Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 416054 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #450 on: June 02, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ok I'll admit my stupidity because I am intrigued. I've watched the whole show. How is it we think jons parents aren't edd stark and an unknown woman. I get that he seems like superman but what leads people to think he's the son of a targaryean instead? I'm not following that. Please enlighten me. ????

There have been some strong hints dropped that Rhaegar Targaryen (the Mad King's oldest son) wasn't a horrible person who kidnapped and raped Ned Stark's sister (the official story), but was a good guy who fell in love with Lyanna, and they eloped together. 

Where people connect the dots to Jon Snow mainly comes from a scene in the books - after Ned gets speared in the knee, he's hallucinating and remembering rescuing his sister at the end of the war.  She's in a tower, guarded by Kingsguard, on a "bed of blood".  She makes Ned promise her...something, which is generally inferred to mean she died during childbirth and makes Ned promise to take care of her baby and lie about where it came from (since Robert would've had any Targaryen child killed, especially one that caused the death of the woman he loved).

It's not nearly as strongly hinted on the show as people tend to claim it is - if you weren't familiar with all the book speculation it's hard, but not impossible to draw that conclusion.  But it makes a ton of sense story-wise, and fits with Ned's character - he loved his sister so much he was willing to be dishonored by "his b astard" to keep his word and protect her only child.
I've never read the books but I could have sworn there was some inference early on in the show that Jon Snow wasn't Ned's son but adopted by Ned to save face for someone close to him.  Did that happen or did I imagine the inference from somewhere?

« Reply #452 on: June 02, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ok I'll admit my stupidity because I am intrigued. I've watched the whole show. How is it we think jons parents aren't edd stark and an unknown woman. I get that he seems like superman but what leads people to think he's the son of a targaryean instead? I'm not following that. Please enlighten me. ????

There have been some strong hints dropped that Rhaegar Targaryen (the Mad King's oldest son) wasn't a horrible person who kidnapped and raped Ned Stark's sister (the official story), but was a good guy who fell in love with Lyanna, and they eloped together. 

Where people connect the dots to Jon Snow mainly comes from a scene in the books - after Ned gets speared in the knee, he's hallucinating and remembering rescuing his sister at the end of the war.  She's in a tower, guarded by Kingsguard, on a "bed of blood".  She makes Ned promise her...something, which is generally inferred to mean she died during childbirth and makes Ned promise to take care of her baby and lie about where it came from (since Robert would've had any Targaryen child killed, especially one that caused the death of the woman he loved).

It's not nearly as strongly hinted on the show as people tend to claim it is - if you weren't familiar with all the book speculation it's hard, but not impossible to draw that conclusion.  But it makes a ton of sense story-wise, and fits with Ned's character - he loved his sister so much he was willing to be dishonored by "his b astard" to keep his word and protect her only child.
I've never read the books but I could have sworn there was some inference early on in the show that Jon Snow wasn't Ned's son but adopted by Ned to save face for someone close to him.  Did that happen or did I imagine the inference from somewhere?
I don't think they ever say it, but they frequently point out that Ned was too moral to cheat on his wifey.  They also invest a lot of time this season pointing out that rhaeger was a beloved prince who gave out roses and sang sweet songs.  The official story in the world is that he raped Ned's sister lyanna, but they drop elephant sized hints that they were probably just in love with each other and once she got pregnant they put her into hiding. 

I'm not too in tune with the marriage laws in game of thrones.  Can a king/prince take multiple wives?  Could the two have been married in secrecy ?  Just curious if there's a chance that Jon isn't even a bas tard.  Not that it matters.

« Reply #453 on: June 02, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/06/01/i-want-300-pound-pitcher-ben-ancheff-on-red-sox/
Click for a picture of Samwell Tarley in a baseball uniform :P

On a similar note, I noticed this during the playoffs and thought it was funny, so here ya go:

+

=

« Reply #454 on: June 02, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

I don't think they ever say it, but they frequently point out that Ned was too moral to cheat on his wifey.  They also invest a lot of time this season pointing out that rhaeger was a beloved prince who gave out roses and sang sweet songs.  The official story in the world is that he raped Ned's sister lyanna, but they drop elephant sized hints that they were probably just in love with each other and once she got pregnant they put her into hiding. 

I'm not too in tune with the marriage laws in game of thrones.  Can a king/prince take multiple wives?  Could the two have been married in secrecy ?  Just curious if there's a chance that Jon isn't even a bas tard.  Not that it matters.
There are other hints as well.  Like Arya resembles her aunt a great deal and Jon and Arya look alike.  Now granted that could just be because they have the same father, or if you are inclined to believe the Rhaegar/Lyanna story it fits in with that i.e. Arya looks like her Aunt and Jon looks like his mom. 

I think where most of the speculation lies is that there are 3 dragons and 3 heads of the dragons in the mythology (and Dany had a vision of the 3 dragon heads).  Most presume Dany is one head, Jon is one head, and the most common belief for 3rd head is Tyrion (though that is pure speculation any may be more hope since he is one of the best characters and people root for him), others believe the 3rd head is Aegon, Rhaegar's oldest son who may not have been killed as expected (which on a sad note makes the death of Oberyn that much sadder).  Jon as a Targaryen would likely be worthy to touch the dragons and if he has the warg part of the Stark line would be able to control it a lot better than most.  Thus, makes perfect sense as one of the 3 heads if he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

In the books a lot more happens and there are a lot more characters at play, for example we see someone touch the dragons and catch on fire (only the worthy can touch them), there is a horn that supposedly controls the dragons, etc.  Hopefully some of this comes out in the show even if the same characters aren't in play.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:23:12 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #455 on: June 02, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
They definitely took some shortcuts from the book with Tyrion's journey to Daenarys.  I was really looking forward to him being a clown.   

Really?  I thought that (and the prolonged Tyrion downward spiral in general) was one of the more grating parts of the book - very glad to see it cut out.

The challenge the showrunners have faced is salvaging a heroic journey from the quagmire Martin was plunging his few remaining heroes (Dany, Snow, Tyrion)  deeper and deeper into in the 5th book.  That meant cutting short Tyrion's wallowing with the pigs, and fast-forwarding the glacial pace of the White Walkers to spice up the Jon Snow storyline that had gotten lost in the Wildlings. 

There's not much they can do about the diaspora of the subplots though.  Even with the Ironborn, Maester Sam, Recruiter Davos and Dornish Dany-quest plots entirely cut out, there are still way too many threads to weave together.  Bran and co. are still out there, doing something important we just can't remember what, Brienne of Tarth is still waiting to be of service, Littlefinger is out conspiring somewhere, Arya is wasting enormous amounts of precious story time learning to be a petty assassin in a backwater port, Cersei and Margaery are getting inexplicably pwned by 99 percenters, bad Maester is building a zombie Mountain, Jaime's lost in Dorn, Stannis is freezing his butt off somewhere in the north, Ramsey's doing his Frank Miller bad guy routine on Sansa & Theon, and Dany's dragons are either chilling in the basement or flying unchecked across the countryside. And I'm sure I left some people out. That's just way too much to work with. 

It's a shame Martin didn't have a better editor - such fantastic ideas, such a rich world, but not enough discipline to turn down the rabbit trails and keep his eye on the prize.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #456 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/06/01/i-want-300-pound-pitcher-ben-ancheff-on-red-sox/

On a similar note, I noticed this during the playoffs and thought it was funny, so here ya go:

+

=

hysterical -- TP

« Reply #457 on: June 02, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
thx to all above. cool insights :)

« Reply #458 on: June 02, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279

+

=

Have another TP for this genius.

« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/31/game-thrones-lady-stoneheart

5 characters Martin wishes were in the show.

Strong Belwas
Jeyne Poole
Willas Tyrell
Garlan Tyrell
Lady Stoneheart

I also find his take on the lord of the rings fascinating.

« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/31/game-thrones-lady-stoneheart

5 characters Martin wishes were in the show.

Strong Belwas
Jeyne Poole
Willas Tyrell
Garlan Tyrell
Lady Stoneheart

5 Martin Characters I wish were still in the show:

Ned Stark
Robb Stark
Robb's wife
Robert's Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. with the helmet
The Hound

5 Martin Characters I wish weren't still in the show:

Ramsey Bolton
Reek
Daario Naharis
Brienne of Tarth
Arya Stark
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2015, 10:13:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I knew Drogon was going to make an appearance, but man that was a pretty sweet scene with a ton of dragon action.

And I still can't believe Stannis killed his daughter.  I mean I can believe it because he is a religious fanatic, but still shocking stuff.

« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  I was a boy of ten when I first read Lord of Rings and I too, was shocked when Gandalf died.   It crushed me, years later, I was floored when Ned Stark died.  I never the made the connection until that post, thanks.

« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2015, 11:44:40 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

+

=

TP good sir, TP.

« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2015, 12:31:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Tonight was the first time I thought the show did a scene better than the book. The fighting pit scene was a lot better on the show.

I hope the season finale doesn't give away too much of what is happening in the next book.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19