Author Topic: Tony Allen lumps up OJ Mayo in altercation  (Read 22017 times)

Re: Tony Allen lumps up OJ Mayo in altercation
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Just glad we don't have teammates fighting around here... err, nevermind.

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
It's just a card game guys, why get so testy? Someone must have screwed up TA's order of "Salmon and mashed potatoes".

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Judging by Tony's history, I think OJ got off pretty easy.  Its a good thing they don't allow entourage's on the plane. 
Some teams do allow that, I know Cleveland did for LeBron...

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
Mayo must be even thicker than Tony to mess with him. Youngster may have had it coming; but Tony is too easily baited.

He walked away from it and we he came back from the restroom Mayo was still there. Everyone as a limit a Mayo pushed it too far. With his salary paying a debt should not be an issue.

With Tony's history, you would hope that he would know better than to criminally batter somebody over talking smack to him.  Last I knew, "he was in my face talking to me" doesn't justify physical violence.

Mayo is a punk and should have paid his debt, but Tony continues to be a thug.

Pretty harsh.

How so?  That's at least the third highly publicized fight Tony has been in.  Cracking somebody upside the head because they were talking smack about gambling debts?  That seems pretty thuggish to me.

Though, reading the article (and a Woj should be taken with an * ((non-Lebron related he may have a slight bit more cred)) it seems quite clear OJ instigated it, TA got up, walked away to let the situation subside and OJ continued/started it up again. Seems like TA did what he could to not have the situation escalate while Mayo did all he could to do so. I'm not labeling the guy a "thug" for that. And, OJ was talking when he was the one who owed the money. TA, being owed money, still got up and walked away from it. Neither is a "thug" and TA the more so for the facts as revealed so far.

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Mayo must be even thicker than Tony to mess with him. Youngster may have had it coming; but Tony is too easily baited.

He walked away from it and we he came back from the restroom Mayo was still there. Everyone as a limit a Mayo pushed it too far. With his salary paying a debt should not be an issue.

With Tony's history, you would hope that he would know better than to criminally batter somebody over talking smack to him.  Last I knew, "he was in my face talking to me" doesn't justify physical violence.

Pretty harsh.

How so?  That's at least the third highly publicized fight Tony has been in.  Cracking somebody upside the head because they were talking smack about gambling debts?  That seems pretty thuggish to me.

Though, reading the article (and a Woj should be taken with an * ((non-Lebron related he may have a slight bit more cred)) it seems quite clear OJ instigated it, TA got up, walked away to let the situation subside and OJ continued/started it up again. Seems like TA did what he could to not have the situation escalate while Mayo did all he could to do so. I'm not labeling the guy a "thug" for that. And, OJ was talking when he was the one who owed the money. TA, being owed money, still got up and walked away from it. Neither is a "thug" and TA the more so for the facts as revealed so far.
Okay so OJ instigated it, so what? That doesn't excuse Tony for hitting him. Its not okay to physically assault someone, especially a co-worker.

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Pretty harsh.

Okay so OJ instigated it, so what? That doesn't excuse Tony for hitting him. Its not okay to physically assault someone, especially a co-worker.

Exactly.  For thugs, the only way to resolve conflict is through violence.  For normal people, they could go sit down in their seat.  Also, of course, this isn't Tony's first violent incident.

It's not like I said OJ was in the clear.  He's a punk for not paying a debt and then running his mouth about it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Don't worry Roy, its all good because OJ texted Tony after he had a good game last night  ::).

This just makes me dislike OJ Mayo even more.

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Pretty harsh.

Exactly.  For thugs, the only way to resolve conflict is through violence.  For normal people, they could go sit down in their seat.  Also, of course, this isn't Tony's first violent incident.

It's not like I said OJ was in the clear.  He's a punk for not paying a debt and then running his mouth about it.

Well, seemed like TA did what he could to walk away, etc. These things happen, people do hit each other at times, it doesn't make them thugs. For good or bad there is a difference between a basketball team and an office environment. Was this the best thing to do? Of course not. But it does come across to this reader that TA did attempt to meliorate the situtation and Mayo did all he could to further provoke it. Oh well, difference of opinion.

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Don't worry Roy, its all good because OJ texted Tony after he had a good game last night  ::).

Remember all the uproar when the Twolves trades the rights to OJ for Kevin Love?  A lot of folks thought the Timberwolves got fleeced.  Looks like they got that one right.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Well, seemed like TA did what he could to walk away, etc. These things happen, people do hit each other at times, it doesn't make them thugs. For good or bad there is a difference between a basketball team and an office environment. Was this the best thing to do? Of course not. But it does come across to this reader that TA did attempt to meliorate the situtation and Mayo did all he could to further provoke it. Oh well, difference of opinion.
The difference in enviroment doesn't change who Tony Allen is. I've played plenty of card games if anyone ever punched someone over a bet he wouldn't be invited back ever.

Of course neither would the guy who refused to pay up.

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If the story is correct, OJ got lumped for the talking not for the money. Sometimes when you can't shut your mouth it has to be shut for you. Sounds like that's what happened to OJ. You can only let a guy slide for so long.

With that said, come on over OJ. We promise the big bad Tony won't hurt anymore if you come to Boston. KG will protect you.

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Remember all the uproar when the Twolves trades the rights to OJ for Kevin Love?  A lot of folks thought the Timberwolves got fleeced.  Looks like they got that one right.
I was a big fan of that move for Minny. Mayo didn't impress me with his play at USC.

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
[Edited.  Personal attacks and labeling other posters are not permitted. -RH]  

The important things to remember from this incident:

1. the Grizzlies investigated and found OJ Mayo largely responsible for the escalation into violence.  As a result, they 'unofficially' suspended Mayo, and started TA in his place.  TA was later instrumental in helping the Grizzlies upset OKC, hitting 2 three-pointers late in the 4th quarter, as well as 2 late FTs to ice the game.

2. Fights happen all the time in athletic endeavors.  They're forgotten as soon as they end, except by those of us who feed on the 24-hour news cycle.

3. Everybody knows you don't mess with Tony Allen.  OJ shoulda read the scouting report and paid his debts in a timely manner.  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:58:43 PM by Roy H. »
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Not really cut and dry as all that in my mind.

What other job has a workforce compiled entirely of rich, testosterone-loaded, peak physical specimens that are used to be being alpha dogs for most of their lives? On top of that, what job forces said alpha dogs to sit around for long periods of time with absolutely nothing to do (on bus and plane rides)?

I mean, Frank from accounting never duffs up Trevor from H&R because A) Frank is not about to get at some dude over the $40 Trevor borrowed the other night at Bennigans, and B) there would never be the opportunity. At most jobs, you work, then you go home. On teams, even professional ones, you have to spend lots of time with your teammates whether you like them or not.

Just a lot more factors involved than 'just a gambling debt' and 'never hit a co-worker'. Obviously having a cooler head would be ideal, but I'd bet a million dollars that at some point Larry Bird punched a teammate for one reason or another. I doubt it was a Boo-Ray debt, because Larry would never lose, but you know what I'm saying. Teams are one big happy family, but being brothers never stopped two guys from fighting.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The most shocking thing about the whole situation is that TA hit 2 meaningful 3-pointers in a game.  The "steal and completely muff the breakaway layup" sequence was much more like the TA we know.

I think the moral of the fight is "don't play 'match the pot' games with oversized multi-millionaires"