Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 415279 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #405 on: May 18, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Just finished watching the episode. I'm pretty sure I've never hated a character more than Cersei, and the closest ones have been Joffrey, or Andrea and the Governor off of TWD.

I kind of like Cersei more and more.  She was losing power and then fought back like a cornered animal.  It's a stupid plan and I don't think the Faith Militant are going to stay loyal to her for long, but I respect her moxie.  If anything, that lil' king needs to step up. 

« Reply #406 on: May 18, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think that fight back will come soon, and Theon will help her.   I was hoping he would re-emerge and slit Ramsey's throat last night.   I think Pod and Briene will also factor into her escape.

They have not really developed Sansa's skillset to be anything more than a pawn in the game of thrones to be married off.   Arya will be an assassin, Jon a ranger, what skills does Sansa have?

« Reply #407 on: May 18, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think that fight back will come soon, and Theon will help her.   I was hoping he would re-emerge and slit Ramsey's throat last night.   I think Pod and Briene will also factor into her escape.

They have not really developed Sansa's skillset to be anything more than a pawn in the game of thrones to be married off.   Arya will be an assassin, Jon a ranger, what skills does Sansa have?

Complaining?

I can only agree with the bewilderment of most of you on here about a certain type of person's inability to see last night's final scene in the context of the show as a whole. It was hard to watch, but Ramsay was never likely to send Theon out to pick some wild flowers for the breakfast table and put some Barry White on the stereo. There was a certain inevitability in the last scene once the main divergence from the book had been made, and to skirt over it would have been even worse storytelling.

« Reply #408 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Honestly I was way more bummed about Bronn's death than I was about Sansa consummating the marriage she's been on board with for a few weeks.

« Reply #409 on: May 18, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

"Wait, you mean to say you had sex with your husband on your wedding night?... you... you consummated your marriage!?!?  Oh the horror!... Arrest that man!  He followed the laws of the land and took his arranged bride on their wedding night... Arrest him!"

I mean, marital rape was perfectly legal not that long ago in our own world, let alone Westeros.

That's obviously not the point.

Honestly I was way more bummed about Bronn's death than I was about Sansa consummating the marriage she's been on board with for a few weeks.

I think we can acknowledge that Sansa willingly went into the arranged marriage and probably had some idea of what was coming without suggesting it's no big deal that she was the victim of sexual violence.

They didn't actually show Bronn dying, right?  Not yet.  They just showed us that he got cut with the Sand Snake blade, which means he'll die slowly of poison.

This of course is why they showed us the conversation about how Bronn would prefer a boring death when he is old. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #410 on: May 18, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

"Wait, you mean to say you had sex with your husband on your wedding night?... you... you consummated your marriage!?!?  Oh the horror!... Arrest that man!  He followed the laws of the land and took his arranged bride on their wedding night... Arrest him!"

I mean, marital rape was perfectly legal not that long ago in our own world, let alone Westeros.

That's obviously not the point.

I think we can acknowledge that Sansa willingly went into the arranged marriage and probably had some idea of what was coming without suggesting it's no big deal that she was the victim of sexual violence.

They didn't actually show Bronn dying, right?  Not yet.  They just showed us that he got cut with the Sand Snake blade, which means he'll die slowly of poison.

This of course is why they showed us the conversation about how Bronn would prefer a boring death when he is old.
I've learned to never think a character is dead until I actually see him die. In the books Martin made it seem like someone was dead, only to have them be alive later in the book. I will believe Bronn is dead once I see him completely dead.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #411 on: May 18, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bronn and Jamie sneaking around in disguise was about as cheesy as I've seen this show get.

I think the tension of wanting Theon to grow a pair and help Sansa out was pretty real.  At least I felt it. 

I read all of the books but I can't keep it all straight!  At some point Then does make some edgier at redemption.  And he did lie about knowing for certain the young Stark bid were dead .
Yup

« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bronn and Jamie sneaking around in disguise was about as cheesy as I've seen this show get.

Seems a lot of people feel like that entire bit was rushed and hacky.  Not a lot of fans of how the "sand snakes" were presented.  It felt very cliche fantasy.  The show seems to shy away from that. 

« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »

• Jrue Holiday

Seems a lot of people feel like that entire bit was rushed and hacky.  Not a lot of fans of how the "sand snakes" were presented.  It felt very cliche fantasy.  The show seems to shy away from that.

Yup, that whole section made me cringe, not least Bronn and Jamie's massively unconvincing disguises.

« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Complaining?
  Not at all, but if you think Ramsay lives at the end of this I think your in error.  He will die, it is just a matter of when.   Of course, he may do a lot of evil between now and then.   I like to see the bad guys get theirs, of course, in GoT a lot of good guys get theirs too.

At first, it was edgy and unique to Martian, but he has actually got relatively predictable and so has the show.  The good often suffer and the bad persist seems to be a rather common theme throughout.  Those who are not ruthless suffer.   

My thoughts exactly, I hate to see him possibly go.  Though it was pleasant to hear him sing, which is what he did before acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5V8ecsrxeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fgUY-kXlBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcGUpQJsjQ

« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »

• Jrue Holiday
Complaining?
  Not at all, but if you think Ramsay lives at the end of this I think your in error.  He will die, it is just a matter of when.   Of course, he may do a lot of evil between now and then.   I like to see the bad guys get theirs, of course, in GoT a lot of good guys get theirs too.

At first, it was edgy and unique to Martian, but he has actually got relatively predictable and so has the show.  The good often suffer and the bad persist seems to be a rather common theme throughout.  Those who are not ruthless suffer.   

My thoughts exactly, I hate to see him possibly go.  Though it was pleasant to hear him sing, which is what he did before acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5V8ecsrxeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fgUY-kXlBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcGUpQJsjQ

Think you might have misunderstood... my response of "Complaining?"  was to the question "... what skills does Sansa have?"

« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think it is possible that she could absorb elements of Lady Stoneheart.

« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm just wondering when Theon is going to tell Sansa he didn't kill Bran and Rickon.  I mean he has to do that or there is no way she will ever go anywhere with him and they seemingly do need to end up with Stannis at some point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #418 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
 Not sure if this has been posted or not but it is well worth the 12 minutes of your day

http://youtu.be/zs7xO5P3Az4
Yup

« Reply #419 on: May 22, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I'm just wondering when Theon is going to tell Sansa he didn't kill Bran and Rickon.  I mean he has to do that or there is no way she will ever go anywhere with him and they seemingly do need to end up with Stannis at some point.

The book has a scene where Bran talks to him by whisper through a tree.   People think that will happen and Sansa will over hear him.