Author Topic: Heat are absolutely ridiculous  (Read 23634 times)

Re: Heat are absolutely ridiculous
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

Excellent analysis. Thanks and a tp. It is good to read a detailed and intelligent post on another team. I hope you provide the same when the celtics meet up with your clips.

Thanks.

No problem, and TP in return.  To be clear, though, I'm a Celtics fan 100%, haha.  I just pay a lot of attention to all of the other teams in the league too, and I enjoy sharing my opinion on interesting matchups when given an opportunity. 

EDIT:  rofl... after looking at my post, I found out the source of the confusion.  My Clippers avatar is from the Pick Two draft last year... they were the team I was dealt, and I just haven't found a reason to get rid of it yet, especially since they're a binky of mine anyway.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:50:23 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
The Heat should be impressive since they have 2 of the leagues top 5 players and a 3rd player who is arguably top 15.  But, this does not make them unbeatable.

I think a Celts-Heat match-up has the potential to be a great series. Heat will probably blow the C's out 1 or 2 games (shots will fall) and then will give the C's opportunities in the other games.  HCA is pretty important -- not just because of home court for Game 7. HCA is important because it will also likely set up a Heat-Magic semi-final.  That series could go either way and will be a very hard fought series.  I don't want to play Orlando and then the Heat (with Heat having HCA).

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
The 01-02 Lakers blew threw the playoffs with essentially the Shaq and Kobe show.  In the finals Shaq and Kobe scored 252 of the Lakers 424 points or just shy of 60%.  Fisher was the 3rd leading scorer in all but game 1 (fox had him by 1 point) and scored 51 points in the four games.  Putting him with Kobe & Shaq gives that trio 303 of the total points or 71.4% of the Lakers total (with Fox's 39 added in you are just under 81%).  The Lakers won all four of those games and all but game 2 were incredibly close games.

The reality is, come playoff time the teams with the superstars more times then not win because they have the superstars that can carry them when the going gets tough.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with have 3 players account for the vast majority of your scoring, if the 3 players are that good, which I believe the Heat trio is.  The Heat's downfall, if it has one, is it lacks size and could get muscled around.

Good post, TP.

People have selective memory.  I think there is a major problem having 1 player be so dominating on a team (as in LeBron on the Cavs) but when you have 3 I don't see how it becomes too much of a weakness and it's certainly not something that is easy to shut down.

I agree on their downside you point out and the interior weakness is why we are in a better position than anyone to beat them I believe.

Problem is C's have a big 3 and alot more depth

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Funny how a few losses makes the confidence in our team crack. if healthy, we will beat them, hc or not. so what if the shut down pp or ra, we have kg, rondo, shaq, west etc that can fill in. they may be a 2 1/2 headed monster, but our monster has a few more.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The 01-02 Lakers blew threw the playoffs with essentially the Shaq and Kobe show.  In the finals Shaq and Kobe scored 252 of the Lakers 424 points or just shy of 60%.  Fisher was the 3rd leading scorer in all but game 1 (fox had him by 1 point) and scored 51 points in the four games.  Putting him with Kobe & Shaq gives that trio 303 of the total points or 71.4% of the Lakers total (with Fox's 39 added in you are just under 81%).  The Lakers won all four of those games and all but game 2 were incredibly close games.

The reality is, come playoff time the teams with the superstars more times then not win because they have the superstars that can carry them when the going gets tough.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with have 3 players account for the vast majority of your scoring, if the 3 players are that good, which I believe the Heat trio is.  The Heat's downfall, if it has one, is it lacks size and could get muscled around.

Good post, TP.

People have selective memory.  I think there is a major problem having 1 player be so dominating on a team (as in LeBron on the Cavs) but when you have 3 I don't see how it becomes too much of a weakness and it's certainly not something that is easy to shut down.

I agree on their downside you point out and the interior weakness is why we are in a better position than anyone to beat them I believe.

This (to me) will come down to defense... how many of the heat individuals have the kind of defense the playoffs will require? I think, only two of their players can play at any time (7 game series entirely), championship level D. They play nice team D b/c of Lebron and Wade, they are excellent on man and help. Now, who else do they have that can play championship man D when the playoffs come around against our starters? Who takes RR, PP, KG, RA, (maybe) Shaq? There are only two positions they can legitimately take on D. Likely, one will take RR b/c they think stopping him stops us (better chance for sure)... however, I feel that paying a lot of attention to him will hurt them even worse. Now say the let RR free, well everyone saw that work great last season  ::). Then, one is going to take PP (that's a given). Stopping two of our best players would be great for any team who aren't the Celtics... all of our starters (currently) are known to do big things in the playoffs (when healthy). I'm not going to go over every set of players they can defend b/c in any scenario we have 3 other players w/o a good man defender on them. Now, stop and think about how many good man defenders the Celtics have... the only time defense is suspect is Shaq on pnr but no one can deny his man D (underrated), not to mention the Heat Centers he would have to defend are laughable except on occasion Z... EVEN THEN, we have KP! Everyone is aware of how great our team D is. I think the Heat team's greatest hope... we have some injured players. Do I think they can beat us? Yes... any team has a chance, I think their chance against us, is the best... with Orl and the Bulls coming up after.

This year will be a tougher road for the Celtics, no matter opposition! All I can do is hope for health and for the refs to use playoff judgments on calls (you get away w/ more, usually).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Another angle:  Not that anyone needs any added motivation when it comes time for conference finals, but it never hurts to have a personal vendetta working in your favor. 

It seems Shaq has a deep dislike for Pat Riley (apparently bigger than his abhorrance for Kobe -- which some say is more about competitiveness than enmity).   I realize this doesn't mean much, but I'd imagine that Shaq will be saving something special for the Heat -- who just so happen not to have much of an inside presence.

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I wouldnt call it a loss of confidence in our team.....I think a lot of people on here were just happier starting threads every two days making fun of the Heat before they found their stride.

KARMA!

...sorry I'm just the most supersticious person in the world, and it really irked me seeing all those threads 10 games into the season completely trashing the heat. 
Greg

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Another angle:  Not that anyone needs any added motivation when it comes time for conference finals, but it never hurts to have a personal vendetta working in your favor. 

It seems Shaq has a deep dislike for Pat Riley (apparently bigger than his abhorrance for Kobe -- which some say is more about competitiveness than enmity).   I realize this doesn't mean much, but I'd imagine that Shaq will be saving something special for the Heat -- who just so happen not to have much of an inside presence.

Exactly. Also, the hits Shaq has given to Wade and Lebron this season... that, and his disdain for Riley can be very useful in the playoffs. (BTW: Wade doesn't like Riley either, just listen to any interview where some1 mentions him to Wade. (I think something big went down... maybe the Shaq trade and the horrible season(s) surrounding it?)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Starting this thread had nothing to do with the Celtics losing a few games. It was driven by the fact that the Heat are 21-1 in their last 22 games, and while they have had some close victories, the run has been pretty amazing in my opinion. I also think they are going to be a real tough out and actually am surprised how quickly they turned things around and got it together.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Once  again I am not worried about the Heat as a team come playoff time.  I am directly and solely concerned with the reffing in those games.

Fair reffing = we win
David Stern reffing = small chance of wining but we have proved we can win 5v8 also many many times

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »

Offline JohnBagleyValueMeal

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 176
  • It's not hard to work hard.
If I were the Heat I'd be very concerned about taking the #1 seed and getting a 2nd round matchup with the Bulls as a reward.

Thibs' defense, Noah's interior defense & rebounding, Rose's penetration (and foul shooting)...they could cause the Heat some problems. Deng's not a bad guy to throw at LeBron.

The Heat are dangerous, should not be taken lightly. But they rely a ton on transition buckets and guys like Joel Anthony and James Jones to make key plays. I think they're a season away from their trophy.
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."
-- Sports Illustrated, 12/19/1983

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If I were the Heat I'd be very concerned about taking the #1 seed and getting a 2nd round matchup with the Bulls as a reward.

Thibs' defense, Noah's interior defense & rebounding, Rose's penetration (and foul shooting)...they could cause the Heat some problems. Deng's not a bad guy to throw at LeBron.

The Heat are dangerous, should not be taken lightly. But they rely a ton on transition buckets and guys like Joel Anthony and James Jones to make key plays. I think they're a season away from their trophy.

and one haslem
and one house getting his share
because jones newbienes
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The 01-02 Lakers blew threw the playoffs with essentially the Shaq and Kobe show.  In the finals Shaq and Kobe scored 252 of the Lakers 424 points or just shy of 60%.  Fisher was the 3rd leading scorer in all but game 1 (fox had him by 1 point) and scored 51 points in the four games.  Putting him with Kobe & Shaq gives that trio 303 of the total points or 71.4% of the Lakers total (with Fox's 39 added in you are just under 81%).  The Lakers won all four of those games and all but game 2 were incredibly close games.

The reality is, come playoff time the teams with the superstars more times then not win because they have the superstars that can carry them when the going gets tough.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with have 3 players account for the vast majority of your scoring, if the 3 players are that good, which I believe the Heat trio is.  The Heat's downfall, if it has one, is it lacks size and could get muscled around.

Good post, TP.

People have selective memory.  I think there is a major problem having 1 player be so dominating on a team (as in LeBron on the Cavs) but when you have 3 I don't see how it becomes too much of a weakness and it's certainly not something that is easy to shut down.

except Lebron and Wade are clearly the best two players on either team.  Lebron took that craptastic team that is the Cavs (I mean seriously look at how bad that team is this year) and really pushed Boston the last three years.  You give him Wade and Bosh, and I'm more then worried.

I know a lot of people on this and other boards have poked a lot of fun at Lebron because of this summer and his antics, but he is still the best player in the NBA (or at worst 2nd to Kobe).  And now that he has a legitimate 2nd fiddle, who also happens to be a top 5 or 6 player, every team in the league should be wary of what the Heat can do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
The 01-02 Lakers blew threw the playoffs with essentially the Shaq and Kobe show.  In the finals Shaq and Kobe scored 252 of the Lakers 424 points or just shy of 60%.  Fisher was the 3rd leading scorer in all but game 1 (fox had him by 1 point) and scored 51 points in the four games.  Putting him with Kobe & Shaq gives that trio 303 of the total points or 71.4% of the Lakers total (with Fox's 39 added in you are just under 81%).  The Lakers won all four of those games and all but game 2 were incredibly close games.

The reality is, come playoff time the teams with the superstars more times then not win because they have the superstars that can carry them when the going gets tough.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with have 3 players account for the vast majority of your scoring, if the 3 players are that good, which I believe the Heat trio is.  The Heat's downfall, if it has one, is it lacks size and could get muscled around.

Good post, TP.

People have selective memory.  I think there is a major problem having 1 player be so dominating on a team (as in LeBron on the Cavs) but when you have 3 I don't see how it becomes too much of a weakness and it's certainly not something that is easy to shut down.

except Lebron and Wade are clearly the best two players on either team.  Lebron took that craptastic team that is the Cavs (I mean seriously look at how bad that team is this year) and really pushed Boston the last three years.  You give him Wade and Bosh, and I'm more then worried.

I know a lot of people on this and other boards have poked a lot of fun at Lebron because of this summer and his antics, but he is still the best player in the NBA (or at worst 2nd to Kobe).  And now that he has a legitimate 2nd fiddle, who also happens to be a top 5 or 6 player, every team in the league should be wary of what the Heat can do.
Lebron took that craptastic team that is the Cavs (I mean seriously look at how bad that team is this year) and really pushed Boston the last three years.
[/quote]

This irks me every time I see it, and as Celtics fans, it should go without saying - the Cavs also lost shaq, delonte, and their head coach.

To imply that LeBron's departure is the sole reason for the Cavs woes is shortsighted and inaccurate.

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

This irks me every time I see it, and as Celtics fans, it should go without saying - the Cavs also lost shaq, delonte, and their head coach.

To imply that LeBron's departure is the sole reason for the Cavs woes is shortsighted and inaccurate.

So they lost Shaq, who was pretty terrible for them (especially for his salary), and Delonte who is good but was a big distraction last season, and is a role player.  And they got better coach than the terrible Mike Brown....

Yeah, LeBron's departure is almost the whole reason.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:55:06 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford