Author Topic: Does anybody have any recommendations for Rome (Italy)?  (Read 4593 times)

Does anybody have any recommendations for Rome (Italy)?
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My fiancee' (soon-to-be bride) and I are honeymooning in Rome in late October / early November.  Does anybody have any recommendations for things to do / places to see / restaurants to eat at / local dishes to try?

So far, we have day trips planned to Florence and Naples / Pompeii.  We'll be going to the Vatican and will witness a Papal blessing, and we'll be doing both bus and walking tours of the city.  Where we're lacking, though, is in the specifics, that are off the beaten path of typical tourist sites.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and will be rewarded with TPs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Does anybody have any recommendations for Rome (Italy)?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »

Offline Scall4prez

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 15
I went to Italy this past April and it was amazing.. congrats btw.  I would totally recommend going to Civita di Bagnoregio.  It's an "island in the sky" type of thing with amazing views.  It's actually a little town where about five families live and its going to be closed to tourists soon so I would go when you can.  It's not exactly near Rome, but the drive is not terrible.  It's just a really romantic place where I'm sure a wife would appreciate.  best of luck

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
This list of restaurants is very old by now since I was there in 1999; but many of these were very worthwhile and will self sort depending on where they are staying, was compiled by several people who lived in Rome in the 90's:

•   PierLuigi, 686-1302, Piazza D. Ricci , 144 (near Palazzo Farnese) Great fish, you can sit outside, reservations are usually needed to get a table outside. Closed Monday.

•   Da' Giovanni, Tucked in the north corner of the Piazza Farnese (to the right facing the palazzo) on the side street leading toward the campo dei Fiori.  Friendly and very Roman, great wines, food good as well.  Real family operation.

•   Antica Taverna da Paolo & Michele; Via Monte Giordano, 12; 06-68-80-1053, Open all the time, inexpensive, good Truffle Ravioli, off of Governo Vechio, behind SM della Pace
•   Pollarola, Pza. Pollarola, bet. S. Andrea della Valle and the Campo dei Fiori.  Another one that has been around for a long time. Closed Sunday.

•   Ristorante del Teatro del Grotto di Pompeo, sort of in the same piazza as Pollarola on one of the streets into Campo dei Fiori.  Linguine al Raddichio is really good.  Good grilled fish too.

•   Gigetto alle Colonne, Via d. Portico di Ottavia, next to the Theater of Marcellus in the Ghetto.  Delicious.  The Artichoke al Guidea is wonderful.

•   Dar Poete, Vicolo d. Bologna off p. SM della Scalla, reservations recommended. Pizza, great bruschetta

•   da Baffetto, Via del Govemo Vecchio, not far from the Oratorio dei Filippini, the best Pizza in Rome, but get there by 7 pm or you'll stand on line for an hour.

•   La Rustichella, Vicolo della Cancelleria, 13 (06) 68 80 37 86 (closed martedi)

•   Pizzeria Nuovo Mondo, Testaccio,  This neon lit pizzeria is always packed with locals of this traditional residential neighborhood at the foot of the Aventino, know as the pottery district in Roman times, now the place for clubs and theaters.

•   Pizzeria Ivo, V. San Francesco a Ripa 158, no nonsense dining in Trastevere at its best.

•   No-name bakery in basement at 27 Via Barletta nr. Ottaviano Metro. Good. Cheap.

•   Evangelista, 687-5810, west of the Via Arenula off of the Lungotevere.  Excellent, excellent, excellent.  Pricey but worth it.  Do not order unless you have the specialty, and appetizer called Carciofi al matone, basically artichokes smashed and cooked between two hot bricks.

•   Vecchia Roma, in Piazza Campitelli.  Elegant outside dining, also a little more expensive.

•   Dittamano, 687-1626, (Piazza Cancelleria, 74) Near the Campo dei Fiori, off the Via Bauliari, the little street that goes towards the Pizza Cancelleria, Very small place.  Not very expensive, a great place to eat.  Everything is delicious, everything is made fresh that day. They have things that you have probably never had.  And their deserts are great, especially the little ice creams.

•   Trattoria dal Cav. da Gino, Vicolo Rosini 4, 687-3434, North of the Pantheon in a little alley off of the Via Campo Marzio.  where all the Parliament guys dine.  Small place that has been there for ever, at least as long as Gino, who still serves meals.  Try the Tonnarelli w/ peas and proscuitto or the Abbachio (if you like lamb)

•   Ristorante al Callarello, Via S. Salvator Rosa, 8, 5747575.  On the Picolo Aventino.  Outdoor seating, need reservation, great seafood, lovely spot to eat out.

•   Hosteria Umberto, Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano.  A little place, not much frontage on the street., on the right going away from the Coloseum.  We love the Spaghetti all' amatriciana bianca (A roman pancetta cooked in oil, black pepper on spaghetti with parmesian.).  Great for lunch if you are near the Coloseum or the Forum or on the way to Saint John the Lateran.

•   Trattoria Perilli, Via Marmorata, 39 57424215. Closed Wednesdays.  Real typical Roman food.  Been in operation for a long time.

•   Il Vascello, it's not too far from the American Academy in Rome and is frequented by the fellows as well as all the locals of that residential district, Monte Verde Vecchio.  

Pizza, Ice Cream, Coffee, Cheap Meals:

•   Viccolo del Grotto,. Great Pizza.  Try the Fiore di Zucca (Zucchini flowers, if they are in season.) or the Gorgonzola with rughetta (Bianca, no red sauce)
•   L'Insalata Rica, V. del Paradiso, alongside the flank of the S. Andrea della Valle.  Salads and good pastas, they have a pretty good Spaghetti alle Vongole.  They have another location in the Piazza Pasquino, both locations you can eat outside.  Great for lunch.
•   Sant' Eustachio Cafe, In Piazza Sant' Eustachio, in the Pal. Maccarani.  Extremely good.  Beware if you order a coffee it will come with sugar in it.  If you don't like sugar order, senza zucchero.
•   Bar Camilloni in Piazza Sant'Eustachio across from the church.  Also good coffee, and they now serve great lunches, with fresh pastas each day and various other delicious "fast meals."
•   Tazza d'Oro, 678-9792, (Via d' gli Orfani, 84) just north east of the Pantheon.  The best coffee in Rome.  If you dare, try the Granita di Cafe with layers of frozen coffee granules and whipped cream!
•   Giolitti's, Via. d. Uffizio di Vicario, north of the Pantheon,.  Ice Cream, lots of choices.
•   Bar Pica, Via dell Seggola,12, off of the Via Arenula to the west, before you cross the river.  In my opinion the best ice cream in Rome, I try to keep this place a secret, so don't come back and disappoint us by not going several times!.  Try the Riso, which is like rice pudding only ice cream.  All the flavors are delicious.
•   Cafe ??? (forget the name), in Pza. S. Lorenzo in Lucina, on north side of Piazza.  Tables outside, they have great sweets inside, nice place to sit as alternative to all the usual spots.
•   Bar Tre Scallini, Piazza Navinna.  Have the Tartufo, A chocolate lovers delight.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:00:51 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Congrats!

Trastevere is a fun region literally "across the Tiber" lots of restaurants.

The Campodolgio is Michelangelo's masterwork (architecturally speaking) at the seat of the Senate nr. the Imperial Forum.

The Campo Dei Fiori is great during the Day and at night there are a lot of Wine Bars and people just hanging out.

The Pizza Navonna is a must. There are a lot of good restaurants off of the Piazza toward Santa Maria Delle Pace.

The nearby Pantheon is an amazing structure really magical.

The Spanish Steps are fun all times of the day and night as is the nearby Trevi Fountain.

Enjoy - miss it already!

(watch the pick pockets on the trams and purse snatchings are common, but is a very safe place otherwise)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah, congratulations roy - hope u have a great trip. My wife and i went in 2008. june 2008. Yes, I was in the air over the atlantic when we won the championship. doh!
Anyway, I got over it b/c we had a great trip. If u can make it to an area called the Cinque Terra, that was our favorite place - its 5 little towns linked by hiking trails and a train. on the west coast - really pretty. kind of off the beaten path but not too much.
  in florence we did a bike tour, run by an american kid. don't remember the exact name but at the time it was listed as the #1 thing to do in florence on tripadviosr.com - we found that site pretty good.
   and generally in any city we went by the fodor's guide for restaurants. If it was listed there as good we were never let down. can't remember any exact names but you really can't go wrong.
  and hey, at least you won't miss the single greatest moment in celtics history in the lsat 20 years during your trip! :)

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
Congrats, Roy.  Good to see you've got Pompeii on your list.  It really is a neat place.  At that point, you are so close to the Amalfi Coast, if you can squeeze in another half a day, it really is spectacular.  Another day trip from Napoli (I used to live in a suburb) is the island of Capri.  So stunning.

Even if you're not doing touristy things and just rent a car and explore the countryside, you can't go wrong.  It's like living in a postcard.  Little mom and pop type trattorias often have excellent food and are very inexpensive.

As for pizza, it's way better in Naples than Rome.

What a great place to have a honeymoon.  Buona fortuna!

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
We were there in June - we left USA the day of the first Finals game, and returned the day after game 7. Needless to say, I planned the trip well before the playoffs started. Anyway, enough of my whining.

We stayed in Trastevere 2 nights, and Campo de Fiori 3 nights. I agree with gar: Trastevere is really fun, and was probably my favorite place in all of Italy. We stayed in a gorgeous restored nunnery, the Donna Camilla Savelli:

http://www.hoteldonnacamillasavelli.com/

It was a splurge but worth it IMO.

My strongest general advice, if you care about good food and not getting ripped off, is to stay out of the main piazzas for your evenings out, except maybe for a cocktail and some people-watching. The restaurants in piazzas are tourist traps, and you will overpay for mediocre (by Rome standards) food/drink. This applies in Rome (Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, etc.), and *really* in Florence - the main piazza there was a nightmare and the only place I had inedible food.

I won't give you too many specific recommendations, but I spent a lot of time on chowhound before the trip:

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards

You will find more recommendations than you can handle there, and gar hit a lot of the favorites from there. My personal favorite things were the deep-fried artichoke from the Jewish ghetto, and dinner at Da Lucia in Trastevere.

As far as sights go, I don't have any advice you can't get from a guidebook. I did discover that the Vatican Museum is best visited in late afternoon - otherwise the lines are a killer.

And everyone's different, but I definitely preferred to just set out each day and walk the city rather than get hooked into tours, which can be more trouble than they're worth.

Jealous! Have fun.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
Roy, I wanted to add, if you are going to Naples, try and take the trains because driving is the most monumental pain in the arse there.  One of the best pizzerias in town (probably the most famous), called 'da Michele' is in Bagnoli.

Other than actually in Naples, driving in Italy is a complete blast.  You basically drive however you feel like (at least in the south).  The only rule  seemed to be whoever got their nose in first had the right of way.  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:56:52 AM by Mencius »