Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 412092 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #975 on: June 27, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There are things before S6 where the timing is off as well, though there weren't as many storylines so it may be a bit more compounded here.  And basically anything that happens across the sea has no timing connection to anything that happens in Westeros.  So Arya's entire story line and even Dany really has no relation to the events in Westeros (other than when Westerosi show up across the sea).
Even ignoring overseas, there are enough warps that made no sense. For example, Littlefinger's weird now I'm here - now I'm not appearances. How did the Freys not know that the Knights of the Vale were riding north? It's just all kind of odd.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #976 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In "After the Thrones" they brought up the small possibility that Jon is actually the son of the Mad King... he could have had his way with Lyanna at some point.  Maybe that is what lead to Rheagar "abducting"/"taking her away" from King's Landing.  More likely he's the son of Rheagar, though... they were prob in love and ran away together.

A good question to ask though... was Jon legitimized before birth?  Maybe Rheagar and Lyanna were wed?  It probably doesn't matter, though given that people are already calling Jon a King.

Will Dany eventually get with her nephew/half-brother?

« Reply #977 on: June 27, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
There are things before S6 where the timing is off as well, though there weren't as many storylines so it may be a bit more compounded here.  And basically anything that happens across the sea has no timing connection to anything that happens in Westeros.  So Arya's entire story line and even Dany really has no relation to the events in Westeros (other than when Westerosi show up across the sea).
Even ignoring overseas, there are enough warps that made no sense. For example, Littlefinger's weird now I'm here - now I'm not appearances. How did the Freys not know that the Knights of the Vale were riding north? It's just all kind of odd.
The show has never gone strictly chronologically though, this isn't a new development. 

Best I can come up with the Frey's is that they are morons and were focused on Riverrun and not the King's Road (the Twins are not on the road, but you would think they would have scouted that region). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #978 on: June 28, 2016, 11:33:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
have to admit I was expecting something bigger in the season finale than what happened.  no real cliffhangers at the end, just set-up for next season's stories.

surprised slightly at Tommin's suicide as opposed to him dying in the explosion.  Still not seeing how Cerce became the next in line to the throne --> she's not a Baratheon, only by marriage.  didn't think that put her in line of succession. 

wasn't thrilled with the way Varis and Arya miraculously traveled great distances so quickly.  should have built more time passage into the storyline to explain how Arya wormed her way into Frey's company and Varis able to get back from Dorne in time to be sailing with Daenarys. 

can't wait until next year. 

« Reply #979 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
In "After the Thrones" they brought up the small possibility that Jon is actually the son of the Mad King... he could have had his way with Lyanna at some point.  Maybe that is what lead to Rheagar "abducting"/"taking her away" from King's Landing.  More likely he's the son of Rheagar, though... they were prob in love and ran away together.

A good question to ask though... was Jon legitimized before birth?  Maybe Rheagar and Lyanna were wed?  It probably doesn't matter, though given that people are already calling Jon a King.

If he was Mad King's Son that would weaken his claim. In Westros the line of succession follows the first son. So in Jon's case if Prince Rhaegar took a second wife and had a son and only that male surives from him that child would be first in line before Dany. Also since Jon is a pure Nobel that would cancel the not wed parents knock based on Roberts son Edric Storm in book. Renly and Stannis both mention Edric as a threat and hostage against the other. It's believed that if a male noble blooded from the 1st born son seeks succession it is valid if the first son has no other children and 1st son's siblings have no children. This is so the royal blood line continues. So Jon will have a strong claim against Dany.

« Reply #980 on: June 28, 2016, 12:30:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Claims don't matter all that much anymore, not really the last episode made that pretty clear. Power is what matters.

Not that Bran's vision will be credible to the larger Targ loyalists anyways.

« Reply #981 on: June 28, 2016, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
surprised slightly at Tommin's suicide as opposed to him dying in the explosion.  Still not seeing how Cerce became the next in line to the throne --> she's not a Baratheon, only by marriage.  didn't think that put her in line of succession. 
It doesn't, but the rules don't matter now power does.

She just blew up the royal court, queen, the high sparrow, most of the faith militant, and the king is dead. She controls the city watch, the Lanister army, and what's left of the court from the Red Keep. So she's crowned herself queen, who in King's Landing is going to stop her?

I suppose the Kingsguard could try something but she has the undead Mountain and they lack the numbers to do more. Assuming they all survived the explosion (some could have easily been around with the Queen)

« Reply #982 on: June 28, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Still not seeing how Cerce became the next in line to the throne --> she's not a Baratheon, only by marriage.  didn't think that put her in line of succession. 
There are no trueborn Baratheon's left.  Renly had no children and Stannis killed his before he died.  The only persons left that have a stronger claim to the throne than the Lannister's are Jon, Dany, and Bran (and his claim is only slightly stronger than the Lannister's and everyone thinks he is dead anyway).  The Targaryen blood line (which is how Robert took the throne) is all but eliminated except in ****s (such as Gendry - if he is even alive) and Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s don't take the throne (without force). 

Now technically since Jamie was no longer in the King's Guard, he would take the thrown before Cersei since he is the trueborn male heir (even though he is younger than Cersei), but that is a different sort of argument.

Of course none of that matters when you take the throne through force, which is exactly what Cersei did.

« Reply #983 on: June 29, 2016, 08:29:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

« Reply #984 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Still not seeing how Cerce became the next in line to the throne --> she's not a Baratheon, only by marriage.  didn't think that put her in line of succession. 
There are no trueborn Baratheon's left.  Renly had no children and Stannis killed his before he died.  The only persons left that have a stronger claim to the throne than the Lannister's are Jon, Dany, and Bran (and his claim is only slightly stronger than the Lannister's and everyone thinks he is dead anyway).  The Targaryen blood line (which is how Robert took the throne) is all but eliminated except in ****s (such as Gendry - if he is even alive) and ****s don't take the throne (without force). 

Now technically since Jamie was no longer in the King's Guard, he would take the thrown before Cersei since he is the trueborn male heir (even though he is younger than Cersei), but that is a different sort of argument.

Of course none of that matters when you take the throne through force, which is exactly what Cersei did.
and that's who I thought might be next in line -- Jaime - since he's the oldest male Lannister of Cersei's generation.  then again, it was pretty apparent that all that matters is power if you plan to take the throne.

« Reply #985 on: June 29, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Another issue with the last episode I had that I just remembered was the whole Bran Tower of Joy flashback. Honestly, there didn't seem to be any set up with that, and there was no real reason for him to have that flashback, other than curiosity. It just seems that they could've set that up a little better where it wasn't so dang obvious that they were just trying to confirm R + L = J.

« Reply #986 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Another issue with the last episode I had that I just remembered was the whole Bran Tower of Joy flashback. Honestly, there didn't seem to be any set up with that, and there was no real reason for him to have that flashback, other than curiosity. It just seems that they could've set that up a little better where it wasn't so dang obvious that they were just trying to confirm R + L = J.
I think you are right about Bran not being set up. But I think that discovery is to setup season 7. We are suppose to focus on how Bran will use that knowledge.

« Reply #987 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

If he was Mad King's Son that would weaken his claim. In Westros the line of succession follows the first son. So in Jon's case if Prince Rhaegar took a second wife and had a son and only that male surives from him that child would be first in line before Dany. Also since Jon is a pure Nobel that would cancel the not wed parents knock based on Roberts son Edric Storm in book. Renly and Stannis both mention Edric as a threat and hostage against the other. It's believed that if a male noble blooded from the 1st born son seeks succession it is valid if the first son has no other children and 1st son's siblings have no children. This is so the royal blood line continues. So Jon will have a strong claim against Dany.

Benioff and Weiss basically confirmed Rhaegar as dad on the Making of Game of Thrones blog.

Also, Dany has the much stronger claim since she has a gigantic army and dragons. That's probably going to be the support she needs. Jon is concerned with protecting the realm and will bend the knee...Sansa...maybe not so much.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #988 on: June 29, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That depends on whether Westeros has or doesn't have male-preference primogeniture tradition :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #989 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
That depends on whether Westeros has or doesn't have male-preference primogeniture tradition :P
they do