Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413157 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 02:36:23 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I've seen episode 6 and it's still great. My only complaint is that the direwolves are totally missing, I don't understand why... They should have been in the "Bran in the forest" scene for example but their masters always appear withtout them... weird because it's a big subplot in the books.

Maybe they're downplaying the wolves a little because in the books they are much bigger and more impressive than the rather normal looking wolves they have running around in the show?  In the show they really just look like wolf pets, not super smart ultra strong direwolves.

I watched the latest episode this evening and it was good, though very grim.  Really not much positive happened, though the scene where Drogo kills that dude and literally rips out his tongue is pretty awesome.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I've seen episode 6 and it's still great. My only complaint is that the direwolves are totally missing, I don't understand why... They should have been in the "Bran in the forest" scene for example but their masters always appear withtout them... weird because it's a big subplot in the books.

Maybe they're downplaying the wolves a little because in the books they are much bigger and more impressive than the rather normal looking wolves they have running around in the show?  In the show they really just look like wolf pets, not super smart ultra strong direwolves.

I watched the latest episode this evening and it was good, though very grim.  Really not much positive happened, though the scene where Drogo kills that dude and literally rips out his tongue is pretty awesome.

Yeah I think they are trying to "hide" the wolves as much as they can because they look like cute pets, but still, it's weird! The same thing happened in episode 9 where they used excuses (Tyrion getting knocked off before the battle) to avoid filming battle scenes, for budget purposes I guess.

Anyway, the show is great regardless, the last episode was awesome and the ending... wow. Knew it was going to happen because I had read the book (and this scene over and over) but it got me hard, I think they managed to make the scene even more shocking or painful than in the book!

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TP..agree 100% on the last scene. The drama of the women extolling to Joffrey that he wasn't supposed to be doing that, the look on the faces of Varys and Pycelle of being duped and finally Stark's expression was priceless. The visuality of the scene just could not be brought out in Martin's words the way the could on film with great actors.

Yeah I think they are trying to "hide" the wolves as much as they can because they look like cute pets, but still, it's weird! The same thing happened in episode 9 where they used excuses (Tyrion getting knocked off before the battle) to avoid filming battle scenes, for budget purposes I guess.

Anyway, the show is great regardless, the last episode was awesome and the ending... wow. Knew it was going to happen because I had read the book (and this scene over and over) but it got me hard, I think they managed to make the scene even more shocking or painful than in the book!

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah it took me 9 episodes to feel comfortable recommending this show for general audiences (as opposed to just uber nerds who like genre shows).   In that sense, I'd compare it to Battlestar Galactica (the first two seasons at least... until it jumped the shark and turned to utter crap) ... BSG was the last genre show I felt comfortable pushing on normal folk ("no trust me... it's not typical nerdy sci fi... it's actually really good!").

The only thing I'll say about Game of Thrones is that... having not read the books I initially got slightly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of characters.  I'd highly recommend sharing this "family tree" image with anyone you push the show on:  http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Game-of-Thrones-Houses-infographic-Westeros-101-f.jpg

For example (without spoiling anything), I somehow was under the impression that Jamie Lannister was Cersei and King Robert's eldest son... which caused a whole mess of confusion in one of the earlier episodes.  Again, without spoiling anything, I went from going "Wait... I'm pretty sure this is kinda messed up... let me check... oOooh... that's messed up too".   Maybe I just wasn't paying attention... it's hard to capture all the finer plot points with so many boobies flying around.

I also have to give some love to the scene where Littlefinger "trains" his employees (i think episode 6)... I haven't watched a scene have that much fun with that content since Patrick Bateman thoughtfully paused mid Phil Collins rant to say, "Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it". 

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I haven't read the book and have really gotten into the series. I couldn't believe the ending to this week's show---totally caught unaware.  I usually like to read the books of movies I see but I'm glad I didn't in this case.  I think it had a much more dramatic effect that way.  (My wife was crushed and irate that they killed him off).

Poor Sean Bean -- can't manage to survive in a movie with swords.

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I haven't read the book and have really gotten into the series. I couldn't believe the ending to this week's show---totally caught unaware.  I usually like to read the books of movies I see but I'm glad I didn't in this case.  I think it had a much more dramatic effect that way.  (My wife was crushed and irate that they killed him off).

He made it out of Troy.

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Maybe they're downplaying the wolves a little because in the books they are much bigger and more impressive than the rather normal looking wolves they have running around in the show?  In the show they really just look like wolf pets, not super smart ultra strong direwolves.

I watched the latest episode this evening and it was good, though very grim.  Really not much positive happened, though the scene where Drogo kills that dude and literally rips out his tongue is pretty awesome.

I haven't read the book and have really gotten into the series. I couldn't believe the ending to this week's show---totally caught unaware. I usually like to read the books of movies I see but I'm glad I didn't in this case.  I think it had a much more dramatic effect that way.  (My wife was crushed and irate that they killed him off).

Total shocker in the book for me too.  I'd been enjoying the first book a lot up to that point, but this was the part that first made me aware that I was reading something different from anything else I'd read before. Rarely does an author invest so much in a character only to have him offed so early in the telling.  It's a testament to the depth of characters in the story, that such a central and compelling figure is expendable.

The lack of battle scenes is a bit conspicuous, but I can see why they're doing without them. 

This weeks episode was probably the best so far though.
Yup

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I haven't read the book and have really gotten into the series. I couldn't believe the ending to this week's show---totally caught unaware. I usually like to read the books of movies I see but I'm glad I didn't in this case.  I think it had a much more dramatic effect that way.  (My wife was crushed and irate that they killed him off).

Total shocker in the book for me too.  I'd been enjoying the first book a lot up to that point, but this was the part that first made me aware that I was reading something different from anything else I'd read before. Rarely does an author invest so much in a character only to have him offed so early in the telling.  It's a testament to the depth of characters in the story, that such a central and compelling figure is expendable.

Yeah you really get attached to Eddard. I'm on the third book now, and I don't think I've gotten as attached to any character that has died yet as much as I did to Eddard.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, 03:56:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I have this baby all queued up on Amazon.  Ready to deliver in less than a month!

http://tinyurl.com/67ctl4f

Yup

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Well, I started watching game of thrones after reading some of the threads on here about it.  Now, I can't figure out if its called 'game of thrones' or 'game of doggystyles'.

Regardless, good series so far.

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have this baby all queued up on Amazon.  Ready to deliver in less than a month!

http://tinyurl.com/67ctl4f

I'm going to a bookstore and buying it first thing and reading it til it's done(on vacation that week), that is after waking up late from seeing the midnight showing of Harry Potter 8 the night before.

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 04:24:16 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Just started watching it from the start per recommendation (thank you HBO on demand).  Loving it only 2 ep in so far.

;D
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sean Bean is the man.  Pure awesomeness.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43395782/ns/today-entertainment/

I mean first he is at a bar with a Playboy Bunny 30 years younger then him.

Then he does the noble thing and defends her honor only to end up getting punched in the eye and stabbed in the arm with broken glass.

Then he just goes back into the bar like nothing happened without retaliation.

I mean that man is the definition of awesomeness.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sean Bean is the man.  Pure awesomeness.

Then he does the noble thing and defends her honor only to end up getting punched in the eye and stabbed in the arm with broken glass.

Well the without retaliation thing is a little weird. the way the news story comes off, Bean got into it with a dude and then got punched and stabbed without getting any licks in of his own.

If that was the case, I imagine he was saving face by acting tough.

I know I did something similar in a similar situation, and the fact was 3 dudes had just beat me up, but all I was thinking was "I just lost. CRAP!" and so I told the cops I didn't wanna press charges or go to the hospital and walked it off.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sean Bean is the man.  Pure awesomeness.

Well the without retaliation thing is a little weird. the way the news story comes off, Bean got into it with a dude and then got punched and stabbed without getting any licks in of his own.

If that was the case, I imagine he was saving face by acting tough.

I know I did something similar in a similar situation, and the fact was 3 dudes had just beat me up, but all I was thinking was "I just lost. CRAP!" and so I told the cops I didn't wanna press charges or go to the hospital and walked it off.
according to the original Daily Mail story, the other guy was making lewd comments, Bean got in his way and the guy left, only to come back later and get physical with Bean (and it was implied they were cheap shots).  If it happened like that, I could certainly see where Bean wouldn't get any licks in as in it was totally unexpected.  For him to just get up after that and go back inside takes some stones.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip