Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 414886 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1125 on: August 14, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Also, did anyone catch Gilly reading to Sam the account of the septon annulling a marriage of a Rhaegar in Dorne? I can't believe he didn't perk up to that. Dany's older brother's marriage to Ellia Martel was ANNULLED. Do you know what this means? Jon Snow is NOT a ****. Rhaegar married Lyanna Stark...
It also means he officially became the rightful heir to the Iron Throne yesterday as the only surviving natural-born child of the crown prince. Heh.

Yes exactly. His birth order would come first, which means Dany is technically rebelling against him by proclaiming herself queen lol.

Wasn't Jon Ned's kid.  Or was that just the story Ned told to uphold his sister's good name? Is Brandon the only one who knows that?  KInd of hazy on this part.
Jon is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.  They showed his birth in a flashback last season at the Tower of Joy.  Ned and Howland Reed (Meera's father) went to rescue the presumed to have been kidnapped Lyanna from Rhaegar, only to arrive as Lyanna was giving birth to Jon (it was that kidnapping that actually started Robert's Rebellion).  Lyanna died in child birth and as she was dying whispered something to Ned, which most presume was her request to protect Jon.  Ned swore Howland to secrecy and took Jon home as his ****.  Thus, protecting him from Robert Baretheon who made it his mission to kill all Targaryens.  Robert's mission to kill the Targaryen heirs has been on the show a lot.  From the assassins sent to kill Dany and her brother early on to Oberyn Martell agreeing to fight the Mountain to gain the truth of what happened to his sister Elia (who was the wife of Rhaegar before the annulment) and Elia's children with Rhaegar.

You also saw something similar with Cersei going around and killing all of Robert's ****s, with Gendry presumably being the only one that got away.  In a harsh world such as Westeros, in order to truly establish yourself as ruler, you need to eliminate all those that could possibly challenge you with a birthright.
Cersei didn't order Robert's ****s to be killed.  Joffrey did. 

Gendry may have been the only one to get away in KIng's landing but Robert would have had plenty of ****s across the seven kingdoms.
In the books Cersei gave the order.  I think they might have changed it for the show, but that change makes no sense as Joffrey didn't know he was not Robert's son and thus would have had no reason to kill what he believed to be his **** brothers.  Cersei on the other hand, knew Joffrey was not Robert's son and thus had everyone reason to eliminate Robert's actual children.

According to the prophecy Robert had 16 children.  I believe Cersei accounted for all of them except Gendry (though I don't recall if she thought he was accounted for or just hoped he was dead and would never show up).
Haven't read the books in quite a while but this is about the show.  Stannis' claim to the throne was that Joffrey and the others weren't Robert's children.  Joffrey confronted Cersei about the rumors and about Robert's **** children in the scene where she ends up slapping him.  Regardless of whether or not he believed the rumors, Joffrey most certainly had a reason to kill them since they could have been used by anyone at any time to try to usurp the throne. 

« Reply #1126 on: August 14, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Also, did anyone catch Gilly reading to Sam the account of the septon annulling a marriage of a Rhaegar in Dorne? I can't believe he didn't perk up to that. Dany's older brother's marriage to Ellia Martel was ANNULLED. Do you know what this means? Jon Snow is NOT a ****. Rhaegar married Lyanna Stark...
It also means he officially became the rightful heir to the Iron Throne yesterday as the only surviving natural-born child of the crown prince. Heh.

Yes exactly. His birth order would come first, which means Dany is technically rebelling against him by proclaiming herself queen lol.

Wasn't Jon Ned's kid.  Or was that just the story Ned told to uphold his sister's good name? Is Brandon the only one who knows that?  KInd of hazy on this part.

I've read too many fan theories at this point, so disclaimer that I might be adding things that didn't happen in the show. But we do know that Jon is said to be Ned's **** that he brought home after Robert's Rebellion. Ned tell's Jon he will tell him about his mother next time they meet, but get's his head lopped off. Rhaegar Targaryen "kidnapped" Lyanna Stark which is what started Robert's Rebellion. You see young Ned go to get her back at the Tower of Joy in Bran's vision. You see Lyanna die in a bed and make Ned promise to protect her son (I think she says "Jon" specifically?) Now we are being told Rhaegar had his marriage annulled, which could mean Jon isn't just a **** Targaryen, he's actually the legitimate one, and in line to get the throne BEFORE Dany would. Did I miss anything in the show?

Thanks for the summary.

Yup

« Reply #1127 on: August 20, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well, looks like all that speculation over who the three dragonriders would be was time well spent  ;)

Crazy episode. The show is turning into more and more of a cartoon but it's a fun cartoon at least.

« Reply #1128 on: August 20, 2017, 10:42:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

« Reply #1129 on: August 20, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
So that has to be Viserion, right? He's the weakest one in the books and the one named after her terrible brother. And it would only be too fitting to see Jon ride his father's namesake, Rhaegal.

« Reply #1130 on: August 20, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920
Latest episode (S7, E5) spoilers below;

So the "teleport"/"fast travel" method was in full display tonight, eh? We had Jaime and Bronn travel from Highgarden to King's Landing, Davos and Tyrion travel from Dragonstone to King's Landing AND back, and Jon's group travel from Dragonstone to the Wall all at different times in the episode. I don't really mind it, but after not employing this method of travel during the first six seasons, it's strange to do it now. That's the price to pay for shortened seasons, I guess.

I also don't quite get this quest to capture a wight. I can't see any way of it working, and it doesn't even seem like a feasible option that they would consider. It also has a Cersei trap written all over it. I don't really like criticizing show's that I'm this into, but to me this part of the plot seems like poor writing that I'm not really buying into.

Granted, I'm loving the dynamic of this group: Jon, Tormund, Jorah, Davos, Clegane, Gendry, Dondarion, and Thoros of Myr? That will be entertaining north of the Wall!
I don't mind the teleporting but can we change people's out fits or hair styles to show time passed.

Spoiler

And no longer a bas... is official in show (to the viewers at least). That is kind of a big deal.

Can hardly wait for some more action. Have to admit the previous episode made me think, if the scorpions can ground a dragon then dragons are toast if the wight giants can still use their bows.

That's funny, I was just reading a theory suggesting that, and in one of the first episodes it actyallly showed one of the giant wights holding a bow. Have to think that's more than a coinicidence, but it would also require Daenerys making a trip to the wall in the next two episodes.

And then the Night King could resurrect it and use it to melt the wall. HBO actually put out a promotional poster months before this season that had the Night King riding a dragon sitting atop the Wall. It'd be strange of them to actually foreshadow things that much, but there's certainly a possibility that's how the Army of the Dead gets past the Wall.

EDIT: Here's the poster. Supposedly it's Viserion, too, though that'd require other dragon riders to be identified, as well. Seems like too much to accomplish in the final two episodes.

Well, I thought the Giant's bow foreshadowing entailed it would be a Giant to take Viserion down, but I guess the Night King makes more sense. It could be that one of the Giants gets Rhaegal or Drogon, but I doubt it.

I'm now kind of expecting two things: 1) Jon to become a dragon rider on Rhaegal (named after his true father), and 2) the Night King uses Viserion to melt the wall, and the Army of the Dead goes past the Wall for the big spoiler leading into the final season. That's going to be one hell of a cliffhanger, especially since it's not supposed to debut until 2019 sometime.

Also, does the flaming sword that Beric was wielding represent Lightbringer? I couldn't figure that out.

« Reply #1131 on: August 21, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Dragonfight is coming.....

« Reply #1132 on: August 21, 2017, 05:59:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Well, looks like all that speculation over who the three dragonriders would be was time well spent  ;)

Crazy episode. The show is turning into more and more of a cartoon but it's a fun cartoon at least.

It sure is fun to watch but compared to previous seasons it is not up to par.

« Reply #1133 on: August 21, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Theory suggests Bran is the Night King. It's actually plausible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/living/4254025/game-of-thrones-theory-bran-night-king/amp/
Nah, looks mostly like clickbait nonsense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1134 on: August 21, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/living/4254025/game-of-thrones-theory-bran-night-king/amp/

I'm not sure. They devoted too much time on Bran throughout  the show for his role simply to tell Jon who is parents were. They also devoted time to the children of the forest and the creation of the Night King when if that were going nowhere they could've been better served showing flashbacks of the Mad King and/or Rhaeger. The Night King also seemed eager to be the one to kill the 3 Eyed Raven, and seems to have a special interest in both Jon Snow and young Bran. The Night King has to be someone of great importance. I'm doubtful it was simply the one shown to be sacrificed.

Jon Snow having to kill his brother/cousin/Bran/Night King to ultimately destroy the Army of Dead is a lot more meaningful than just killing a random person.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:30:37 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #1135 on: August 21, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It sure is fun to watch but compared to previous seasons it is not up to par.

Yeah the show made its name on "no one is safe! making bad decisions has bad consequences even for heroes!" And now is 100% the opposite.

Jon Snow was never gonna be in any real danger of dying no matter how stupid his plan and decisions were. And my family were all making jokes about Tormund finding a dumpster to hide under when they played like he was going to die (that incident was what got us to stop watching Walking Dead for good)

« Reply #1136 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'm not sure. They devoted too much time on Bran throughout  the show for his role simply to tell Jon who is parents were. They also devoted time to the children of the forest and the creation of the Night King when if that were going nowhere they could've been better served showing flashbacks of the Mad King and/or Rhaeger. The Night King also seemed eager to be the one to kill the 3 Eyed Raven, and seems to have a special interest in both Jon Snow and young Bran. The Night King has to be someone of great importance. I'm doubtful it was simply the one shown to be sacrificed.

Jon Snow having to kill his brother/cousin/Bran/Night King to ultimately destroy the Army of Dead is a lot more meaningful than just killing a random person.
Bran was nowhere to be seen for long stretches in the middle of the series. And to me he's always been mainly a convenient plot device to seamlessly introduce information that would otherwise be hard to weave into the show. Plus, the "justification" of this theory makes no sense whatsoever, and doesn't line up with the supposed "proof" from the series.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1137 on: August 21, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This season has really drove home how good George RR Martin is at writing these books. Since the show has passed the books the show runners have had trouble tying together plot lines and having characters act realistically in line with what we know about them.

Arya turning against Sansa is nonsense. Arya has been fighting to get home to her family her entire life, now she is going to threaten her only sister? That she had all this training, finding out the truth from the faithless men that she wouldn't figure out Littlefinger's plot is ridiculous.

Also I would have much rather had Jon fly to safety on the back of Rhaegal rather than be saved by Benjin.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #1138 on: August 21, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This season has really drove home how good George RR Martin is at writing these books. Since the show has passed the books the show runners have had trouble tying together plot lines and having characters act realistically in line with what we know about them.

Arya turning against Sansa is nonsense. Arya has been fighting to get home to her family her entire life, now she is going to threaten her only sister? That she had all this training, finding out the truth from the faithless men that she wouldn't figure out Littlefinger's plot is ridiculous.

Also I would have much rather had Jon fly to safety on the back of Rhaegal rather than be saved by Benjin.

That last bit definitely had some deus ex machina to it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:15:48 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1139 on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

That last bit definitely had some deus ex machine to it.

It's becoming a trend.... Not a very clever one. Since the Battle of the Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s it's the 4th time someone happens save the day literally on the last second. Not very inspired writing.

@fairweatherfan , @Evantime34 couldn't agree more. Unlike most i liked the first episodes cause it looked like they tried to keep things to together but lately everything seems to be rushed.
I still enjoy watching it though