Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 412124 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2014, 04:02:15 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Are there spoilers from the books in this forum? I'm afraid to look into the thread.

It might be helpful to have two separate threads much like AV Club does reviews, one for "newbies" (show only) and one for "experts" (show + books).

Thats a good point there should be a separate thread.

Does anyone know the deal with Shea? My question is was she always working for the father, or did she just hate him after he kicked her out of Kings Landing?

« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2014, 06:25:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Are there spoilers from the books in this forum? I'm afraid to look into the thread.

It might be helpful to have two separate threads much like AV Club does reviews, one for "newbies" (show only) and one for "experts" (show + books).

Thats a good point there should be a separate thread.

Does anyone know the deal with Shea? My question is was she always working for the father, or did she just hate him after he kicked her out of Kings Landing?
There are discussions of the books in this thread.  Shae loved the Imp, but she, like most in the series, is an opportunist and when the writing was on the wall she jumped ship.  Just like Bronn.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
she jumped ship.  Just like Bronn.

I do not think Bronn jumped ship completely.  Only a fool would face the mountain  and he was  still was friendly with Tyrion.   I consider him more a realist than a back stabber.  Shae's was a total betrayal.  Shae betrayed Tyrion's love but to be fair she was a prostitute.   Bron was always a rogue.  A savage killer but he generally is only as savage as his employer's mandates.  He was always out to back the winning side.  Both used their bodies for advancement.    One for sex the other for killing and both clearly used Tyrion.   One shows regret, Bronn,  but the other does not, Shae.  Tyrion had an escape route for Shae but none for Bronn.  Bronn did what an anyone would do and try to survive. ( everyone talks brave but in my army experience friends who will fight with you or for you in a bar fight are rare birds).  Shae was safely gone and came back and totally hosed Tyrion.

This already happened so I do not consider it spoiler and it happened several shows ago.     In book he takes an offer from Cersei to marry into Stokeworths and refuses to fight the Mountain.   He does not completely forget Tyrion though.   In TV it is largely the same but he comes and sees him in his cell.  The difference is Bronn shows regret at being an opportunity.  Shae does not at all.   

One thing, I always found fascinating is where Martin got his ideas.   I always thought the War of Roses was an inspiration for GoT.   York and Lancester sound a lot like Stark and Lannister.  it is certainly not the only influence but I believe it is one.

All NBA and Got fans need to watch this it is very funny, we make an appearance in episode 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St5PLcxZy44&feature=kp

« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I feel like Shae may have at one point loved Tyrion, but that it was more of a "I shouldn't get my hopes up but I'm kind of digging this" kind of thing. And that once Tyrion tried to put her aside, that instead of seeing it for the attempt to save her life that it was, she instead saw it as the confirmation that she really was nothing but a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. to him and that she needed to stop pretending to be something that she wasn't.

Once she decided to testify against him at the trial, she might as well have gone all in with Tywin. Though having her wake up with a "Tywin...my Lion?" was a bit of twisting the sword.

« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2014, 08:21:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I do not think Bronn jumped ship completely.  Only a fool would face the mountain  and he was  still was friendly with Tyrion.   I consider him more a realist than a back stabber.  Shae's was a total betrayal.  Shae betrayed Tyrion's love but to be fair she was a prostitute.   Bron was always a rogue.  A savage killer but he generally is only as savage as his employer's mandates.  He was always out to back the winning side.  Both used their bodies for advancement.    One for sex the other for killing and both clearly used Tyrion.   One shows regret, Bronn,  but the other does not, Shae.  Tyrion had an escape route for Shae but none for Bronn.  Bronn did what an anyone would do and try to survive. ( everyone talks brave but in my army experience friends who will fight with you or for you in a bar fight are rare birds).  Shae was safely gone and came back and totally hosed Tyrion.

This already happened so I do not consider it spoiler and it happened several shows ago.     In book he takes an offer from Cersei to marry into Stokeworths and refuses to fight the Mountain.   He does not completely forget Tyrion though.   In TV it is largely the same but he comes and sees him in his cell.  The difference is Bronn shows regret at being an opportunity.  Shae does not at all.   

One thing, I always found fascinating is where Martin got his ideas.   I always thought the War of Roses was an inspiration for GoT.   York and Lancester sound a lot like Stark and Lannister.  it is certainly not the only influence but I believe it is one.

All NBA and Got fans need to watch this it is very funny, we make an appearance in episode 2.

Well sure Bronn was a bit more noble in his jumping ship, but they both jumped ship.  I think Shae jumping ship was a bit more dramatic because she seemed to really love Tyrion at one point (and unlike Bronn you almost forget she was a prostitute) and Tyrion clearly loved her, but at the end of the day they both jumped off the sinking ship onto the winning ship (or at least the winning ship at the moment - I'm sure Shae never expected Tyrion to be freed and kill her). 

« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Well sure Bronn was a bit more noble in his jumping ship, but they both jumped ship.  I think Shae jumping ship was a bit more dramatic because she seemed to really love Tyrion at one point (and unlike Bronn you almost forget she was a prostitute) and Tyrion clearly loved her, but at the end of the day they both jumped off the sinking ship onto the winning ship (or at least the winning ship at the moment - I'm sure Shae never expected Tyrion to be freed and kill her).

My kneeees :'(  That was great thanks for sharing that. Thanks for clarifying Shae. One thing I did keep wanting was for the hound to say something nice to Arya, or other way around, before she left. He opened up when they were by the fire and he needed help with the wound. And when Briene confronted them he said he was watching her....i just thought they were an interesting travel pairing.

« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2014, 09:15:55 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

+1 to you, Moranis and celtics4ever.

Seeing the picture of LeBroid in the video and then you guys mentioning "BRONN jumping ship"
made me see the connection of LEBRON(N) jumping the Cavs ship.

Either very clever or great irony. Either way, +1.

I'm a little slow sometimes, takes me a while to get things.

« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Poor Oberyn ...

I don't have much sympathy for him though. He broke the #1 rule in a "Until Death" fight. Don't be a showboat - just finish your opponent off.
He was trying to get him to say who ordered it

« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Also this is just me but I thought the fight between the Mountain and the Viper was unrealistic in nature.

« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRdVw82Jd8

New GOT trailer!

Only about a month left!

« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Pretty excited. Watched seasons 1-4 so now I'm all caught up. Not as detailed as I would like, but that doesn't suit TV anyway.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Poor Oberyn ...

I don't have much sympathy for him though. He broke the #1 rule in a "Until Death" fight. Don't be a showboat - just finish your opponent off.
He was trying to get him to say who ordered it

Don't worry, they fixed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oOi6JOXEQ

« Reply #357 on: March 09, 2015, 11:03:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Pretty excited. Watched seasons 1-4 so now I'm all caught up. Not as detailed as I would like, but that doesn't suit TV anyway.

I'm rewatching the seasons ahead of the new season coming out, and I get the filler episodes critique that somebody made the other day regarding GoT. It's a lot less dramatic the second and third time around, though still good.

« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So many changes from the books to this season.  I think one of the changes from last night did a great job of foreshadowing one of the battles that was left hanging at the end of book 5. 

« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So many changes from the books to this season.  I think one of the changes from last night did a great job of foreshadowing one of the battles that was left hanging at the end of book 5.
I really didn't like that they had Sansa as the one marrying Ramsey (mostly because in the book he bites his wife who is an Arya lookalike on her lady parts and makes her have sex with his hunting dogs and her life has been hard enough). However, if they did this to set up her killing him it might be the most satisfying part of the show.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19