Poll

Favorite Holiday Movie

A Christmas Story
9 (56.3%)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
2 (12.5%)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
1 (6.3%)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
0 (0%)
Elf
1 (6.3%)
Fred Claus
0 (0%)
The Santa Clause
0 (0%)
It's a Wonderful Life
1 (6.3%)
Miracle on 34th Street
0 (0%)
Bad Santa
0 (0%)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
1 (6.3%)
Scrooged
0 (0%)
The Year Without a Santa Claus
0 (0%)
Ernest Saves Christmas
0 (0%)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
1 (6.3%)
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
0 (0%)
A Child's Christmas In Wales
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Is "A Christmas Story" really a classic? / Favorite Holiday movie poll  (Read 4733 times)

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Ok this thread has two purposes, 1) to discuss the legitimacy of A Christmas Story as a top tier holiday movie, and 2) to run a poll of your favorite holiday movie.

For the last few years, I’ve noticed TBS has their annual “24 hours of A Christmas Story” marathon, and I find myself asking why?

When it comes to classic holiday movie discussions, I don't think I've ever met people who consider “A Christmas Story” their favorite.  It seems to me movies like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original animated), The Year Without a Santa Clause, are all much more popular, as well as older movies like It’s a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

I admit, I’ve never seen A Christmas Story, but the thing is I have absolutely no desire to.  The commercials I constantly see on TBS don’t appeal to me, and I’ve never met anyone who really praises it.  Most people will say something like, “you’ve never seen A Christmas Story, it’s a classic.”  But that’s really all they have to say about it, where the only reason you’re supposed to see it is because it’s a considered a classic, not because it’s a great movie.  As opposed to Christmas Vacation, everybody I know thinks that movie is hilarious, yet it’s doesn’t air nearly as much (but maybe it’s just my circle of friends, or maybe I’m not watching the right channels).

I’ve never seen movies like Fred Clause or Elf or the Jim Carrey Grinch or Scrooged, but I would be much more likely to watch them if they were on.  I’d be more likely to watch 24 Hours of Ernest Saves Christmas than 24 Hours of a Christmas Story.

So tell me, is A Christmas Story really a classic holiday movie?

And what’s your favorite holiday movie?

(I’ll add to the poll as you guys let me know).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Is "A Christmas Story" really a classic? / Favorite Holiday movie poll
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I voted for Elf.

But I do absolutely consider A christmas story to be a classic holiday movie. Maybe the first one I think of. Not necessarily a favorite, but a great movie and a classic. Elf is just too funny.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Ok this thread has two purposes, 1) to discuss the legitimacy of A Christmas Story as a top tier holiday movie, and 2) to run a poll of your favorite holiday movie.

For the last few years, I’ve noticed TBS has their annual “24 hours of A Christmas Story” marathon, and I find myself asking why?

When it comes to classic holiday movie discussions, I don't think I've ever met people who consider “A Christmas Story” their favorite.  It seems to me movies like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original animated), The Year Without a Santa Clause, are all much more popular, as well as older movies like It’s a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

I admit, I’ve never seen A Christmas Story, but the thing is I have absolutely no desire to.  The commercials I constantly see on TBS don’t appeal to me, and I’ve never met anyone who really praises it.  Most people will say something like, “you’ve never seen A Christmas Story, it’s a classic.”  But that’s really all they have to say about it, where the only reason you’re supposed to see it is because it’s a considered a classic, not because it’s a great movie.  As opposed to Christmas Vacation, everybody I know thinks that movie is hilarious, yet it’s doesn’t air nearly as much (but maybe it’s just my circle of friends, or maybe I’m not watching the right channels).

I’ve never seen movies like Fred Clause or Elf or the Jim Carrey Grinch or Scrooged, but I would be much more likely to watch them if they were on.  I’d be more likely to watch 24 Hours of Ernest Saves Christmas than 24 Hours of a Christmas Story.

So tell me, is A Christmas Story really a classic holiday movie?

And what’s your favorite holiday movie?

(I’ll add to the poll as you guys let me know).

Not my favorite movie, but parts of it are very funny. I have kids that I would guess have seen it 20+ times.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I appreciate the skepticism, but I gotta go with A Christmas Story.  It's a Wonderful Life is a close second.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Christmas Story without question is THE classic Christmas movie. Scrooged comes in second.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite.

I do consider A Christmas Story to be a classic.  Also, you need to see Elf and Scrooged; both are very funny Christmas movies.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I voted for Grinch, cause it was the one show I'd get psyched for as a kid. It's very nostalgic to even catch a few minutes of it every year-it means christmas is here.

I also like Elf, Christmas Story is definitely an xmas movie, and I just saw Miracle on 34th Street for the first time. They all get you in the spirit...

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »

Offline Stu

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 44
Rudolph is definitely my favorite, and I'd vote for it if it were one of the options.

A Christmas Story is a decent movie, but not worthy of 24 hours straight.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Christmas Story is definitely a classic.  it has so many humorous aspects to it that it seems everyone can relate to at least some part of it.  from that perspective, it's definitely a classic.

I voted for Christmas vacation.  Christmas Story used to be my favorite but the 24-hour marathon has been overkill for me.  animated Grinch is the best cartoon special by far

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rudolph is definitely my favorite, and I'd vote for it if it were one of the options.

A Christmas Story is a decent movie, but not worthy of 24 hours straight.

My favorite Christmas movie is "A Child's Christmas In Wales", but that's one nobody has ever heard of I think.

My second favorite is rudolph.

Then A Christmas Story

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Diehard is the greatest Christmas movie ever.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  animated Grinch is the best cartoon special by far

The Grinch is great, but I'm a Charlie Brown guy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
A Christmas Story was a favorite of mine growing up.  I still have a soft spot for it, but the whole 24 marathon is making it a little played out.

I'd say the biggest Christmas movie for my family is Christmas Vacation.  We've had to have watched it 50+ times.

On the animated side, I'll take Charlie Brown over the Grinch every day of the week.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 01:37:12 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
While I consider A Christmas Story to be a classic, I voted for Nightmare.

What about Christmas on Mars?