Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413196 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Saw episode 3 (and 2 last week of course) too and I really enjoyed it. So far the series has been simply great, I have very few complaints here and there (the fact that Jon always appears without Ghost while they are supposed to be together 90% of the time in the books for example).

The cast is just perfect, I have no problem with any of the actors (I like Robert personally!). Arya and Littlefinger are just perfect,  I always pictured them exactly like that.

Also I really like the length of the episodes, which allow them to develop the characters and the stories at ease and the balance between the different areas/characters has been very good so far. Can't wait for the next episode!

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It was not the most exciting of episodes, but they are doing a nice job of easing us into the ever growing cast of characters.  There's just so much development to undertake.  I can't imagine watching this series w/o having read the books.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think it is setting things up for something big...episode 3 was slow...but it laid the groundwork for a lot to come

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Peter Dinklage has the biggest presence on screen of anyone in the whole show. Just wow...every single scene with Tyrion is a winner.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Robert Barathian should've been a little more this guy:

And a little less this guy:

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Peter Dinklage has the biggest presence on screen of anyone in the whole show. Just wow...every single scene with Tyrion is a winner.

I agree, Tyrion really steals the show.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Did you read the books? I've only 'read' (listened on tape) the first one..and he was at once awesome and pitiful. In the show, he's all awesome so far.

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Did you read the books? I've only 'read' (listened on tape) the first one..and he was at once awesome and pitiful. In the show, he's all awesome so far.

There are a bunch of characters I'd always look forward to revisiting in the books (sometimes after 100's of pages w/o seeing them).  Tyrion is right up there.  Plus he appears in so many different locations. I think more than any other character he crosses over to touch several different plot lines.
Yup

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

There are a bunch of characters I'd always look forward to revisiting in the books (sometimes after 100's of pages w/o seeing them).  Tyrion is right up there.  Plus he appears in so many different locations. I think more than any other character he crosses over to touch several different plot lines.

Tyrion kind of personifies the imperfect humanity of the Lannisters. I wonder if that is intentional, or if Martin intended that, or if he just wanted to write a snarky pucky character that people would like.

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
I've been enjoying the show so far. I'm glad I've read the books because some of the character development and personality have gotten shafted thus far, which is always an issue when adapted a book. I'm not mad about it, I'm just glad I have the richer background knowledge.

All of the acting has been great so far. I've been very impressed with the kids, Bran and Arya in particular. Michelle Fairely's Catelyn is excellent. She's one character that I think has actually benefited from the translation to screen.

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:29 AM »

Offline Yusuf Mohammed

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Saw episode 3 (and 2 last week of course) too and I really enjoyed it. So far the series has been simply great, I have very few complaints here and there (the fact that Jon always appears without Ghost while they are supposed to be together 90% of the time in the books for example).

The cast is just perfect, I have no problem with any of the actors (I like Robert personally!). Arya and Littlefinger are just perfect,  I always pictured them exactly like that.

Also I really like the length of the episodes, which allow them to develop the characters and the stories at ease and the balance between the different areas/characters has been very good so far. Can't wait for the next episode!

Is the film saw is now a Series?

Or what?

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Episode 4's ending was pretty great.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Yea 5 and beyond should be great, that Incident leads to the war kicking off in pretty short order

I liked four, thought Sam was well done (and yea ghost)

Also liked Danny showing her evolution into a queen. I was ticked last episode when they didn't hav her tell viserys to walk, but this made up for it

Only thin I really didn't like this week was the indomitablly long bath tub scene where viserys explained the entire history of his family. I mean, I get that they want to get that actor more screen time before the ummm incident that's comic up shortly, and that they have to have those scenes because the books do alot of that stuff through internal POV monologues, but that one just felt forced

Interested to see if people who haven't read the books found that scene jarring an out of place or if it was needed to close some gaps In that families history.

At least it had a cute topless girl in it to try to make it more bareable ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Yea 5 and beyond should be great, that Incident leads to the war kicking off in pretty short order

Also liked Danny showing her evolution into a queen. I was ticked last episode when they didn't hav her tell viserys to walk, but this made up for it

Only thin I really didn't like this week was the indomitablly long bath tub scene where viserys explained the entire history of his family. I mean, I get that they want to get that actor more screen time before the ummm incident that's comic up shortly, and that they have to have those scenes because the books do alot of that stuff through internal POV monologues, but that one just felt forced

Interested to see if people who haven't read the books found that scene jarring an out of place or if it was needed to close some gaps In that families history.

I haven't read the books and I just found that scene kind of boring.  Didn't pay much attention.  Their family is related to dragons?  Or they were dragon riders?  What?  It's really unclear to me what they're getting at. 

I've gotten the visual hints that the kaleesy (spelling) girl is feeling some connection with the dragon eggs.  I don't much care for her brother or their family's history.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Yeh, the tub scene was a little uncomfortable, but they did manage to explain a whole bunch of history in a relatively short time w/o having to shoot a bunch of film.

I'd totally forgotten about Hodor...and the 3 eyed crow for that matter.

Sansa's slow realization of the the awful difference between her dreams of royal glamor and the sickening reality is gut wrenching to see evolve (though it seems to be more conspicuous in the show than the book).
Yup