Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413229 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1065 on: August 07, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Enjoyed the episode but it was a bit cheesy how Bronn and Jaime both should've been toasted but got out of the way at the last instant. The continuing use of fast travel is a nice nod to RPGs, though.  And I liked how getting tackled about 3 feet laterally got Jaime from water shallow enough a horse can gallop through to like a hundred foot drop.
In a river, no less...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1066 on: August 07, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Enjoyed the episode but it was a bit cheesy how Bronn and Jaime both should've been toasted but got out of the way at the last instant. The continuing use of fast travel is a nice nod to RPGs, though.  And I liked how getting tackled about 3 feet laterally got Jaime from water shallow enough a horse can gallop through to like a hundred foot drop.
In a river, no less...
In a leaked version of the script, he was supposed to be tackled off of a bridge
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1067 on: August 07, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What do you guys make of Littlefinger looking at that Arya - Brienne sparring? Seems like he's going "oh, shoot, we have an assassin in the house..."

Maybe she should spend more time teaching the dragons to fly in formation, or to respond to other riders. ;)

I expect we'll see all three dragons attacking soon enough.
I expect we'll see more dragonriders soon enough ;)

Jon and Tyrion right? Please tell me it's Jon and Tyrion.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1068 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
What do you guys make of Littlefinger looking at that Arya - Brienne sparring? Seems like he's going "oh, shoot, we have an assassin in the house..."

Maybe she should spend more time teaching the dragons to fly in formation, or to respond to other riders. ;)

Jon seems pretty obvious and Tyrion is definitely a popular fan theory, though I wouldn't be so sure it is him.  Certainly could be, but that is almost too obvious for Martin to do (and while the books aren't out, they won't have any really major departures from Martin's intent I don't think).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1069 on: August 07, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Littlefinger's been trying to drive a wedge between Sansa and Jon since he got back into the picture at the Battle of the ****s. Between that and giving Bran the dagger he's definitely working a new angle now that two more Starks have returned, but it's not quite clear what it is yet. Bran giving him the "I see you" by quoting his Season 1 speech was the most enjoyable thing he's done in years, though.

Just learned from reading a bit that those Lannister soldiers on fire were not CGI'ed - the show set a record for most stuntmen set on fire in a single sequence - reportedly 73  :o

« Reply #1070 on: August 07, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Jon seems pretty obvious and Tyrion is definitely a popular fan theory, though I wouldn't be so sure it is him.  Certainly could be, but that is almost too obvious for Martin to do (and while the books aren't out, they won't have any really major departures from Martin's intent I don't think).
The problem is that we barely have any other protagonists whose lineage is unaccounted for, and the rider has to be a Targaryen, no? Although, arguably, Tyrion's lineage is also accounted for, so...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:13:46 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1071 on: August 07, 2017, 12:10:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The problem is that we barely have any other protagonists whose lineage is unaccounted for, and the rider has to be a Targaryen, no?
Tyrion's isn't really unaccounted for though.  Could it not be Jamie?  That seems much more like a book move.  It could also be Bran, who "rides" by merely warging into the dragon.  That also sounds more like a Martin move.  It may very well be Tyrion, but I don't think it is a given at all. 

« Reply #1072 on: August 07, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Tyrion's isn't really unaccounted for though.  Could it not be Jamie?  That seems much more like a book move.  It could also be Bran, who "rides" by merely warging into the dragon.  That also sounds more like a Martin move.  It may very well be Tyrion, but I don't think it is a given at all.
My bet goes for Gendry, who is bound to finally reemerge from his rowboat this season. He has some Targaryen ancestry through Robert Baratheon.

« Reply #1073 on: August 07, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
My bet goes for Gendry, who is bound to finally reemerge from his rowboat this season. He has some Targaryen ancestry through Robert Baratheon.
Unlikely, though he might end up in Storm's End as the "rightful" ruler of it.  Also wouldn't even be surprised if he ended up married to Arya.

« Reply #1074 on: August 07, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Littlefinger's been trying to drive a wedge between Sansa and Jon since he got back into the picture at the Battle of the ****s. Between that and giving Bran the dagger he's definitely working a new angle now that two more Starks have returned, but it's not quite clear what it is yet. Bran giving him the "I see you" by quoting his Season 1 speech was the most enjoyable thing he's done in years, though.

Just learned from reading a bit that those Lannister soldiers on fire were not CGI'ed - the show set a record for most stuntmen set on fire in a single sequence - reportedly 73  :o

TP for the cool info.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what Littlefinger does/thinks about Arya.  Is there a way to recognize her fighting as a particular style (i.e. assassin).  If so, he probably has figured out she was responsible for the Fray murders.

« Reply #1075 on: August 07, 2017, 01:13:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

TP for the cool info.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what Littlefinger does/thinks about Arya.  Is there a way to recognize her fighting as a particular style (i.e. assassin).  If so, he probably has figured out she was responsible for the Fray murders.
Bran knows that anyway (of course he knows everything).  Arya's uncle (Edmure Tully) may know that as well, since he was being held by the Freys or Lannisters and is married to a Frey and Arya did let some people live. 

« Reply #1076 on: August 07, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
My Thoughts:

1. That battle was AWESOME! Honestly might have made it the best episode of the season easily, and probably ONE OF the best episodes in the entire show. I'll admit, when Bronn said, "wait", and they were trying to listen at something, I figured it was just the dragon, but then the entire army came in with their battle cry and that was amazing (loved their 'rally cry' charging in LOL - the screaming). The looks on all their faces when the dragon came into view as the army charged in was PRICELESS  :laugh:

2. Littlefinger is about to get played. Going to outsmart HIMSELF soon. Bran has him FIGURED OUT, and he doesn't know that Arya is "No One". Also, when Bran responded to him saying, "Chaos is a ladder" (something Littlefinger said way back in Season 3), Littlefinger's face was also PRICELESS. :laugh: (For the first time he looked surprised but also in a sense... really confused)

3. I panicked at first because I usually watch GoT episodes using an ONLINE STREAM at 10:30 PM EST (after it ends on HBO). The credits showed up at 47 minutes and I was like, WHAT?? THAT'S IT??? I thought maybe the online stream wasn't complete and they were missing some pieces, but then I realized and saw online that this episode was short anyways (just 45-50 minutes). Kind of a shame but definitely action-packed.

And S/O to Mets Pitcher, Noah Syndergaard (THOR) for his cameo. Just too bad he got burned about as bad as the Mets have this entire season, and last night too.  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1077 on: August 07, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Loved the episode, and had 2 favorite scenes:

1)  The Arya & Brienne fight.  I rewatched that fight 6 or 7 times, and think I noticed something interesting.  After Brienne kicks Arya to the ground (which is a relative shock to the viewer), her face appears concerned, which one might think she's concerned that she took things too far and hurt Arya.  But if you rewind the fight, the move or two before that kick was Arya mock slashing Brienne's right leg.  Had it been a real fight, that slash would have prevented Brienne from kicking Arya, and I think Brienne realized that she was technically check-mated even if she did the kick.  Overall I just loved the whole fight sequence and Brienne's loving interest turned competitive, and then ultimately concerned.

2)  There's a brief scene where the Dothraki jump on top of their horses to fire arrows at the shielded line of men.  This scene brought to life a moment that never (but almost) actually happened in real human history.  It was theorized that the Mongol empire could have potentially conquered Europe, and there's been a lot of intrigue around how European armor and tactics would have held up against mounted cavalry, with most historians thinking the Mongols would win.  The GoT clash reminded me so much of this, although the Dothraki did things a bit different (real Mongols typically stood up on their rotating stirrups, and instead of hitting the line of foot soldiers would continually swoop in & out while accurately firing off their armor piercing arrows).

« Reply #1078 on: August 07, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
When they showed Caitelyn getting killed in the "previously on GOT" intro, I thought I was finally going to get my wish and have them touch on her storyline again as part of that underground movement (they haven't glimpsed in on them at all really accept to show that the Hound wound up with them).
Yup

« Reply #1079 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Had it been a real fight.

The big sword would have broken the little sword and Arya would be minus a head.