Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 415312 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #375 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
While Snow being Rhaegar+Lyanna's kid is very likely correct, I don't really think the series will end with him or anyone else as king of Westeros.  I have a sneaking suspicion Daenaryes or someone else will use her dragons to melt the Iron Throne back down into scrap and revolutionize the social order.

It's been a pretty frequent theme that artifacts of power don't mean anything, power is just where people think it is.  The Iron Throne and who's sitting on it is just a red herring in the bigger scheme of things.
I think Daenaryes herself is a red herring.   Everyone is going to kill each other off (probably her as well), John will somehow be able to control the dragons... and when the dust settles he'll not only have the power, but the people's vote.   The best of both worlds... Targareon power and Stark morality.  Wolves and Dragons.    I just can't think of anyone else from a storyline perspective.   

Or they could rule together since Targaryen's regularly wed brothers and sisters to keep the bloodlines pure. I've also sort of thought that's how it would end.

However, with Jon being so loyal to the Night's Watch, he may never end up leaving there and just rule as Lord Commander of the Wall.

I've only read the first book in the series, so I'm sure there are even more clues in the book that we're missing. I think the best part of the series will be the fight against the White Walkers. That part hasn't even been reached in the books yet has it?

« Reply #376 on: April 27, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My guess on who will be on throne is based on who will lead the fight against the white walkers. Its suppose to be the three wolves, the eagle, the shadowcat, and the bear lead the kingdom against the white walkers. But the Show/books will probably end there. Trying to figure out who is each if it's literal based on banners then it is John/Wolf as king of the wall, Rickon/Wolf as Warden of the north, Arya/shadowcat faceless high assassin, Bran/Wolf the 3 eyed crow, Mormount/Bear lead general of the 7 kingdoms, and Sansa/eagle Ward of the west with likely Daenaryes on the Iron throne as Mormount is her master of war.

But then again if not literal then eagle could be Jamie and the bear could be Brieanne and Tyrion could be on the throne?
I take it you've read the books, because I have no idea what prophecy you are referring to.   I'll just say, I hope Sansa is murdered by her own sister at some point.
I read the books and don't remember any area where it was discussed that to beat the Others/White Walkers that it would be done by 3 wolves, a bear, an eagle, etc.

I think this might be some fan speculation much like who the mother of Jon Snow is. I don't believe Martin has said anything about what was needed to beat the Others other than dragon glass and dragon fire.

« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
My guess on who will be on throne is based on who will lead the fight against the white walkers. Its suppose to be the three wolves, the eagle, the shadowcat, and the bear lead the kingdom against the white walkers. But the Show/books will probably end there. Trying to figure out who is each if it's literal based on banners then it is John/Wolf as king of the wall, Rickon/Wolf as Warden of the north, Arya/shadowcat faceless high assassin, Bran/Wolf the 3 eyed crow, Mormount/Bear lead general of the 7 kingdoms, and Sansa/eagle Ward of the west with likely Daenaryes on the Iron throne as Mormount is her master of war.

But then again if not literal then eagle could be Jamie and the bear could be Brieanne and Tyrion could be on the throne?
I take it you've read the books, because I have no idea what prophecy you are referring to.   I'll just say, I hope Sansa is murdered by her own sister at some point.
I read the books and don't remember any area where it was discussed that to beat the Others/White Walkers that it would be done by 3 wolves, a bear, an eagle, etc.

I think this might be some fan speculation much like who the mother of Jon Snow is. I don't believe Martin has said anything about what was needed to beat the Others other than dragon glass and dragon fire.

I thought this was a legend/fairy tale about the last time the White Walkers were beaten, but I looked it up and all I can find is that some warg possessed those animals (the guy named "Sixskins")  So I dunno. 

« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
While Snow being Rhaegar+Lyanna's kid is very likely correct, I don't really think the series will end with him or anyone else as king of Westeros.  I have a sneaking suspicion Daenaryes or someone else will use her dragons to melt the Iron Throne back down into scrap and revolutionize the social order.

It's been a pretty frequent theme that artifacts of power don't mean anything, power is just where people think it is.  The Iron Throne and who's sitting on it is just a red herring in the bigger scheme of things.
I think Daenaryes herself is a red herring.   Everyone is going to kill each other off (probably her as well), John will somehow be able to control the dragons... and when the dust settles he'll not only have the power, but the people's vote.   The best of both worlds... Targareon power and Stark morality.  Wolves and Dragons.    I just can't think of anyone else from a storyline perspective.   

Or they could rule together since Targaryen's regularly wed brothers and sisters to keep the bloodlines pure. I've also sort of thought that's how it would end.

However, with Jon being so loyal to the Night's Watch, he may never end up leaving there and just rule as Lord Commander of the Wall.

I've only read the first book in the series, so I'm sure there are even more clues in the book that we're missing. I think the best part of the series will be the fight against the White Walkers. That part hasn't even been reached in the books yet has it?

I think that might happen at some point (the Jon/Dany thing) but I don't think it'll end up there.  Just don't think this will have a "happily ever after" or even a "things went back to normal" ending.  I think the whole point of the conflict is to end Westeros as it had been and start a new era.  Just plopping another king down in the same spot doesn't seem to fit, especially since Martin supposedly wrote the books because he found the Lord of the Rings ending with Aragorn becoming the superbest king ever annoying and simplistic.

« Reply #379 on: April 27, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I think that might happen at some point (the Jon/Dany thing) but I don't think it'll end up there.  Just don't think this will have a "happily ever after" or even a "things went back to normal" ending.  I think the whole point of the conflict is to end Westeros as it had been and start a new era.  Just plopping another king down in the same spot doesn't seem to fit, especially since Martin supposedly wrote the books because he found the Lord of the Rings ending with Aragorn becoming the superbest king ever annoying and simplistic.

Hell, knowing Martin the Walkers might just kill everybody and that'll be the end of it.

But I think you're right about the Seven Kingdoms coming to an end. I'm guessing the remaining Children of the Forest seen at the end of Season 4 will have something to do with it, too.

« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I thought this was a legend/fairy tale about the last time the White Walkers were beaten, but I looked it up and all I can find is that some warg possessed those animals (the guy named "Sixskins")  So I dunno.
Sixskins is one of the foreshadowing parts but there are a bunch that repeat the same. The 7 as well as others. Some good stuff when ever there is a dream. It's not directly stated any where if it was what would be the point of reading the book.

« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Dany's older brother is Jon's father.  Dany is Jon's Aunt.  She gun die.

« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2015, 10:33:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Tyrion could John's uncle and Danny's older half brother. Mad king was supposed have r***  Tywins  wife which is why Tywin got angry and left Kings landing and title of the hand.

« Reply #383 on: April 27, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Tyrion could John's uncle and Danny's older half brother. Mad king was supposed have r***  Tywins  wife which is why Tywin got angry and left Kings landing and title of the hand.

See I don't like that one too much; I really like the idea that Tyrion really is Tywin's son, by blood but mainly by character.  Especially if Tywin was sublimating his worries about his OTHER kids' paternity by applying it to Tyrion.  Makes their relationship a lot more interesting. 

Now Cersei and Jaime being Aerys' kids...that's interesting, makes more sense (since they're older and their mom was sent away around the same time) and would explain the incest pretty neatly too.  And actually means Tommen has a better claim on the throne than anybody  :D

Both are pretty speculative, though.  But I think the Tyrion one is mainly cuz people want to see him ride a dragon.

« Reply #384 on: April 27, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think I will like the Dany stories better with Tyrion, Varys and Sir Jorah.   So far, that is my least favorite storyline.  I like the Wall storyline and Jon Snow and we may get a shocker there, soon.  But to me that is the most interesting part of the HBO series.  I can't wait to see  how the Faceless man stuff is handled with Arya.  I think that Sansa may absorb elements of Lady Stoneheart into her character and be an agent of vengance.

« Reply #385 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Read Martins the World of Ice and Fire. It gives a long history of Westeros before TSOIAF. In it it is discussed at length that Tywin Lannister left Kings Landing in protest of Mad Aerys naming Jamie to the Kingsguard as well as many ruling policy conflicts. It had nothing to do with Tywins wife possibly being raped. Again, that isn't even mentioned. It's just internet conjecture.

« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Read Martins the World of Ice and Fire. It gives a long history of Westeros before TSOIAF. In it it is discussed at length that Tywin Lannister left Kings Landing in protest of Mad Aerys naming Jamie to the Kingsguard as well as many ruling policy conflicts. It had nothing to do with Tywins wife possibly being raped. Again, that isn't even mentioned. It's just internet conjecture.
I read them. I didn't say it was a sure thing as it hasn't been written. I believe it could be possible, its why I wrote could and supposedly have and not "is". I firmly think policy isn't a reason to leave the second highest position in the kingdom. Also Jamie wanted to be a kings guard wasn't like the Aerys just did it out the blue.

« Reply #387 on: April 28, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
If you read the books, you kow the whole thing with the Iron Throne is secondary to the storyline at the Wall.

Speaking of crazy fan theories, you might want to check this one out.

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.de/2013/05/ragnarok-song-of-ice-fire.html
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #388 on: April 28, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
If you read the books, you kow the whole thing with the Iron Throne is secondary to the storyline at the Wall.

Speaking of crazy fan theories, you might want to check this one out.

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.de/2013/05/ragnarok-song-of-ice-fire.html

Yeah, I've heard that as well. I just enjoyed the series much more than the books. I read enough academic crap, so I'm pretty burnt on reading, even casual reading.

It's amazing how the series has focused much more on the war and throne situation. I honestly can't wait for the series to head more towards teh wall.

« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2015, 03:28:53 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Tonight was some  devilish ish....tuff to watch....