Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413184 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Episode 4's ending was pretty great.

Yea 5 and beyond should be great, that Incident leads to the war kicking off in pretty short order

I liked four, thought Sam was well done (and yea ghost)

Also liked Danny showing her evolution into a queen. I was ticked last episode when they didn't hav her tell viserys to walk, but this made up for it

Only thin I really didn't like this week was the indomitablly long bath tub scene where viserys explained the entire history of his family. I mean, I get that they want to get that actor more screen time before the ummm incident that's comic up shortly, and that they have to have those scenes because the books do alot of that stuff through internal POV monologues, but that one just felt forced

Interested to see if people who haven't read the books found that scene jarring an out of place or if it was needed to close some gaps In that families history.

At least it had a cute topless girl in it to try to make it more bareable ;)

I haven't read the books and I just found that scene kind of boring.  Didn't pay much attention.  Their family is related to dragons?  Or they were dragon riders?  What?  It's really unclear to me what they're getting at. 

I've gotten the visual hints that the kaleesy (spelling) girl is feeling some connection with the dragon eggs.  I don't much care for her brother or their family's history.

yup

there are a lot of mythical type things that have yet to really come to play in the story...the dire wolves, the things that dwell beyond the wall, the dragons...etc...Some stuff that had become merely folklore to the people living in this age starts to resurface slowly.
Yup

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Episode 4's ending was pretty great.

Yea 5 and beyond should be great, that Incident leads to the war kicking off in pretty short order

I liked four, thought Sam was well done (and yea ghost)

Also liked Danny showing her evolution into a queen. I was ticked last episode when they didn't hav her tell viserys to walk, but this made up for it

Only thin I really didn't like this week was the indomitablly long bath tub scene where viserys explained the entire history of his family. I mean, I get that they want to get that actor more screen time before the ummm incident that's comic up shortly, and that they have to have those scenes because the books do alot of that stuff through internal POV monologues, but that one just felt forced

Interested to see if people who haven't read the books found that scene jarring an out of place or if it was needed to close some gaps In that families history.

At least it had a cute topless girl in it to try to make it more bareable ;)

I haven't read the books and I just found that scene kind of boring.  Didn't pay much attention.  Their family is related to dragons?  Or they were dragon riders?  What?  It's really unclear to me what they're getting at.  

I've gotten the visual hints that the kaleesy (spelling) girl is feeling some connection with the dragon eggs.  I don't much care for her brother or their family's history.

Well, there at least doing something right then :)

Glad to hear i wasn't alone in thinking that scene missed the mark, one of the few. but yea, your supposed to hate visceries, he represents all that was wrong with his family: arrogance, hate, madness, tryanny ect

and meanwhile Danny evolves into what it's said the first people in there house were like i.e noble, selfless, honor ect.

And yea, i'm liking how they are doing her emergence as a person, without spoiling it with specifics let me say that in the books she went from this downtrodden, oppressed, pretty much slave to absolute and awesome ruler of an entire nation in the latest book...so i think at least for now, here actress is doing a good job showing her slowly waking up to what she can be.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:17:27 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Also wanted to hear from some book readers on something I noticed

Is it just me or does the more objective prospective of a tv show really help develop and make you care about secondary characters?

Example: I loath allistor Thorne in the books, but in the show I see him as more just a grizzled old vet concerned the young brothers aren't ready. I absolutely loved his speech this week.

Similarly, I think little finger and  varys come off as less one dimensional evil/bad

I've decided that what causes it is in the books, you see those people from the POV of people who hate them, while in the show, they tend to be shown more objectively since were not getting the view of them through the same mental filter. I've liked it so far, but wonder how it will work with some big plot points....minor spoilers below I guess

For example, rahgar (sp). In the books, we are left in suspense as to what kind of man he was because of the POV aspect. Robert clearly hates him, but Ned and others who have gotten POV chapters seem to remeber him as an upstanding and nobel if arrogant, guy. This plays into a ton of the conspiracy theories for heads of the dragon, jon snow parentage theories, Ect.

Just wonder how or if they'll get at that kinda development of characters with this third person prospective the show has to have. I've liked what it's done for those and other chrActers so far though :)

Apologies for grammar, that's alot to type on an iPhone hehe
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Also wanted to hear from some book readers on something I noticed

Is it just me or does the more objective prospective of a tv show really help develop and make you care about secondary characters?

Example: I loath allistor Thorne in the books, but in the show I see him as more just a grizzled old vet concerned the young brothers aren't ready. I absolutely loved his speech this week.

Similarly, I think little finger and  varys come off as less one dimensional evil/bad

I agree with you, I didn't like Alliser either in the book and here he is more interesting and you can actually feel for him. I don't agree on Varys and Littlefinger, you can sense in the books that they are not liked but they do not appear like "pure evil", you can see that they have various interests in mind and thus play a double game to reach their goals. You are always left to wonder what is their goal and if they really are honest or not.

I really liked the actors that play Hodor and Sam (although I always saw him fatter - if possible :D -). The end of episode 4 was great, and it should kick off some major events in the next episodes. And I've already mentioned it like 10 times but Peter Dinklage is just amazing, Tyrion is the best character of the show!

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The crown of gold!
Yup

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
tryin to get into it..watch past eps on demand..

doesnt feel like anything new

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The crown of gold!

Loved it..loved really getting to see Braun (especially the 'No, but he did." line!), loved Tyrion again, and I'm starting to really like Theon Grayjoy. Rob, I never liked in the books and I like less on the show. He's got froggy eyes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The crown of gold!

Loved it..loved really getting to see Braun (especially the 'No, but he did." line!), loved Tyrion again, and I'm starting to really like Theon Grayjoy. Rob, I never liked in the books and I like less on the show. He's got froggy eyes.

The sniveling little prince up on the mountain is played to a T too. 

Tyrion's using the ol' cabesa to get out of jail was excellent.
Yup

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The reason that this series is different from most has not presented itself yet. Give it more time.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just watched next week's episode on HBOgo.com. ****g awesome.

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I was considering doing this, but then I wouldn't be able to watch it this weekend. What are your thoughts about having to wait almost two weeks to see the next episode?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The reason that this series is different from most has not presented itself yet. Give it more time.

I'm giving it a shot.  My girlfriend is forcing me to watch it. Go figure.  She has a few uber-nerd friends who got her into it before I met her.  That, and she seems to be a big fan of Peter Dinklage (the guy who plays the imp).  All I had seen him in before this was Elf, but apparently he's a pretty good actor.  So far, gotta say I'm enjoying him in this.  Great role for him.

All she has really told me about the series is that... characters you expect to be "main characters" get killed off without warning pretty frequently... and characters you'd expect to die seemingly keep sticking around.   Is that how it's different?

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
btw... the running joke between my girlfriend and I when we watch the show is that I'll say, "I can't wait for when the dragons finally show up!"... to which she'll reply in a frustrated tone "the dragons are all dead... this show isn't about dragons!"...

I can't tell if she's telling the truth and trying not to get my hopes up... or if she is trying to get me not to ruin the surprise for myself... regardless, it seems to bug her... so I'll keep saying it.

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I was considering doing this, but then I wouldn't be able to watch it this weekend. What are your thoughts about having to wait almost two weeks to see the next episode?
Holiday weekend next week so I am more than likely at a barbeque or party.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I've seen episode 6 and it's still great. My only complaint is that the direwolves are totally missing, I don't understand why... They should have been in the "Bran in the forest" scene for example but their masters always appear withtout them... weird because it's a big subplot in the books.