Author Topic: Tony Allen lumps up OJ Mayo in altercation  (Read 21980 times)

Re: Tony Allen lumps up OJ Mayo in altercation
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Okay so OJ instigated it, so what? That doesn't excuse Tony for hitting him. Its not okay to physically assault someone, especially a co-worker.

Not really cut and dry as all that in my mind.

What other job has a workforce compiled entirely of rich, testosterone-loaded, peak physical specimens that are used to be being alpha dogs for most of their lives? On top of that, what job forces said alpha dogs to sit around for long periods of time with absolutely nothing to do (on bus and plane rides)?

I mean, Frank from accounting never duffs up Trevor from H&R because A) Frank is not about to get at some dude over the $40 Trevor borrowed the other night at Bennigans, and B) there would never be the opportunity. At most jobs, you work, then you go home. On teams, even professional ones, you have to spend lots of time with your teammates whether you like them or not.

Just a lot more factors involved than 'just a gambling debt' and 'never hit a co-worker'. Obviously having a cooler head would be ideal, but I'd bet a million dollars that at some point Larry Bird punched a teammate for one reason or another. I doubt it was a Boo-Ray debt, because Larry would never lose, but you know what I'm saying. Teams are one big happy family, but being brothers never stopped two guys from fighting.

I'm much more willing to excuse a fight that's related to athletic competition, and if this happened on the practice court, I doubt many would be criticizing Tony. 

However, when a guy has a track record of physical violence and then gets into a fight with a teammate for flapping his gums, I see it as an issue.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Boo-Ray causes a lot of problems lol.

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Okay so OJ instigated it, so what? That doesn't excuse Tony for hitting him. Its not okay to physically assault someone, especially a co-worker.

What other job has a workforce compiled entirely of rich, testosterone-loaded, peak physical specimens that are used to be being alpha dogs for most of their lives? On top of that, what job forces said alpha dogs to sit around for long periods of time with absolutely nothing to do (on bus and plane rides)?

I mean, Frank from accounting never duffs up Trevor from H&R because A) Frank is not about to get at some dude over the $40 Trevor borrowed the other night at Bennigans, and B) there would never be the opportunity. At most jobs, you work, then you go home. On teams, even professional ones, you have to spend lots of time with your teammates whether you like them or not.

Just a lot more factors involved than 'just a gambling debt' and 'never hit a co-worker'. Obviously having a cooler head would be ideal, but I'd bet a million dollars that at some point Larry Bird punched a teammate for one reason or another. I doubt it was a Boo-Ray debt, because Larry would never lose, but you know what I'm saying. Teams are one big happy family, but being brothers never stopped two guys from fighting.

I'm much more willing to excuse a fight that's related to athletic competition, and if this happened on the practice court, I doubt many would be criticizing Tony. 

However, when a guy has a track record of physical violence and then gets into a fight with a teammate for flapping his gums, I see it as an issue.

Well to play devil's advocate, what about Larry Bird getting into a bar fight during the playoffs, and allegedly badly injuring his hand (I don't quite remember if that was proven to be true but I recall it was).  The Celts ended up getting bounced from the playoffs because Bird played with a bum hand.  I don't know.  Maybe Bird is a thug also.

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Well to play devil's advocate, what about Larry Bird getting into a bar fight during the playoffs, and allegedly badly injuring his hand (I don't quite remember if that was proven to be true but I recall it was).  The Celts ended up getting bounced from the playoffs because Bird played with a bum hand.  I don't know.  Maybe Bird is a thug also.

Bird was a thug.  But he was also a heck a lot better player, so a lot more was forgiven. 

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Well to play devil's advocate, what about Larry Bird getting into a bar fight during the playoffs, and allegedly badly injuring his hand (I don't quite remember if that was proven to be true but I recall it was).  The Celts ended up getting bounced from the playoffs because Bird played with a bum hand.  I don't know.  Maybe Bird is a thug also.

I don't think many people condone that, but they're willing to overlook it because of Larry's overall greatness.  Of the court, though, he was at best a jerk.

The fight was in the '85 Eastern Conference Finals, when Larry allegedly went after a bar owner who beat up one of his friends.  Even with the injured hand, Larry put up 23.5p / 8.8r / 4.5a.  But yeah, it would have been better if he had avoided the situation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Mayo must be even thicker than Tony to mess with him. Youngster may have had it coming; but Tony is too easily baited.

He walked away from it and we he came back from the restroom Mayo was still there. Everyone as a limit a Mayo pushed it too far. With his salary paying a debt should not be an issue.

With Tony's history, you would hope that he would know better than to criminally batter somebody over talking smack to him.  Last I knew, "he was in my face talking to me" doesn't justify physical violence.

Mayo is a punk and should have paid his debt, but Tony continues to be a thug.

Pretty harsh.

How so?  That's at least the third highly publicized fight Tony has been in.  Cracking somebody upside the head because they were talking smack about gambling debts?  That seems pretty thuggish to me.
I don't really see the difference between fighting over a money debt and fighting over a game or practice.   A fight is a fight, it's just the way some guys solve disputes and it's been happening since the beginning of time.   Three publicized fights is not a big deal.  I don't see how you can consider someone a thug for getting into fights.  If anything OJ was being more of a thug by refusing to pay what he owed, and then deciding to get in TONY's face.  If Tony didn't do something he probably would have lost some respect with his teammates.

For instance how is what Delonte did to Wafer any different?  They had an altercation and then WAFER walked away, not Delonte.  He then proceeded to follow him into the locker-room to pick a fight.  How is fighting due to talking smack over someone's basketball skills any more mature than talking smack over owed money?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
\Three publicized fights is not a big deal.  I don't see how you can consider someone a thug for getting into fights.

I guess we disagree on what a thug is.  Somebody who handles disputes through violence pretty much fits the definition to me.

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Rocket science still does not appear to be in TA's future! :-\
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Mayo must be even thicker than Tony to mess with him. Youngster may have had it coming; but Tony is too easily baited.

He walked away from it and we he came back from the restroom Mayo was still there. Everyone as a limit a Mayo pushed it too far. With his salary paying a debt should not be an issue.

With Tony's history, you would hope that he would know better than to criminally batter somebody over talking smack to him.  Last I knew, "he was in my face talking to me" doesn't justify physical violence.

Pretty harsh.

How so?  That's at least the third highly publicized fight Tony has been in.  Cracking somebody upside the head because they were talking smack about gambling debts?  That seems pretty thuggish to me.
I don't really see the difference between fighting over a money debt and fighting over a game or practice.   A fight is a fight, it's just the way some guys solve disputes and it's been happening since the beginning of time.   Three publicized fights is not a big deal.  I don't see how you can consider someone a thug for getting into fights.  If anything OJ was being more of a thug by refusing to pay what he owed, and then deciding to get in TONY's face.  If Tony didn't do something he probably would have lost some respect with his teammates.

For instance how is what Delonte did to Wafer any different?  They had an altercation and then WAFER walked away, not Delonte.  He then proceeded to follow him into the locker-room to pick a fight.  How is fighting due to talking smack over someone's basketball skills any more mature than talking smack over owed money?

What Delonte did is the same thing.  He is a thug also. 

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Tony Allen: "Make my words. You don't need a degree in rocket appliances to understand. If you don't stop yappin, OJ, yore gonn getit. What goes around is all around!"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Pretty harsh.

What Delonte did is the same thing.  He is a thug also. 

Delonte has been diagnosed with mental health issues.  Generally apologizes and gets back in treatment.  Additionally Delonte is about 10x's smarter on the court.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Tony Allen: "Make my words. You don't need a degree in rocket appliances to understand. If you don't stop yappin, OJ, yore gonn getit. What goes around is all around!"

Does make one wonder about the quality of the card game--there may be some easy money there!

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

Does make one wonder about the quality of the card game--there may be some easy money there!

The game is Bourre (accent on the "e").  It's basically a "trick" taking game, similar to spades.  Very popular in Cajun country, southern Louisiana.  Kinda surprised to see that it's so popular with millionaires on jets.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
\Three publicized fights is not a big deal.  I don't see how you can consider someone a thug for getting into fights.

I guess we disagree on what a thug is.  Somebody who handles disputes through violence pretty much fits the definition to me.

Roy, you must be easy to punk. Just walk away & have some tea, lol. I'm glad TA taught Mayo a lesson.

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
...and after the fight, Mayo's face resembled a plate of salmon and mashed potatoes, so Allen went after him with a fork and knife.   ;)