Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413095 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130

However I do think they've made Jon Snow and Robb too old, especially Snow's "beard" while he is supposed to be 14 in the book... but it's quite possible they made him older in the series (Bran is 7 in the book and 10 in the series according to this excerpt).

I'm really curious to read/hear what others readers think of this excerpt and also what non-readers of the books think of it, if it convinces them to watch the show, etc!

Yeah, they made a deliberate decision to age up the younger characters for the show. This probably has to do with (a) the very real problem of real-life puberty killing the timeline of a character on the show (ie. hey, what happened to his voice during the off-season? He grew two feet and it's only been a month on the show, what gives?) and (b) (trying to avoid spoilers here) some of the stuff the kids go through in the book might be slightly less uncomfortable to watch if they're older. For those who've read the books, you'll know what I mean.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
gotta get me HBO in time for the debut
Yup

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I can´t wait!

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is the perfect choice, I also like Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, and all the choices for the Lannisters.

I have a problem with the actor who plays Jon Snow, though. He looks way too mature and arrogant for my taste.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
debuts Sunday.  Can't wait and I've never even read the books.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:12:41 AM »

Offline Dante

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Ive read the books. Great!

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
debuts Sunday.  Can't wait and I've never even read the books.

gotta read the books some time

5th one is finally coming out soon (surprise, surprise to coincide with the hype over the show)
Yup

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Show was pretty solid.  Didn't like the ending, but from what I've read online that kind of stuff is common in the books.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
Never read the books (wish I had) but the show was pretty cool/odd.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Show was pretty solid.  Didn't like the ending, but from what I've read online that kind of stuff is common in the books.

I thought the show was pretty loyal to the books. 2 biggest complaints are that I didn't like the way they portrayed the "White Walkers", and I didn't really like how they short-changed a lot of Jon Snow's stuff..but I imagine part of that is because Snow gets so much facetime later.

Loved Tyrian, Jaime, Denarys, Drago, even Cersei. Truth be told, the biggest two male character in the first book, Ned and Robert, I was not really a huge fan of. I think they really miscast Robert Borathian.

Overall though a great show that I'm very excited about.

Also, for any of you with a 30-40 min commute, allow me to recommend the books on tape. I'm not sure where you guys might find it, but I'd look towards any pirates you might know, that live in estuaries...or bays.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I just watched the first episode and I loved it. Nothing to complain about except that I was shocked to see the Dothrakis always near to the sea while they're supposed to fear it like crazy in the books.

Other than that the show just stayed very close to the book without being a simple "copy paste", which is great. The actors are all great, the atmosphere is awesome and very close to what I envisioned while reading the story. Cersei, Daenerys, Ned and Robert are exactly like I pictured them.

Also I liked the fact that they kept the "shocking" stuff in the violence and sex scenes, my biggest fear was that they would censure them but they didn't. It's very important to the story and the atmosphere.

Loved the ending too, the scene is very well shot and the cliffhanger makes its effect even when you know what happens next. For people that think it's just "shocking" or "odd", don't worry, it plays a big role in the story, it's not done for nothing or whatever.

Can't wait for the next episode!

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So glad this show is a hit for HBO (2nd episode held it's intital very good ratings, which is awesome considering there was no free preview this past week)

Can't wait for sunday, they have the characters all set up now and stuff starts to get real at kings landing. Love the two actors they chose for ned and jamie, they are nailing those roles. i mean, check this preview out book fans and tell me this isn't the tension you get from the books everytime they interact.

they even nail the facial expressions (watch jamie when ned slaps him down with the "is that what you tell yourself at night? line, great way to get across Jamie's need for someone to understand why he did it and anger at having his attempt at an olive branch dismissed out of hand by stark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68KrOZgmXZw

side note: way to slap an open hand there ned.

That's what's always intrigued me about Jamie, he's not a good guy sure, but the act he's most [dang]ed for may have been his finest moment as a person.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The kid they chose as the Prince is pretty spot on too.

I keep thinking of other characters that come up in the books that will be cool to see represented.  I think it's a couple of books ahead, but some of the action beyond the wall should be cool to see.  And I'd like to see what that secret explosive green stuff looks like too!
Yup

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Chiming in, I agree that through 2 episodes their characterizations and portrayals of the book have been close to spot-on.  I worried that the inner development might get short-changed on screen, because the book chapters are all POV pieces and we get to experience so much of their inner dialog...which we can't on screen.  But so far, it looks promising.

I literally went out and got HBO on the Saturday before the premier, specifically for this show.  Even getting my wife to watch it so far, when normally medieval fantasy is NOT her thing.

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:17 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Just thought i'd bump this with my thoughts on episode 3

Strongest episode yet, and great pacing (helps that the audience knows who the characters are now, so they can just tell stories)

The wall looks epic, exactly how i always pictured it. Really liked the Tyroin/jon interactions this week

Littlefinger, Varys and silvio were all spot on for casting, all three gave good performances

The king continues to not impress...one of the only casting "misses" i feel like they have, but even so he's adequate.

Dany's actress is doing a great job portraying her ability to adapt and rise to power while her brother flounders.

Loved the ending scene with silvio and arya, awesome :D

"dead"

"dead"

"VERY dead"

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 12:36:20 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Loved the books, I even made a post here years ago when I heard HBO bought the rights.

The best part of this series is how many more fana there will be now, it seemed like such a well kept secret for so long, it needed to be shared with the masses.

Anyway , the series incredible.  I bought HBO last month for this very show.  I have no complaints about any of it because I'm so overwhelmed that it's actually on tv.