Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413070 times)

A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So pumped, do not screw this up HBO!

Although it looks like the Rome team, who got this series, are on the right track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFX6keD95o

Thoughts?

My only complaint is why do the lannisters (cersi and Jamie) in this clip have Brown hair? Is it really that hard to Dye that up?

I mean, compare this:

With cersi in this clip at around 40 seconds (note, love the actress choice however)

I know it's a nit picky thing, but the true golden, blonde hair is actually a plot point later in the Books, and i mean....Lannister = lion. Lions don't have medium brown hair.

But nit picky observations about my favorite house aside, Bring it on baby :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:19:24 PM by Kiorrik »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm as excited as you are for this series, although I must admit I'm kind of scared they are going to screw this up since the book is simply great (definitely the greatest medieval fantasy book ever)... the thing about the Lannister's hair color is a detail but it's weird, why didn't they keep the blonde color? And as you said it's more than a detail in the book, so it's a strange choice.

Anyway, the trailer reassured me a little bit, I just hope it stays true to the book and, most importantly, that it is well played by the actors (I didn't envision Tyrion like the one we see in the trailer at all :o).

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I'm as excited as you are for this series, although I must admit I'm kind of scared they are going to screw this up since the book is simply great (definitely the greatest medieval fantasy book ever)... the thing about the Lannister's hair color is a detail but it's weird, why didn't they keep the blonde color? And as you said it's more than a detail in the book, so it's a strange choice.

Anyway, the trailer reassured me a little bit, I just hope it stays true to the book and, most importantly, that it is well played by the actors (I didn't envision Tyrion like the one we see in the trailer at all :o).

I have faith, it's Peter Dinklage, he's one of the best character actors around, never mind the best little person actor :D

EDIT: another nit pick, and mabey it's just the color in the trailer, but Danni's hair doesn't look very silver.

Mabey it's that they don't want to shock the audience with an unnatural hair color, but I've always pictured her like she is in the card game art, with noticeably silver (not grey) hair.

That will be another interesting transition. In the trailer here she looks sufficiently innocent for the first book, but I hope that actress can pull off the character development.

Danni's transition from "scared little girl" to "daenerys stormborn, mother of dragons" and general butt whooping character.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:27:55 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald

I have faith, it's Peter Dinklage, he's one of the best character actors around, never mind the best little person actor :D

EDIT: another nit pick, and mabey it's just the color in the trailer, but Danni's hair doesn't look very silver.

Mabey it's that they don't want to shock the audience with an unnatural hair color, but I've always pictured her like she is in the card game art, with noticeably silver (not grey) hair.

That will be another interesting transition. In the trailer here she looks sufficiently innocent for the first book, but I hope that character can pull off the character development.

Danni's transition from "scared little girl" to "daenerys stormborn, mother of dragons" and general butt whooping character.

I don't know Peter Dinklage and obviously I can't judge him from one second in the trailer but I hope you're right!

Actually, by looking for more videos of the series, I found this one and I'm watching it right now :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVKp5nYxyI&feature=player_embedded#!

Mixed between the interviews of the cast, George R.R Martin and the directors are a lot of scenes from the first season so it's really interesting to see who is who! Littlefinger looks good, and Tyrion too! A must see video!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm definitely excited for this. Excellent casting so far (though I can't get Bean out of my head as Boromir). Martin is co-producing, attended a number of the auditions, made set visits, and wrote the script for episode 8 - I'm feeling confident that it will be true to his vision.

I actually like Dany's casting, but even more, I love Viserys. He only had one line in that behind the scenes preview, but he delivered it perfectly.

Word is that HBO already has all the staff on notice for a quick green-light of season 2. All they have to do is draw decent numbers and it's almost guaranteed.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Any word on when this will begin to air?

This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back in me getting HBO finally.

But never mind the TV series....WHEN IS HE GOING TO FINISH THE 5th BOOK ALREADY!?
Yup

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not sure what I am looking forward to more, the HBO series for A Game of Thrones or the next installment in the book series, A Dance with Dragons.

Sean Bean as Ned Stark is just fantastic casting. Its too bad he's not going to make it to season 2 as I just love the guy as an actor

Peter Dinklage is without a doubt the perfect actor for Tyrion Lannister. When I heard this was going to film I said to myself there was only one guy that could pull off Tyrion and that was Dinklage.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Not sure what I am looking forward to more, the HBO series for A Game of Thrones or the next installment in the book series, A Dance with Dragons.

Definitely Dance with Dragons, for me.  I've been waiting for the kids to grow up for almost 15 years now.  I'm dying to see what Bran is going to grow into, so the sooner Dance comes out the better!

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford

But never mind the TV series....WHEN IS HE GOING TO FINISH THE 5th BOOK ALREADY!?

Right now the word is an April airing. I've been following the buildup toward the show here for a few months now. Lot's of nit-picky details that die-hards probably appreciate more than I do, but also a good place for the latest word on... well, everything.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Right now the word is an April airing. I've been following the buildup toward the show here for a few months now. Lot's of nit-picky details that die-hards probably appreciate more than I do, but also a good place for the latest word on... well, everything.

The only nitpick i really have that has story implications is the lannister hair color not being bright gold, just because the hair color is a huge plot point to the story. which sounds weird i know, and i dont want to spoil so we'll leave it at that but people who've read the novel are with me on this.

That hair color gets the Lannister's, or at least cersi and jamie, in trouble, big time  ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford

The only nitpick i really have that has story implications is the lannister hair color not being bright gold, just because the hair color is a huge plot point to the story. which sounds weird i know, and i dont want to spoil so we'll leave it at that but people who've read the novel are with me on this.

That hair color gets the Lannister's, or at least cersi and jamie, in trouble, big time  ;)

Oh, I know what you're referring to, and I definitely wish the wigs/hair dye was better. None of the wigs are impressive, really. They all look pretty fake. The Lannisters' are more of a blunder than the Targaryens', though, for sure.

sidenote: whenever I watch that trailer and see Dinklage give Joffrey a slap, I chuckle a little.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
A long trailer is finally available... and it rocks! Here it is : http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/

Littlefinger looks really close to the character of the book, so purely awesome.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
The show is coming up next week and the first 13 minutes of the first episode can be seen in the following video (NFSW mostly because of very violent scenes though, beware) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQykXOukM2Q&feature=player_embedded

I really like what we see in this video. My biggest worry was that the violence of the book wouldn't be retranscripted but it looks just gore and great, the atmosphere in the woods with the "white walkers" is amazing (with all the corpses and the little girl mostly). I really like the actors so far too, Arya, Sansa, Ned and Bran are exactly as I pictured them. Catelyn's lone face annoys me like the character annoys me in the book so I guess it's a good choice. ;D

However I do think they've made Jon Snow and Robb too old, especially Snow's "beard" while he is supposed to be 14 in the book... but it's quite possible they made him older in the series (Bran is 7 in the book and 10 in the series according to this excerpt).

I'm really curious to read/hear what others readers think of this excerpt and also what non-readers of the books think of it, if it convinces them to watch the show, etc!

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Never read the books, but am looking forward to the HBO show.  Looks pretty sweet.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I will be watching also....Sean Bean is the man.

I also haven't read any books ever. :p

Again, Sean Bean is the man.