Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 414850 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #840 on: May 23, 2016, 11:02:27 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
"All-Timer" was right. That was the best GoT episode ever, imo, better than Blackwater or the Red Wedding. Heck, that might've been the best TV moment I ever had. Just thinking about it gives me the chills.

I loved the episode halfway through. I thought it was a candidate for best episode 75% in, but that ending? God almighty. So many interesting developments in the different storylines, too.

I need a cigarette...

Eh, it was definitely a top-five or top-three episode of the series, but I still think Hardhome was a better episode. The fight with the White Walkers and Army of the Dead was awesome, especially Jon killing the White Walker and the Night's King turning all of the dead into wights.

GoT had quite a few highlights during it's run so far, so it really comes down to personal preference, I think. I prefer the sadness and mind**** quality of "The Door", but Hardhome was also amazing, albeit more due to straight-forward action. Maybe it's the fact that this episode also showed Sansa finally starting to take matters into her own hands that puts it over the top for me. This finally feels like we're headed for answers, not more questions.

Book Readers, let me ask you a question:

Are you enjoying this season more than previous seasons since most of the content hasn't already been covered in the books?

I would say I enjoy it differently. I'm still worried the show will spoil the books for me, but I do think it's liberating that I don't have to constantly compare the show to the books, anymore.

I've read a review from a fellow book reader who said the main difference with season 6 is that all this time we were quiet observers, who looked with glee upon our unsuspecting friends to see how they'd react to the stuff we knew would happen, and now we're just one of them, able to experience the show like they did. I think that sums it up quite well. It's now easier to connect with the emotional side of watching GoT. We're not the fisher, anymore, just another fish in the sea.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #841 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Just watched the "Hold the Door" scene again, and I definitely didn't appreciate how well-done it was the first time around. It's just an incredibly powerful, sad scene. The look on Bran's face when he realizes what he's done was so good, too. Here it is for those who want to watch it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DoBY8M_bCg

« Reply #842 on: May 24, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
Episode was incredible.  Hodor's origin and the King's origin with Leaf was amazing (and I think it goes deeper and he is Brandon Stark, not "the Builder" but rather a subsequent one who was Lord Commander).  Sansa... very cool, although I think she is being foolish not to take the two armies and join them with Jon.  The red priestess is HUGE, and makes total sense if you read World of Ice and Fire which details the long history between the "red" and the Valyrions.

But everyone got so distracted by Hodor in that scene that nobody has mentioned that Meera KILLED A WALKER.  She used a spear just like the one Leaf threw, but Leaf's just bounced off.  Who is the only other character we have seen kill a walker like that?  Combine this with the fact that Meera's father is the same dude who saved Ned in the flashback fight earlier in the season when (I think we are all now convinced) Lyanna is giving birth in the tower.  The theory floating around now, which is given ammo after this episode is that Meera is related to Jon, and perhaps in a Lucas-esque twist, is his twin.  I know the ages don't appear to match, but remember, Jon is WAY younger than he looks.

Overall, as a book reader, to answer the previous question, I am loving the mystery that is back with this season. 

« Reply #843 on: May 24, 2016, 11:39:30 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
One thing I think that's getting overlooked is the evolution (or perhaps lack thereof) of Arya. I think the bit when she watches the reenactment of her father's death all but confirms that she will never be a faceless man and always be a Stark.

Now my question is how she gets back to Westeos. Does she hook up with Dany and Tyrion? Do Yara and Theon end up in Braavos and does she hook up with them there? Something else?

« Reply #844 on: May 24, 2016, 11:54:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Episode was incredible.  Hodor's origin and the King's origin with Leaf was amazing (and I think it goes deeper and he is Brandon Stark, not "the Builder" but rather a subsequent one who was Lord Commander).  Sansa... very cool, although I think she is being foolish not to take the two armies and join them with Jon.  The red priestess is HUGE, and makes total sense if you read World of Ice and Fire which details the long history between the "red" and the Valyrions.

But everyone got so distracted by Hodor in that scene that nobody has mentioned that Meera KILLED A WALKER.  She used a spear just like the one Leaf threw, but Leaf's just bounced off.  Who is the only other character we have seen kill a walker like that?  Combine this with the fact that Meera's father is the same dude who saved Ned in the flashback fight earlier in the season when (I think we are all now convinced) Lyanna is giving birth in the tower.  The theory floating around now, which is given ammo after this episode is that Meera is related to Jon, and perhaps in a Lucas-esque twist, is his twin.  I know the ages don't appear to match, but remember, Jon is WAY younger than he looks.

Overall, as a book reader, to answer the previous question, I am loving the mystery that is back with this season.

Eh, I could've swore it was tipped with obsidian, which seems to be the answer others are saying on the internet, too. Also, Jon only killed the white walker due to having Longclaw, which is made of Valyrian steel. Sam also killed a white walker with obsidian, so I don't see how the R + L = J + M theory would allow her to kill a white walker.

Also, that particular theory was posited as a way out if Jon wasn't revived, so it makes less sense now that he's back alive.

« Reply #845 on: May 24, 2016, 11:58:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
One thing I think that's getting overlooked is the evolution (or perhaps lack thereof) of Arya. I think the bit when she watches the reenactment of her father's death all but confirms that she will never be a faceless man and always be a Stark.

Now my question is how she gets back to Westeos. Does she hook up with Dany and Tyrion? Do Yara and Theon end up in Braavos and does she hook up with them there? Something else?

This is something I've been wondering about. I haven't read the books, but I've read a lot of secondary literature about the various religions in ASOIAF. Couldn't the Faceless Men deny contracts if they didn't feel it was a worthy cause/death? Perhaps it's due to her still being in training, but it seems like Arya has no choice in the matter and must always do as the Many-Faced God orders with the killing contracts.

I bet she does end up going back to Westeros somehow and playing a role in the upcoming war. However, when it's all said and done, I also could see her ultimately being killed by a Faceless Man on a contract, even Jaqen himself, if she bails on them.

« Reply #846 on: May 25, 2016, 12:16:10 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Well, for the moment I enjoy that Arya gets the snot kicked out of her on a regular basis while trying to become no-one , blind or not, she still gets her but whipped by the other girl brutally on a daily basis it seems.

« Reply #847 on: May 25, 2016, 12:31:20 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Something I could see happening and strictly fan-fiction. She learns to balance the two by doing a kill for them but they know its false. They will tell her about John, the war against the whitewalkers and the need for dragons They say they will release her for a life. One life that is close to her. It ends up being Syrio. Syrio is to be killed after returning to Braavos after exile for a bad crime. Syrio duels her in the dark and loses. Happily he says he was glad to meet needle (despite not seeing his attacker in the darkness he sensed it was Arya) and then follows that up with his last words Valar Moghulis. Arya not shocked replys Valar Dohaeris. Arya never returns to the house of white and black.

« Reply #848 on: May 25, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
 :laugh:

Yup

« Reply #849 on: June 06, 2016, 03:46:22 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
The Hound!

Pretty interesting episode. It seems the Hound is going to have a role to play with the Brotherhood without Banners. Will the show have Lady Stoneheart running the Brotherhood without Banners now?

It also finally looks like Sansa is going to utilize Littlefinger to her advantage. The Greyjoys attempting to team up with Daenerys is also interesting.

« Reply #850 on: June 06, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The Hound!

Will the show have Lady Stoneheart running the Brotherhood without Banners now?

I think i`ve read sometime ago (after the red wedding) quotes from Benioff and Weiss that they won`t use Lady Stoneheart.
I`d like to see them change their mind though.

« Reply #851 on: June 06, 2016, 06:03:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There was a lot of great stuff in this episode, but a couple things felt hacky. The Hound storyline really felt rushed. He's out chopping wood and bam - everyone's dead. And the Arya scene was a real head-scratcher. She would be more careful than that ... hopefully it's some kind of trickery, because on the surface it felt like weak directing.

« Reply #852 on: June 06, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
There was a lot of great stuff in this episode, but a couple things felt hacky. The Hound storyline really felt rushed. He's out chopping wood and bam - everyone's dead. And the Arya scene was a real head-scratcher. She would be more careful than that ... hopefully it's some kind of trickery, because on the surface it felt like weak directing.

I actually didn't mind the Hound's portion being moved along so quickly.  We didn't need to see him witness them being killed to understand his reaction.  If anything I think this works better... I'm just really glad to have him back as a character!

I agree about Arya.   Her whole storyline to me though has been an enormous tangent and time sink, so something interesting will have to come about from it to be worthwhile.  I'm pretty sure any of us were here then we would have laid low after getting passage on a ship.

« Reply #853 on: June 06, 2016, 07:21:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I feel this season feels rushed and the storylines have been overall weak in some areas.   It is still entertaining and a great show.   But now it seems they are trying to break the internet with some tidbit every episode, last week it was Dany's speech (it was the lowest rated episode of the season), this week it was the hound returning.

Some believe Arya and the Waif to be the same, in a nod to fight club type thing, LarBrd33.   I have never cared for Arya's storyline but I know many are fond of it.  So I am not as well versed as some in this regard.   I think she may take down the faceless men or become their leader and use it as a tool in the big game.   She definitely will use those skills she has learned but I am not sure what those are exactly in the show.  She has washed a lot of dead bodies, I suppose.  I will tell you that in real life, she would die a slow and painful death from that wound without medical treatment.

Part of me, thought that Jorah might be the guy who saves her, he is out there floating around....Perhaps the mummers.

« Reply #854 on: June 06, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
To be true to their roots Arya should bleed out and die. To many people are coming back or surviving what should have been sure death. Kind of getting to Hollywood I prefer the unpredictable.