Author Topic: Maybe we need a science thread?  (Read 13956 times)

Maybe we need a science thread?
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:26:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Actually in my experience science threads are some of the nastiest threads on the entire internet. Not sure why. 

Maybe an internet thread would be an ok place.

Anyway I thought someone was doubting a claim I made about scientists attempting to create fusion. I guess it's not a done deal, but here you are

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3981697/Scientists-plan-to-ignite-tiny-man-made-star.html

Re: Maybe we need a science thread?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
If you look at the bones of a Jesus-asauras rex you can tell by the use of carbon dating that MOUNTAIN DEW IS THE BEST SODA EVER MADE
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:30:35 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
Seriously tho, I love the idea of a science thread.

One website i like to frequent is betterhumans.org

I personally cant wait until things like nuclear fusion and nano-technology are finally tapped into, I hope it all happens in our lifetime!
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:49 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
You can start pretty much any thread you want to here ... if science, just put it in the "Off-Topic" forum.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I saw this recently about the size of the universe. It's pretty good.  I guess it shows part of the reason we don't hear from aliens or maybe don't get visited from them is that our radio signals haven't gotten far. It's like if maybe we threw a bottle with a note in the water and waited maybe a day and were like "Where are they already?"  Granted in theory there should be billions of them also throwing in bottles, but still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U&feature=player_embedded

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That was great, eja.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Actually in my experience science threads are some of the nastiest threads on the entire internet. Not sure why. 

I think it's because of the creation/evolution and religion/science conflicts. I'm sure that people from both sides have been guilty of bad behavior on those threads. Speaking for myself as a creationist, I've certainly encountered some hostility from Darwinist/atheist types, though I'm usually willing to engage in friendly, good-spirited debate.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I believe Jesus planted dinosaur bones to test our faith.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Jesus? Like in his spare time when he wasn't being crucified? huh.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I think it's because of the creation/evolution and religion/science conflicts. I'm sure that people from both sides have been guilty of bad behavior on those threads. Speaking for myself as a creationist, I've certainly encountered some hostility from Darwinist/atheist types, though I'm usually willing to engage in friendly, good-spirited debate.
The single meanest place I ever saw on the net was the web site for Myth Busters. The worst day around here was like an average day there give or take. 

People kept asking the same questions. 

The two I remember the most was "They should test if they went to the moon" and some variation of "They should test what a real samurai sword could do".

It was rough. People were just so invested in their opinion.  Just nobody would admit to any wholes in their theory whatsoever.

Then you get the whole jeopardy "I know everything about science" crowd that would attack the laypeople.

It was just horrid. I stopped watching that show after that. And I just noticed the other day they did a moon landing episode

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:25 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
What about the time between when He was 12 and 30 or so?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
What about the time between when He was 12 and 30 or so?

No he was traveling Asia learning Buddhism during that time.

Science is awe-inspiring. I try to imagine that there are an estimated ONE BILLION X ONE BILLION stars in the universe. Think about the size of the universe for just a second. Just incredible. I think about our earth being 4.5 billion years old, or that mankind has been around for only 200,000 years of that. Truly mind-blowing..

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:14 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
We could do a junk science thread also so we could talk about the myth of global warming.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
so sick of the blanket denials. so sick of the false equivalency of faith and science.
so sick of hearing the same old quasi scientific excuses for doing nothing.

here's something for ya.

all the prayers in the world will not stop the rising seas.
all the denials in the world will not stop the acidification of the oceans.
all the faith in the world will not counter the massively harmful impact industrial/co2 pollution is having on the health of our oceans.
the oceans are dying
and when they go... so do we.

love your [dang] mother

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:18:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Religion and Politics always get people fired up.  Is it because science is the religion of the non believers?  I don't think but to some it is so. 

My issues with religion are not science based.  I think its real problem are moral corruption and the insanity of the whole matter.  I actually can see how people question the randomness of the universe and believe it was created by someone else or something.  But morally is where religion falls short.

Were I to kill my son, to fix any problem that I could easily fix otherwise I would be considered evil and insane.   It would be murder.  In religion its called salvation. Were I to let a person suffer needlessly when I have the power to stop it would be abuse.  In religion its called a plan for us.   Likewise, were I too kill those who did not agree with me I would be locked up and guilty of mass murder.  In some religions its called jihad.   These things just don't jive with me.  I am glad they give the answers to other people and I admire their faith.  But I have always asked questions and I have yet to meet someone who could explain away these moral issues.   I went to church as a young man and listened eagerly.  I read various holy books.  But the moral inconsistencies bother me to the point where I acknowledge no religion as superior.  I admire those who can look past these issues and believe but I cannot.

Now there are many good morals in religion as well.   I don't think one can take lightly the teachings of Jesus such "as do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  The ten commandments are pretty good rules for any society in general.   There are universal morals that most religions share and similiarites if one looks deep enough.

As for science, I suppose it gives people something to believe in that is tangible.  Sure not all of it is tangible but what is not can be mathematically proven.  But too be honest I come here to think about basketball not the meaning or origin of the universe.   I really don't worry about such things.