Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413246 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1080 on: August 07, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Loved the episode, and had 2 favorite scenes:

1)  The Arya & Brienne fight.  I rewatched that fight 6 or 7 times, and think I noticed something interesting.  After Brienne kicks Arya to the ground (which is a relative shock to the viewer), her face appears concerned, which one might think she's concerned that she took things too far and hurt Arya.  But if you rewind the fight, the move or two before that kick was Arya mock slashing Brienne's right leg.  Had it been a real fight, that slash would have prevented Brienne from kicking Arya, and I think Brienne realized that she was technically check-mated even if she did the kick.  Overall I just loved the whole fight sequence and Brienne's loving interest turned competitive, and then ultimately concerned.

I can't make of what Sansa's reaction here after she saw the whole fight. Can't tell if she's mesmerized, confused or worried.

Petyr Baelish certainly is worried though, I can tell you that.

And Pod looking at Arya like that, can't tell if being in love or just him going "that I want to learn".

What a great scene.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1081 on: August 07, 2017, 08:10:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
2)  There's a brief scene where the Dothraki jump on top of their horses to fire arrows at the shielded line of men.  This scene brought to life a moment that never (but almost) actually happened in real human history.  It was theorized that the Mongol empire could have potentially conquered Europe, and there's been a lot of intrigue around how European armor and tactics would have held up against mounted cavalry, with most historians thinking the Mongols would win.  The GoT clash reminded me so much of this, although the Dothraki did things a bit different (real Mongols typically stood up on their rotating stirrups, and instead of hitting the line of foot soldiers would continually swoop in & out while accurately firing off their armor piercing arrows).

It's more internal show logic but I wish they'd've called back to Season 1 when Jorah told that bloodrider guy exactly why his fighting style would fail against an armored knight (the curved blades would get hung up on the armor) and then exactly that happened when they fought later. Would've liked to see the Dothraki adjusting their tactics or losing most ground one-on-one fights due to it.

« Reply #1082 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:56 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
2)  There's a brief scene where the Dothraki jump on top of their horses to fire arrows at the shielded line of men.  This scene brought to life a moment that never (but almost) actually happened in real human history.  It was theorized that the Mongol empire could have potentially conquered Europe, and there's been a lot of intrigue around how European armor and tactics would have held up against mounted cavalry, with most historians thinking the Mongols would win.  The GoT clash reminded me so much of this, although the Dothraki did things a bit different (real Mongols typically stood up on their rotating stirrups, and instead of hitting the line of foot soldiers would continually swoop in & out while accurately firing off their armor piercing arrows).

It's more internal show logic but I wish they'd've called back to Season 1 when Jorah told that bloodrider guy exactly why his fighting style would fail against an armored knight (the curved blades would get hung up on the armor) and then exactly that happened when they fought later. Would've liked to see the Dothraki adjusting their tactics or losing most ground one-on-one fights due to it.
They weren't fighting armored knights.  They were fighting foot soldiers.  Once their formations were broken, the Dothraki would wipe them out in one-on-one fighting. 

« Reply #1083 on: August 13, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Latest episode (S7, E5) spoilers below;

So the "teleport"/"fast travel" method was in full display tonight, eh? We had Jaime and Bronn travel from Highgarden to King's Landing, Davos and Tyrion travel from Dragonstone to King's Landing AND back, and Jon's group travel from Dragonstone to the Wall all at different times in the episode. I don't really mind it, but after not employing this method of travel during the first six seasons, it's strange to do it now. That's the price to pay for shortened seasons, I guess.

I also don't quite get this quest to capture a wight. I can't see any way of it working, and it doesn't even seem like a feasible option that they would consider. It also has a Cersei trap written all over it. I don't really like criticizing show's that I'm this into, but to me this part of the plot seems like poor writing that I'm not really buying into.

Granted, I'm loving the dynamic of this group: Jon, Tormund, Jorah, Davos, Clegane, Gendry, Dondarion, and Thoros of Myr? That will be entertaining north of the Wall!

« Reply #1084 on: August 13, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

So the "teleport"/"fast travel" method was in full display tonight, eh? We had Jaime and Bronn travel from Highgarden to King's Landing, Davos and Tyrion travel from Dragonstone to King's Landing AND back, and Jon's group travel from Dragonstone to the Wall all at different times in the episode. I don't really mind it, but after not employing this method of travel during the first six seasons, it's strange to do it now. That's the price to pay for shortened seasons, I guess.

I also don't quite get this quest to capture a wight. I can't see any way of it working, and it doesn't even seem like a feasible option that they would consider. It also has a Cersei trap written all over it. I don't really like criticizing show's that I'm this into, but to me this part of the plot seems like poor writing that I'm not really buying into.

Granted, I'm loving the dynamic of this group: Jon, Tormund, Jorah, Davos, Clegane, Gendry, Dondarion, and Thoros of Myr? That will be entertaining north of the Wall!
I don't mind the teleporting but can we change people's out fits or hair styles to show time passed.

Spoiler

And no longer a bas... is official in show (to the viewers at least). That is kind of a big deal.

Can hardly wait for some more action. Have to admit the previous episode made me think, if the scorpions can ground a dragon then dragons are toast if the wight giants can still use their bows.

« Reply #1085 on: August 13, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I don't mind the teleporting but can we change people's out fits or hair styles to show time passed.

Spoiler

And no longer a bas... is official in show (to the viewers at least). That is kind of a big deal.

Can hardly wait for some more action. Have to admit the previous episode made me think, if the scorpions can ground a dragon then dragons are toast if the wight giants can still use their bows.

That's funny, I was just reading a theory suggesting that, and in one of the first episodes it actyallly showed one of the giant wights holding a bow. Have to think that's more than a coinicidence, but it would also require Daenerys making a trip to the wall in the next two episodes.

And then the Night King could resurrect it and use it to melt the wall. HBO actually put out a promotional poster months before this season that had the Night King riding a dragon sitting atop the Wall. It'd be strange of them to actually foreshadow things that much, but there's certainly a possibility that's how the Army of the Dead gets past the Wall.

EDIT: Here's the poster. Supposedly it's Viserion, too, though that'd require other dragon riders to be identified, as well. Seems like too much to accomplish in the final two episodes.

« Reply #1086 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

They don't show the travel and just advance things because there is no reason to show nothing happening elsewhere.  Things also don't necessarily all happen at the same time even if they show them on the show at the same time, but they did definitely stretch it in the last episode.

No one in the south believes the army of the dead is real.  The only way to convince them is to show them.  The plan has holes, but they need the south to believe.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1087 on: August 14, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Spoiler

That's funny, I was just reading a theory suggesting that, and in one of the first episodes it actyallly showed one of the giant wights holding a bow. Have to think that's more than a coinicidence, but it would also require Daenerys making a trip to the wall in the next two episodes.

And then the Night King could resurrect it and use it to melt the wall. HBO actually put out a promotional poster months before this season that had the Night King riding a dragon sitting atop the Wall. It'd be strange of them to actually foreshadow things that much, but there's certainly a possibility that's how the Army of the Dead gets past the Wall.

EDIT: Here's the poster. Supposedly it's Viserion, too, though that'd require other dragon riders to be identified, as well. Seems like too much to accomplish in the final two episodes.

This is a fan made poster, not official from HBO at all... You seem like you might be pushing a Reddit agenda though lol.  :P

Also to all the travel purists, there is days, weeks, if not months passing between shots. This isn't all happening at the same time. Like Moranis said, why show us Jon hurling his brains out while he sails from Eas****ch to Dragonstone? It's like how they didn't show Bran training to be the TER, show runners said it would be boring to watch.

« Reply #1088 on: August 14, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
anyone know what that paper Arya found said and what the original likely said (since it is doubtful Littlefinger put the real one there since he knew he was being watched).  I was thinking it might be an account of Jon's birth. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1089 on: August 14, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
anyone know what that paper Arya found said and what the original likely said (since it is doubtful Littlefinger put the real one there since he knew he was being watched).  I was thinking it might be an account of Jon's birth.

The show runners said he was trying to turn the sisters against each other because if they bond it leaves him on the outside looking in. I'm assuming it was something to do with Sansa taking the North from Jon, considering they argued about that earlier in the episode.

« Reply #1090 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The show runners said he was trying to turn the sisters against each other because if they bond it leaves him on the outside looking in. I'm assuming it was something to do with Sansa taking the North from Jon, considering they argued about that earlier in the episode.
It's Sansa's letter to Robb from S1 that she wrote under Cersei's dictation. More here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-5-sansa-arya-littlefinger-letter-explained-a7891656.html
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1091 on: August 14, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
Also, did anyone catch Gilly reading to Sam the account of the septon annulling a marriage of a Rhaegar in Dorne? I can't believe he didn't perk up to that. Dany's older brother's marriage to Ellia Martel was ANNULLED. Do you know what this means? Jon Snow is NOT a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. Rhaegar married Lyanna Stark...

« Reply #1092 on: August 14, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It's the note she was forced to write, in I think the first or second season, proclaiming Joffrey to be the true king.

Edit: Here you go. So it was indeed during Season 1 and prior to Ned's death.

Back in Season 1, after Robert Baratheon died and Sansa’s father Ned was charged with treason, Cersei threatened Sansa into writing a letter back home to her mother Catelyn and brother Robb, to convince them to support Joffrey:

The note-
Robb, I write to you with a heavy heart. Our good king Robert is dead, killed from wounds he took in a boar hunt. Father has been charged with treason. He conspired with Robert’s brothers against my beloved Joffrey and tried to steal his throne. The Lannisters are treating me very well and provide me with every comfort. I beg you: come to King’s Landing, swear fealty to King Joffrey and prevent any strife between the great houses of Lannister and Stark.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:06:08 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #1093 on: August 14, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This season feels rushed. It seems like the show runners are just sprinting towards the end without making sure all the steps getting there made sense. When they were adapting the book it was clear how George RR Martin considered every detail when planning things out. D&D (the showrunners) don't seem as concerned with things making logical sense and more concerned with just finishing the show out so they can move onto something else.

I understand all the teleporting in order to move the show along and not have to show a bunch of traveling, but there are other things that I find annoying.

Jamie and Bron, coming out of the water so far away from the battle that you can't even see the field is ridiculous. I feel like someone would have made sure the leader of the opposing army was actually dead, especially after he made an attempt on the queen's life. One scene showing something else happening that distracted attention away from Jamie after he landed in the water would have cleared this confusion up, but without a scene like that the ending of episode 4 and the begining of episode 5 don't make a ton of sense.

Also, it would have been cool if they made it clear Jon had some type of plan other than, we are going to attack the Night King's army with 8 guys. Even if Jon had said I'm going to kill the Night's king even if it kill's me. The way it came out made me think that Jon's plan was to kill hundred of thousands of the dead with 8 guys (which is stupid imo)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #1094 on: August 14, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Also, did anyone catch Gilly reading to Sam the account of the septon annulling a marriage of a Rhaegar in Dorne? I can't believe he didn't perk up to that. Dany's older brother's marriage to Ellia Martel was ANNULLED. Do you know what this means? Jon Snow is NOT a ****. Rhaegar married Lyanna Stark...
That Samwell heard this and didn't want to know more about it was sooo annoying.

Although, I am happy that he is leaving, because it paves the way for him to become the lord of house Tarly.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19