Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413174 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1110 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, did anyone catch Gilly reading to Sam the account of the septon annulling a marriage of a Rhaegar in Dorne? I can't believe he didn't perk up to that. Dany's older brother's marriage to Ellia Martel was ANNULLED. Do you know what this means? Jon Snow is NOT a ****. Rhaegar married Lyanna Stark...
It also means he officially became the rightful heir to the Iron Throne yesterday as the only surviving natural-born child of the crown prince. Heh.

Yes exactly. His birth order would come first, which means Dany is technically rebelling against him by proclaiming herself queen lol.

I sure hope Sam took those records with him. I was clapping and shouting by myself when they revealed it.

Jon is the true king. The problem now is, the Northeners. How would take take this news if they found out? I think Littlefinger knows already...
He conveniently tossed the book to the kid to play with so I bet it conveniently ends up in their luggage. The way this show turbo-charges through material, I fully expect Sam to end up in Winterfell next episode, and for Bran to accidentally discover and read the book.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1111 on: August 14, 2017, 11:34:55 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Also, did anyone catch Gilly reading to Sam the account of the septon annulling a marriage of a Rhaegar in Dorne? I can't believe he didn't perk up to that. Dany's older brother's marriage to Ellia Martel was ANNULLED. Do you know what this means? Jon Snow is NOT a ****. Rhaegar married Lyanna Stark...
It also means he officially became the rightful heir to the Iron Throne yesterday as the only surviving natural-born child of the crown prince. Heh.

Yes exactly. His birth order would come first, which means Dany is technically rebelling against him by proclaiming herself queen lol.

I sure hope Sam took those records with him. I was clapping and shouting by myself when they revealed it.

Jon is the true king. The problem now is, the Northeners. How would take take this news if they found out? I think Littlefinger knows already...

Yeah, I think the show intimated that when he was talking to Sansa in the crypts below Winterfell last season. There have been several other instances where he kind of hinted that he knew about the real story behind Jon's birth, too.

Also, what's the deal with the dagger? It obviously has some role to play, but I've yet to figure that one out. I'm guessing it gets used to kill and frame someone, similar to its role in the first season.

« Reply #1112 on: August 14, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Wasn't Jon Ned's kid.  Or was that just the story Ned told to uphold his sister's good name? Is Brandon the only one who knows that?  KInd of hazy on this part.

I've read too many fan theories at this point, so disclaimer that I might be adding things that didn't happen in the show. But we do know that Jon is said to be Ned's **** that he brought home after Robert's Rebellion. Ned tell's Jon he will tell him about his mother next time they meet, but get's his head lopped off. Rhaegar Targaryen "kidnapped" Lyanna Stark which is what started Robert's Rebellion. You see young Ned go to get her back at the Tower of Joy in Bran's vision. You see Lyanna die in a bed and make Ned promise to protect her son (I think she says "Jon" specifically?) Now we are being told Rhaegar had his marriage annulled, which could mean Jon isn't just a **** Targaryen, he's actually the legitimate one, and in line to get the throne BEFORE Dany would. Did I miss anything in the show?
Nope, this sounds about right. Not sure you can make the name being whispered in the Tower scene, though...

For clarification, Rhaegar had is marriage annulled to his wife, Ellia Martel (who is Obeyn's sister, the one the Mountain raped and murdered) so that he could marry (and we are assuming at this point) Lyanna Stark. And Gilly says it was annulled in Dorne, where the Tower of Joy is located. Also where Ellia Martel is from, not sure if that matters.

« Reply #1113 on: August 14, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Wasn't Jon Ned's kid.  Or was that just the story Ned told to uphold his sister's good name? Is Brandon the only one who knows that?  KInd of hazy on this part.
Jon is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.  They showed his birth in a flashback last season at the Tower of Joy.  Ned and Howland Reed (Meera's father) went to rescue the presumed to have been kidnapped Lyanna from Rhaegar, only to arrive as Lyanna was giving birth to Jon (it was that kidnapping that actually started Robert's Rebellion).  Lyanna died in child birth and as she was dying whispered something to Ned, which most presume was her request to protect Jon.  Ned swore Howland to secrecy and took Jon home as his Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again..  Thus, protecting him from Robert Baretheon who made it his mission to kill all Targaryens.  Robert's mission to kill the Targaryen heirs has been on the show a lot.  From the assassins sent to kill Dany and her brother early on to Oberyn Martell agreeing to fight the Mountain to gain the truth of what happened to his sister Elia (who was the wife of Rhaegar before the annulment) and Elia's children with Rhaegar.

You also saw something similar with Cersei going around and killing all of Robert's Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s, with Gendry presumably being the only one that got away.  In a harsh world such as Westeros, in order to truly establish yourself as ruler, you need to eliminate all those that could possibly challenge you with a birthright. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1114 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Also, what's the deal with the dagger? It obviously has some role to play, but I've yet to figure that one out. I'm guessing it gets used to kill and frame someone, similar to its role in the first season.
Either it was used as an incidental prop to develop Littlefinger this season, or it's going to come handy if Arya needs to kill any White Walkers. It's kid of hard to tell. This show has a way of leaving a lot of things for dead for no particular rhyme or reason.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1115 on: August 14, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Jon is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.  They showed his birth in a flashback last season at the Tower of Joy.  Ned and Howland Reed (Meera's father) went to rescue the presumed to have been kidnapped Lyanna from Rhaegar, only to arrive as Lyanna was giving birth to Jon (it was that kidnapping that actually started Robert's Rebellion).  Lyanna died in child birth and as she was dying whispered something to Ned, which most presume was her request to protect Jon.  Ned swore Howland to secrecy and took Jon home as his ****.  Thus, protecting him from Robert Baretheon who made it his mission to kill all Targaryens.  Robert's mission to kill the Targaryen heirs has been on the show a lot.  From the assassins sent to kill Dany and her brother early on to Oberyn Martell agreeing to fight the Mountain to gain the truth of what happened to his sister Elia (who was the wife of Rhaegar before the annulment) and Elia's children with Rhaegar.

You also saw something similar with Cersei going around and killing all of Robert's ****s, with Gendry presumably being the only one that got away.  In a harsh world such as Westeros, in order to truly establish yourself as ruler, you need to eliminate all those that could possibly challenge you with a birthright.
Cersei didn't order Robert's Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s to be killed.  Joffrey did. 

Gendry may have been the only one to get away in KIng's landing but Robert would have had plenty of Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s across the seven kingdoms.   

« Reply #1116 on: August 14, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So there's Jon, Jorah, Hound, Berric, Thoros, Gendry and Tormund going beyond the wall.

This has to be the Golden State Warriors of this world when it comes to fighting, right? Or are we missing someone?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1117 on: August 14, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Latest episode (S7, E5) spoilers below;

So the "teleport"/"fast travel" method was in full display tonight, eh? We had Jaime and Bronn travel from Highgarden to King's Landing, Davos and Tyrion travel from Dragonstone to King's Landing AND back, and Jon's group travel from Dragonstone to the Wall all at different times in the episode. I don't really mind it, but after not employing this method of travel during the first six seasons, it's strange to do it now. That's the price to pay for shortened seasons, I guess.

I also don't quite get this quest to capture a wight. I can't see any way of it working, and it doesn't even seem like a feasible option that they would consider. It also has a Cersei trap written all over it. I don't really like criticizing show's that I'm this into, but to me this part of the plot seems like poor writing that I'm not really buying into.

Granted, I'm loving the dynamic of this group: Jon, Tormund, Jorah, Davos, Clegane, Gendry, Dondarion, and Thoros of Myr? That will be entertaining north of the Wall!
If they were a bit more ruthless, there'd be no reason to go north of the wall.  Could have just killed someone (e.g. the Hound) at Eas****ch, chained the body in the back of a wagon, wait for it to turn and then take it south. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:32:38 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #1118 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So there's Jon, Jorah, Hound, Berric, Thoros, Gendry and Tormund going beyond the wall.

This has to be the Golden State Warriors of this world when it comes to fighting, right? Or are we missing someone?
Well, they're missing Euron, Bron, Jaime Lannister and Brienne. But yeah, more or less.

Speaking of the Wall and wights, I'm unsure why anyone thinks Cersei needs proof that wights exist. She has on in her own Kingsguard.

« Reply #1119 on: August 14, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If they were a bit more ruthless, there'd be no reason to go north of the wall.  Could have just killed someone (e.g. the Hound) at Eas****ch, chained the body in the back of a wagon, wait for it to turn and then take it south.
Except folks don't just turn north of the wall, you need a White Walker to raise them. I don't think your plan will work very well.

« Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Jon is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.  They showed his birth in a flashback last season at the Tower of Joy.  Ned and Howland Reed (Meera's father) went to rescue the presumed to have been kidnapped Lyanna from Rhaegar, only to arrive as Lyanna was giving birth to Jon (it was that kidnapping that actually started Robert's Rebellion).  Lyanna died in child birth and as she was dying whispered something to Ned, which most presume was her request to protect Jon.  Ned swore Howland to secrecy and took Jon home as his ****.  Thus, protecting him from Robert Baretheon who made it his mission to kill all Targaryens.  Robert's mission to kill the Targaryen heirs has been on the show a lot.  From the assassins sent to kill Dany and her brother early on to Oberyn Martell agreeing to fight the Mountain to gain the truth of what happened to his sister Elia (who was the wife of Rhaegar before the annulment) and Elia's children with Rhaegar.

You also saw something similar with Cersei going around and killing all of Robert's ****s, with Gendry presumably being the only one that got away.  In a harsh world such as Westeros, in order to truly establish yourself as ruler, you need to eliminate all those that could possibly challenge you with a birthright.
Cersei didn't order Robert's ****s to be killed.  Joffrey did. 

Gendry may have been the only one to get away in KIng's landing but Robert would have had plenty of ****s across the seven kingdoms.
In the books Cersei gave the order.  I think they might have changed it for the show, but that change makes no sense as Joffrey didn't know he was not Robert's son and thus would have had no reason to kill what he believed to be his **** brothers.  Cersei on the other hand, knew Joffrey was not Robert's son and thus had everyone reason to eliminate Robert's actual children.

According to the prophecy Robert had 16 children.  I believe Cersei accounted for all of them except Gendry (though I don't recall if she thought he was accounted for or just hoped he was dead and would never show up).

« Reply #1121 on: August 14, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Well, they're missing Euron, Bron, Jaime Lannister and Brienne. But yeah, more or less.

Speaking of the Wall and wights, I'm unsure why anyone thinks Cersei needs proof that wights exist. She has on in her own Kingsguard.

I don't think the people of King's Landing would be comfortable knowing that they have a zombie Kingsguard.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1122 on: August 14, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think the people of King's Landing would be comfortable knowing that they have a zombie Kingsguard.
First, the Mountain didn't actually die or at least there has been no evidence he did.  Second, there is a very big difference between someone like the Mountain, Jon, and Berric and the army of the dead. 

« Reply #1123 on: August 14, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

First, the Mountain didn't actually die or at least there has been no evidence he did.  Second, there is a very big difference between someone like the Mountain, Jon, and Berric and the army of the dead.
We don't actually know whether he died or not. I'd say he did die before Qyburn raised him. And whether or not the good people of King's Landing are comfortable with that, I think Cersei should be aware that bringing people from the dead is not necessarily an outlandish idea.

« Reply #1124 on: August 14, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

We don't actually know whether he died or not. I'd say he did die before Qyburn raised him. And whether or not the good people of King's Landing are comfortable with that, I think Cersei should be aware that bringing people from the dead is not necessarily an outlandish idea.
He could have died, but there is a lot of evidence of him screaming in pain and nothing that shows or says he actually died (in the books or show).  If he didn't actually die though, then Cersei and no one else would have any reason to believe you could come back from the dead (I mean look at Dany's reaction and questioning of Jon).