what better model for currency?

Wait...what about water? Oh no...that's just nuts.  
Salt as currency? And we can call that our salary? What will they think of next?

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Great thread idea if you skip over the commentary. Not that there aren't valid points in the commentary. I'm just saying this thread is supposed to be fun and informative, not controversial.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Chris' comments seem to have been lost in the fray a bit.  To sum things up:

1.  This thread asked a question, along the lines of "should we have a science thread";

2.  That question has been answered:  a science thread is appropriate, and in fact it makes sense to have multiple science threads on multiple scientific issues.  Members are encouraged to start such threads in the off-topic forum.  Also, members should avoid turning every science thread (or religion thread) into a science vs. religion debate.

Regarding this thread, since the question has been asked and answered, and to encourage people to follow Chris' directions, this thread is locked.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes