Author Topic: Tony Allen lumps up OJ Mayo in altercation  (Read 22037 times)

Re: Tony Allen lumps up OJ Mayo in altercation
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Rocket science still does not appear to be in TA's future! :-\

Tony Allen: "Make my words. You don't need a degree in rocket appliances to understand. If you don't stop yappin, OJ, yore gonn getit. What goes around is all around!"
;D

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If you get in someone's face trying to push their buttons, then you deserve to get the crap beat out of you.

I don't get into fights at all apart from yelling on the court. But if Mayo is going to act like he did, I have no problem with TA not being able to control his temper.

I don't think the law is a good measure in this case since the law is written by people with a certain worldview. It is written by people who want to maintain their power without giving others the ability to use force to level the playing field.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think the law is a good measure in this case since the law is written by people with a certain worldview. It is written by people who want to maintain their power without giving others the ability to use force to level the playing field.
Huh? Most people who get hit "deserve it" in the eyes of their attackers. I think the law is an excellent way to judge such things. I get that you think this case isn't one where fault lies with Tony, but your anarchist reasoning is poor.

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
That's what I don't understand. How close are these NBA guys? They basically live together as a team and play cards for a lot of money (maybe not to them), but don't want to pay up. If you guys aren't good enough friends to take heat from them, you best to pay up your debt or not play at all.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I thought i heard briefly over my car radio a few days ago TA was fined and Mayo wasn't...if this is true does anyone know how much his fine was and why there was only one player receiving a fine?

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I thought i heard briefly over my car radio a few days ago TA was fined and Mayo wasn't...if this is true does anyone know how much his fine was and why there was only one player receiving a fine?

sounds like TA was the only one who got in any punches, so that would account for the one-sided fine situation.

no idea how much his fine was though.

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
\Three publicized fights is not a big deal.  I don't see how you can consider someone a thug for getting into fights.

I guess we disagree on what a thug is.  Somebody who handles disputes through violence pretty much fits the definition to me.

Before you criticize Tony, look at his alternatives. Cry to his coach? Cry to the police? I'm sorry, but tattling over a card debt when you're a fully grown man just isn't an option if you don't want to be ridiculed and hated on by your teammates.

I agree that violence is USUALLY never a good option, but being stuck on an airplane with a teammate is a unique situation. You can't just walk away from the altercation, and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

I imagine that nobody is talking smack to Tony anymore (which is obviously what Tony sought to accomplish by punching Mayo), and realistically there was no other way to he was going to get Mayo (and probably others) to shut up.

And while of course you could ask Tony to be a little more thick-skinned and not let the smack talking get him riled up, there's only so much a person can take. We don't know how many other times something like this has happened, or how long this situation has been waiting to explode. Personally, I think Tony did the right thing.

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
\Three publicized fights is not a big deal.  I don't see how you can consider someone a thug for getting into fights.

I guess we disagree on what a thug is.  Somebody who handles disputes through violence pretty much fits the definition to me.
I consider a thug to be more like a gang member who looks to violence for fun or some type of enforcer who is paid to treat people with violence.

Tony on the other hand got into a fight as the result of a dispute (not saying that having a reason justifies it but that's different than a mindless thug who gets his kicks from fighting).

Fighting is a pretty common thing among men (and women) throughout the world and also throughout history.  Some of these men are thugs and some simply lack the ability to solve disputes in any other way.  Tony is a grown man who could most likely benefit from smartening up and finding some way to avoid confrontation but I'm sure that's harder than it sounds considering how/where he grew up and the profession that he's in.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Before you criticize Tony, look at his alternatives. Cry to his coach? Cry to the police? I'm sorry, but tattling over a card debt when you're a fully grown man just isn't an option if you don't want to be ridiculed and hated on by your teammates.

I agree that violence is USUALLY never a good option, but being stuck on an airplane with a teammate is a unique situation. You can't just walk away from the altercation, and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

I imagine that nobody is talking smack to Tony anymore (which is obviously what Tony sought to accomplish by punching Mayo), and realistically there was no other way to he was going to get Mayo (and probably others) to shut up.

And while of course you could ask Tony to be a little more thick-skinned and not let the smack talking get him riled up, there's only so much a person can take. We don't know how many other times something like this has happened, or how long this situation has been waiting to explode. Personally, I think Tony did the right thing.

Stop gambling with the guy.  Let the team knows that Mayo does not pay what he owes.  Cut Mayo out of the card games until he pays off. 

Then again, if I ran a team, I would outlaw all gambling in the locker room, on the planes/buses/trains and in the hotels.  It causes nothing but trouble. 

Adults do not punch co-workers.

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't completely blame Tony Allen for this. OJ Mayo seems to have instigated the whole situation. Even professionals will lose their cool if someone pushes them enough.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown

Stop gambling with the guy.  Let the team knows that Mayo does not pay what he owes.  Cut Mayo out of the card games until he pays off. 

Then again, if I ran a team, I would outlaw all gambling in the locker room, on the planes/buses/trains and in the hotels.  It causes nothing but trouble. 

Apparently Tony didn't punch Mayo over the debt, he punched him because he was running his mouth. Aka making fun of him in front of other people, disrespecting him, however you want to call it.

Yeah, co-workers in offices don't punch each other in the face, but that's because you don't walk into an office and rip on somebody in front of people. And if you do, there are consequences, such as you getting fired.

On a pro basketball team, if Tony doesn't stand up for himself, nobody else will. Crying about it to management/the organization isn't going to accomplish anything. Sitting there and taking it just makes you more of a target. I really don't think I can emphasize enough how limited Tony's options were in this situation.

Plus, I generally don't believe in absolutes like "you should never hit anybody, ever". In an office that might be true, since there are MANY ways to deal with your grievances. But I haven't heard anybody suggest a better option for Tony.

I'm sure right now Tony is thinking whatever he was fined was worth it... he got Mayo to shut up, made his point, and did it without looking like a wimp (which I imagine is a pretty big deal when you're on a professional team). Hard to argue with the results.

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Apparently Tony didn't punch Mayo over the debt, he punched him because he was running his mouth. Aka making fun of him in front of other people, disrespecting him, however you want to call it.

Yeah, co-workers in offices don't punch each other in the face, but that's because you don't walk into an office and rip on somebody in front of people. And if you do, there are consequences, such as you getting fired.

On a pro basketball team, if Tony doesn't stand up for himself, nobody else will. Crying about it to management/the organization isn't going to accomplish anything. Sitting there and taking it just makes you more of a target. I really don't think I can emphasize enough how limited Tony's options were in this situation.

Plus, I generally don't believe in absolutes like "you should never hit anybody, ever". In an office that might be true, since there are MANY ways to deal with your grievances. But I haven't heard anybody suggest a better option for Tony.

I'm sure right now Tony is thinking whatever he was fined was worth it... he got Mayo to shut up, made his point, and did it without looking like a wimp (which I imagine is a pretty big deal when you're on a professional team). Hard to argue with the results.

If that is Tony Allen's level of maturity, I am glad he is off the Celtics. 

I can't stand it when grown men act like little school children out on the playground. 

Want a better way to deal with? 

Grow up Tony Allen.  You are not a teenager a poverty area.  You are a Millionaire and a professional.  Try acting like it.

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

I can't stand it when grown men act like little school children out on the playground. 

Grow up Tony Allen.  You are not a teenager a poverty area.  You are a Millionaire and a professional.  Try acting like it.

Because teenagers in upper or middle class areas never take unfortunate actions and there is a correlation beween wealth and professionalism?

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Because teenagers in upper or middle class areas never take unfortunate actions and there is a correlation beween wealth and professionalism?

There is correlation between where TA grew up and where he is now.  He is no longer in the same situation, he doesn't need to act like he is.

And as someone who has taught high school in both types of areas, YES, there is a gigantic difference between those situations.  It doesn't stop kids from being knuckleheads, but it happens less often.  (a lot less often.  In one school there was at least 4 fights a week and a few arrests.  In the other, maybe one or two fights a year.  Only two arrests all year)

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The best thing about this story: Tony Allen wears someone else's uniform.

Tony Allen's departure was addition by subtraction for the Celtics.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."