Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413194 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #690 on: December 03, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Trailer tease for Season 6!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxI8aPISq8I
I'm soooo pumped. I am sad that the book probably isn't coming out before the show though.

I've mostly forgotten there's even a book series.  If another book ever comes out it'll be a pleasant surprise.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #691 on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'm soooo pumped. I am sad that the book probably isn't coming out before the show though.

Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see how they handle that, given that this year's season will get into territory that the books haven't been yet.

I heard a rumor from some online Spanish source that the book was set for publication in 2016 sometime. I'll try to find the link.

« Reply #692 on: December 03, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I've mostly forgotten there's even a book series.  If another book ever comes out it'll be a pleasant surprise.

I'm the same way. At this point, it almost seems that the show has made the books irrelevant, given how slow they are to come out and their increasingly diverging plots.

« Reply #693 on: December 03, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm pretty pumped myself.  I just read the first book (I've seen the whole series on TV up to this point).  I have to give HBO some credit on the whole Jon Snow is dead masquerade.   But another big lie of the series is that it kills of main characters; they simply just killed off some characters that people thought were main characters. 

But truth be told, in the books Martin doesn't really even try to hide it that much.  Granted, I have an MA in English, teacher literature for a living, and was reading the books with the hindsight of 20/20, but a number of apparent surprises are heavily foreshadowed.  Martin consistently hints in the book that Ned Stark is way too uncompromosing of a figure to ever survive in King's Landing.  Rob is never really seen as that much of a main character (making the Red Wedding not all that shocking).  And it's pretty clear even in the first book that the three most important characters are Jon, Dany, and Tyrion.  He even pretty heavily foreshadows that Jon is really the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. 

« Reply #694 on: December 03, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see how they handle that, given that this year's season will get into territory that the books haven't been yet.

I heard a rumor from some online Spanish source that the book was set for publication in 2016 sometime. I'll try to find the link.
Martin said he's given them general direction of the story, but the understanding is that the movies and the books will be to separate takes -- and thus are expected to differ.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #695 on: December 30, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Speculation by many is that HBO moved back the premiere of the show by a month or so so that the book could come out first.

This article was posted earlier, but I think it is worth posting again.  It is a letter before the first book was written which outlines Martin's idea.  A lot has changed since then, but it does give an idea as to his initial direction for the story and thought process.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/02/05/george-rr-martin-original-game-of-thrones-pitch/
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #696 on: December 30, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Speculation by many is that HBO moved back the premiere of the show by a month or so so that the book could come out first.

This article was posted earlier, but I think it is worth posting again.  It is a letter before the first book was written which outlines Martin's idea.  A lot has changed since then, but it does give an idea as to his initial direction for the story and thought process.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/02/05/george-rr-martin-original-game-of-thrones-pitch/
Good. I was a book reader first and it will take away some of my enjoyment of reading the book if the show comes out first.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #697 on: December 30, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Good. I was a book reader first and it will take away some of my enjoyment of reading the book if the show comes out first.
Well, the book and the show are sort of separate now, so there's no telling how much one will spoil the other.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #698 on: January 23, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

« Reply #699 on: January 23, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Book should just come out after this season give show a chance to really separate itself. Maybe even get alternate story endings based on a few big choices changing from books. That would be a cool twist to both projects. Let the show do its thing as an alternate story but still with Martin's input. Then Martin can continue writing his books at his own pace, feeding off the shows ideas and fan reactions. It would help him write easier, faster and better. It would be great for HBO and Martin IMO

« Reply #700 on: April 15, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
saw an interesting theory about Jon Snow.

Obviously many think he is a Lynna and Rhaegar's son, and that he will ultimately become Azor Ahai.  The theory I saw goes that he is not resurrected by the Red Woman, but that when the Nights Watch burn his body, the fire resurrects him (much like Dany in the fire in the first season).  That is how Jon learns of his true parentage and the Red Woman witnesses it and realizes that Jon is Azor Ahai. 

« Reply #701 on: April 15, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I saw something similar but contrary to that theory, Moranis.

What I saw suggested that Jon Snow's body would be placed in the ice of the wall, preserving him, until at some point he is resurrected.

In this way Jon would be reborn via ice, whereas Dany was reborn by fire.  This would continue the notion that they are equal opposites that need to come together in order to bring the series to its conclusion (Ice & Fire).

The textual support for this was pretty sparse, but it mentioned a vision Dany has in the lair of the warlocks that showed a flower growing out of ice.

On the other hand, maybe Jon is fire in the same way Dany is fire -- both Targaryen -- and the Ice & Fire thing is all about the "fire" of the dragons versus the "ice" of the White Walkers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #702 on: April 15, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm pumped for the season.  What's the over-under on how many episodes until Jon Snow is resurrected?   

« Reply #703 on: April 15, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm pumped for the season.  What's the over-under on how many episodes until Jon Snow is resurrected?
If I were to set one I'd say 3.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #704 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think Jon gets resurrected in the first episode.  Can't see any reason to drag that out as they need to advance his storyline.