Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413074 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #960 on: June 27, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm not going to lie, when Tommen killed himself, it gave me a bit of smile knowing that it would hurt Cersei. What a wretched woman. She's ultimately making herself just as much of a villain as the Army of the Dead and the White Walkers. That's going to be one hell of a cat fight next season between her and Daenerys!  ;D
Comparatively speaking, Cersei isn't that bad.  She is simply repaying those that betrayed her and plotted against her.  She loved her children and put their interests first.  She was loyal to her father even though he treated her poorly. 

« Reply #961 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm not going to lie, when Tommen killed himself, it gave me a bit of smile knowing that it would hurt Cersei. What a wretched woman. She's ultimately making herself just as much of a villain as the Army of the Dead and the White Walkers. That's going to be one hell of a cat fight next season between her and Daenerys!  ;D
Comparatively speaking, Cersei isn't that bad.  She is simply repaying those that betrayed her and plotted against her.  She loved her children and put their interests first.  She was loyal to her father even though he treated her poorly.

Really? lol In actuality, nobody betrayed her. She WAS guilty of all those sins - incest, killing her husband the king, perjury, betraying the Martells, etc. lol And did she put her children's interest first when she blew up Margaery, her son's (the King) beloved wife, and his family? lol

Naw, she's been selfish and wretched her entire life.

« Reply #962 on: June 27, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Also, Littlefinger is sketchy AF, huh? I thought his end goal was to marry Sansa and just be the Warden of the North, but he actually is trying to sit on the Iron Throne. He's also not psyched about Jon's new promotion to King of the North, so that's an interesting plot line for next season.

So the prophecy is almost complete, and the little brother is going to kill Cersei. It very well might be Jaime, because I think even he sees the danger of Queen Cersei.

And that was an excellent call by whoever it was to say that Varys would ally Dorne with Daenerys. I'm guessing there's no more "Seven Kingdoms" by the time this is all done.
I got a bunch of guesses right but man Tommen suicide was not on my radar. Bummed at that one. I think there will be 3 or 5 kingdoms in the end.

I thought Tommen would be caught up in the sept and die alongside all of the others, even though Cersei would try and get him out.

I am very surprised that the Walkers and Army of the Dead didn't show up at the wall. With Coldhands talking about the magic built into the wall, it may be setting up for them to use the horn of winter or whatever.
Yup horn must be in play next season. And I thought Tommen was going to die in fire too. Suicide was so much worse. The kid was all heart till the end. A bard needs to write a song about that death.

I think the Arya/Walder Frey part could have been done a little better. That's an issue that I've noticed with many of the season finales for this show. They always put a little too much in, so there's hardly any work up to some of the stories.

Wasn't the "eating of kin" scene some part of a legend as a consequence for violating guest rights or something? I vaguely remember a connection between the two.

It would've made sense to hold off on Arya killing the Freys for a while (how fast was her boat anyway?) but then they'd've had to pay the Frey actors for another season.  They usually like to wrap up whatever they're doing with smaller characters in the same season.  It definitely felt abrupt though it was nice to see them finally get theirs.

The Frey Pie thing was a direct reference to something similar done to some of the Freys in the books, as well as the legend of the Rat King than Bran told way back before the Red Wedding.

One of the more interesting trends that no one here seems to have mentioned is that women are taking over basically everywhere.  It'll be interesting to see that dynamic play out.  Too bad we never got to see any real conclusion to Margaery's plotting - she was one of the most interesting characters to me but she basically just got screwed over by the Sparrow then blown up.

« Reply #963 on: June 27, 2016, 10:32:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Also, Littlefinger is sketchy AF, huh? I thought his end goal was to marry Sansa and just be the Warden of the North, but he actually is trying to sit on the Iron Throne. He's also not psyched about Jon's new promotion to King of the North, so that's an interesting plot line for next season.

So the prophecy is almost complete, and the little brother is going to kill Cersei. It very well might be Jaime, because I think even he sees the danger of Queen Cersei.

And that was an excellent call by whoever it was to say that Varys would ally Dorne with Daenerys. I'm guessing there's no more "Seven Kingdoms" by the time this is all done.
I got a bunch of guesses right but man Tommen suicide was not on my radar. Bummed at that one. I think there will be 3 or 5 kingdoms in the end.

I thought Tommen would be caught up in the sept and die alongside all of the others, even though Cersei would try and get him out.

I am very surprised that the Walkers and Army of the Dead didn't show up at the wall. With Coldhands talking about the magic built into the wall, it may be setting up for them to use the horn of winter or whatever.
Yup horn must be in play next season. And I thought Tommen was going to die in fire too. Suicide was so much worse. The kid was all heart till the end. A bard needs to write a song about that death.

I think the Arya/Walder Frey part could have been done a little better. That's an issue that I've noticed with many of the season finales for this show. They always put a little too much in, so there's hardly any work up to some of the stories.

Wasn't the "eating of kin" scene some part of a legend as a consequence for violating guest rights or something? I vaguely remember a connection between the two.

It would've made sense to hold off on Arya killing the Freys for a while (how fast was her boat anyway?) but then they'd've had to pay the Frey actors for another season.  They usually like to wrap up whatever they're doing with smaller characters in the same season.  It definitely felt abrupt though it was nice to see them finally get theirs.

The Frey Pie thing was a direct reference to something similar done to some of the Freys in the books, as well as the legend of the Rat King than Bran told way back before the Red Wedding.

One of the more interesting trends that no one here seems to have mentioned is that women are taking over basically everywhere.  It'll be interesting to see that dynamic play out.  Too bad we never got to see any real conclusion to Margaery's plotting - she was one of the most interesting characters to me but she basically just got screwed over by the Sparrow then blown up.

Ah, TP, that's what it was. That was the first time that Bran took over Hodor, iirc.

EDIT: Well, technically not the VERY first time since he became Hodor in the past due to Bran warging into him lol

« Reply #964 on: June 27, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

It will be one united kingdom at the end under one of the Targarayen rulers or maybe both, though I don't think both Jon and Dany live to the end.
I'm speaking about leadership over an area in the same way they still call it the seven kingdoms. It will be different after she is done.

« Reply #965 on: June 27, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It will be one united kingdom at the end under one of the Targarayen rulers or maybe both, though I don't think both Jon and Dany live to the end.
I'm speaking about leadership over an area in the same way they still call it the seven kingdoms. It will be different after she is done.
I don't think so.  I think they will be all united under one leader and that leader will be a Targaryen i.e. Jon or Dany. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #966 on: June 27, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Ive always thought that the little brother is Tyrion or Jamie (which it really must be now).  I think maybe Jamie because they made a big deal of him being the younger twin

« Reply #967 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I don't think so.  I think they will be all united under one leader and that leader will be a Targaryen i.e. Jon or Dany.
We already know that the recent westros had wardens, and a prince in dorne. Then we get Dany saying Iron Islands can have their independence if the stop reaving. Clearly it is very possible that there is a untied westros but separate regional responsible rulers

« Reply #968 on: June 27, 2016, 02:11:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

We already know that the recent westros had wardens, and a prince in dorne. Then we get Dany saying Iron Islands can have their independence if the stop reaving. Clearly it is very possible that there is a untied westros but separate regional responsible rulers
Anything is possible, maybe Cersei ends on the Thrown, but I just don't see the kingdoms separating.  I think they are all united under one ruler.  Sure there will be Wardens and Separate rulers, but that is going to be much more like a Governor than a President.  At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if the seven kingdoms weren't all being ruled by a Targaryen.  I mean just look at them right now

North - Jon
Mountain/Vale - Jon (this is Littlefinger who has pledged to Jon/Sansa)
Isles/Rivers - Lannister (this is the Frey's who have pledged to Lannister - The Iron Islands are in here and have pledged to Dany)
Rock - Lannister (this is the Lannister home)
Stormlands - Lannister (went to Lannisters when Renly died)
Reach - Targaryen (this is the Olenna Tyrell who has pledged to Dany)
Dorne - Targaryen (this is the Sand Snacks who have pledged to Dany)

So if as presumed Dany conquers the South and Jon retakes Riverrun and the Twins from the Frey's to complete the North.  Then if as many predict Jon and Dany get married you have a fully reunited kingdom.  I can't see the Iron Islands not being a part of that since they are just a part of one of the kingdoms anyway. 

« Reply #969 on: June 27, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It seems that in their effort to cram as much as they can in S6, Benioff and Weiss have completely and unapologetically warped the concepts of time and space.

Varys and Arya seem to teleport themselves between distant locations at will (and, seemingly, instantly). At the same time, Jamie is sitting at the Crossing, completely oblivious to the fact that the Warden of the North has been killed, and Jon Snow holds Winterfell. Meanwhile at said Winterfell, the entire North has materialized seemingly overnight. At the end of the day, we get the sense that a whole lot of stuff has happened, seemingly all in a couple of days.

Maybe this is great TV, but it is horrible storytelling.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #970 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man if only they just showed a silly montage indicating passage of time. That'd be much better TV.

« Reply #971 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
It seems that in their effort to cram as much as they can in S6, Benioff and Weiss have completely and unapologetically warped the concepts of time and space.

Varys and Arya seem to teleport themselves between distant locations at will (and, seemingly, instantly). At the same time, Jamie is sitting at the Crossing, completely oblivious to the fact that the Warden of the North has been killed, and Jon Snow holds Winterfell. Meanwhile at said Winterfell, the entire North has materialized seemingly overnight. At the end of the day, we get the sense that a whole lot of stuff has happened, seemingly all in a couple of days.

Haha yeah. I was wondering how it took Varys several episodes to reach Dorne in the first place, but he happened to travel from Dorne all the way back to Mereen in the same episode within minutes. That's been a general flaw with this show in trying to do too much, especially in the later episodes of the season.

« Reply #972 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It is apparent from the books that things don't happen chronologically.  If they did you would go far too much time between certain characters and others would be focused on for large portions of time, which would make the show much more boring and strange.

« Reply #973 on: June 27, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It is apparent from the books that things don't happen chronologically.  If they did you would go far too much time between certain characters and others would be focused on for large portions of time, which would make the show much more boring and strange.
Maybe, but I didn't have this profound sense of time warp before S6. Maybe it's just me.

Also, perhaps we should take spoilers from the War of the Roses? That ended when a Lancaster noble married the heiress of the York family. So based on this, we should expect Tyrion and Sansa, eh?

For those who missed the background story, the Lannisters and the Starks were (kind of) modeled after Lancaster and York.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #974 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe, but I didn't have this profound sense of time warp before S6. Maybe it's just me.

Also, perhaps we should take spoilers from the War of the Roses? That ended when a Lancaster noble married the heiress of the York family. So based on this, we should expect Tyrion and Sansa, eh?

For those who missed the background story, the Lannisters and the Starks were (kind of) modeled after Lancaster and York.
There are things before S6 where the timing is off as well, though there weren't as many storylines so it may be a bit more compounded here.  And basically anything that happens across the sea has no timing connection to anything that happens in Westeros.  So Arya's entire story line and even Dany really has no relation to the events in Westeros (other than when Westerosi show up across the sea).