Author Topic: What's happened to Ricky Rubio?  (Read 5956 times)

What's happened to Ricky Rubio?
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just finished watching a story on Ricky Rubio on Outside the Lines First Reports that is questioning whether he is as good as all the hype. He had a sub par World Championships, he had a bad game versus the Lakers in the preseason, he has Pau Gasol saying that he really hasn't improved as much as he thought he should have over the last two years and now he's off to a dreadfully slow start in Euroleague.

His current stats are:

21.0 MPG
6.9 PPG
2.3 RPG
2.9 APG
1.9 STPG
2.0 TOPG
38.7 FG%
25.0 3PT%
87.9 FT%

Has he plateaued? Has he been all hype? Is he just bored with the competition? I have to admit I don't know but it boggles my mind to think that he has as many "experts" saying that he is going to be a superstar NBA player but that he can't dominate or even play well in a secondary league.

For our friends who have seen him play this year and last, a little scouting work would be nice. What's up with him? Has the time for Minnesota to get maximum value for him if they trade him no passed? Will he even bother coming over if he continues to struggle in Europe?

Re: What's happened to Ricky Rubio?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think he really needs to get to the US.  That is where his future is, and he needs to be learning the NBA system sooner rather than later.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Minny should work out some sort of trade to bring him in or get something for him. I guess waiting for the lockout makes sense in some ways...

BTW - if there is a lock out will a cadre of the NBA's middle class had to Europe? Will the NBA recover from that?

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
The number that jumps out at me is the assists. 

Last year, I thought he was like a very young Rondo, in that he's a pass-first, pass-second, pass-third PG.  So he might not get the points, but he got assists.

Lately--although I've only seen him in like one game since the FIBA worlds--he looked passive.  I attribute it to a looming clinical depression caused by the thought of being subject to the whims of Kahn The Magnificent.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Minny should work out some sort of trade to bring him in or get something for him. I guess waiting for the lockout makes sense in some ways...

BTW - if there is a lock out will a cadre of the NBA's middle class had to Europe? Will the NBA recover from that?

Well, only free agents will be allowed to head to Europe.  I imagine a bunch of them will though.  But I also think almost all of them will return to the NBA as soon as they can, and they will work in clauses to their contract so they can return to the NBA when the lockout ends.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
We've seen a lot of players (Brandon Jennings comes to mind immediately) who have put up lackluster numbers in Europe and then flourished in the NBA.  Conversely, there have been players who have dominated in Europe and barely cracked rotations here (Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez).

It's not really possible to pass judgment on Rubio yet.  Wait until he actually plays in the NBA.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He'll resurface as soon as the Wolves find a way to trade his rights to a major market.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in a non-playground format (FIBA olympics, etc) and see how he functions with the same teammates all year.  Hard to get a read when NBATV plays only 1-2 of his games in a season.

What little I've seen tells me his game will translate to the NBA very well if he finds a Phoenix / Knicks-type team to play on.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:45:16 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Well, only free agents will be allowed to head to Europe.  I imagine a bunch of them will though.  But I also think almost all of them will return to the NBA as soon as they can, and they will work in clauses to their contract so they can return to the NBA when the lockout ends.
If you get locked out, why wouldn't players with small contracts jump to Europe it the offer is good? How is the contract binding while you are being locked out?

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

Offline GarnetTR

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm watching him in Euroleague and he's really having a bad season. The main reason is that his shot mechanic is too bad so he can't shoot consistently enough from almost everywhere. Since he's a point guard his shoot performance is a huge barrier to his other skills (just like Rondo in 2008 NBA finals), but he's still 20 years old. Hopefully he improves his shooting.
"Don't be a Buddhist. World doesn't need more Buddhists.

Work for distributing love. World needs much more love.">>>Dalai Lama

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:45:41 PM »

Offline Severus21

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Yeah I agree his shooting could do with some improvement, but i really think he has time on his side for this. If he could improve his shooting he would be very dangerous as his passing and court vision is already very good. Don't forget that Sada and Lakovic have been getting lots of minutes at PG as well for Barca.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
He needs to get over to the NBA.  Euroleague is a waste of his talents.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:46:45 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
He'll resurface as soon as the Wolves find a way to trade his rights to a major market.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in a non-playground format (FIBA olympics, etc) and see how he functions with the same teammates all year.  Hard to get a read when NBATV plays only 1-2 of his games in a season.

What little I've seen tells me his game will translate to the NBA very well if he finds a Phoenix / Knicks-type team to play on.

Players like Rubio really p--- me off. Playing in the NBA is not some given right he should not be allowed to dictate where he plays he should be grateful to be on any team. He has yet to prove anything in the NBA and until he does he should keep quiet.