Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 415050 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've read all the books but after seeing last night's episode it makes me think. Has there ever been a protagonist family that so much bad happens to?

It is so bad that I doubt that they are even that important for the main story line by book 7.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It is so bad that I doubt that they are even that important for the main story line by book 7.

This is one of the more interesting things about this series. 

It covers such a broad group of characters and families, and really doesn't always make it 100% clear who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist.  It is just constantly evolving, which keeps it interesting. 

« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've read all the books but after seeing last night's episode it makes me think. Has there ever been a protagonist family that so much bad happens to?

considering certain characters in the family are still very strong in the series and others haven't been heard from in awhile (but are presumably alive), I would find that hard to believe.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

The good guys in Pillars of the Earth had a whole lot of bad stuff happen to them.
Yup

« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
That epic scene cant put me to sleep. I did not see that slaughter happened. Part of me almost cried when Talisa got stabbed right in the belly.

And Arya to be so close then realize what is really going on when she saw the dire wolf get bowed.

Oh my lord what a sad yet masterfully made episode.

I haven't read the books so no spoilers here just guesses...  but I think Arya is going to become a badass warrior some day.  Jaqen, the faceless man from Braavos, was probably my favorite character on the show.  He gave Arya an open invitation to come to Braavos, but she decided to find her brother and mother instead.  Now that that ship has sailed, I'm going to guess she gets her butt to Braavos for some badass training.  During her conversation with the Hound she talked about the faceless man.  When she told the Hound that someday she'd stab him through the eye out the back of his head... I believe her. 

What I'm wondering is though... if she does decide to go to Braavos, would they show her journey and training there?... or do you think she'll just venture to Braavos... then we will not see her for a few seasons and she'll make a surprise return some day in some epic fashion?  Can't wait to find out.  It's a great show.

Haven't read the books either. To me it's looking like Arya will become one of the Faceless "dudes" (i forgot their name). The way everyone is dying around her, it's just a matter of time before she loses that Stark honor and mercy and just starts killing cold blooded out of sheer revenge.

I agree, it's not a matter of if but when will Arya will go to Bravos and be one of them. And I hope you're right, they should show how Arya turns in this cold blooded, efficient assassin.

They have been setting it up since the first episode when Bran is learning how to shoot an arrow and Arya pops out of the school to show him up with her skills.  Then she's learning swordsmanship with her little needle sword from a guy, if I'm not mistaken, is from Braavos.  Yes, I just checked the non-spoiler wiki and it says, "Syrio Forel is a master sword-fighter, originally from the Free City of Braavos where he spent nine years as the First Sword of the city, before relocating to King's Landing. "  ... then she runs into the faceless man (Jaquen) from Braavos and tells her that when she is ready to come all she needs to do is from someone from Braavos and speak some special words...  Pretty clear she'll end up there.  And she'll be a total badass when she's done. 

But I wonder how the show will handle it.  Do they show her leaving from Braavos and then not show her for a couple years?  IN which case, her return could be at some dramatic moment... a surprise killing of JOffrey (or whoever).  And then I wonder... will she have the same face?  I get the impression the faceless men always have different faces.  If she returns... will it be the same actress?   Clearly that's a long way off, but I can't wait to see it play out.

« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

It covers such a broad group of characters and families, and really doesn't always make it 100% clear who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist.  It is just constantly evolving, which keeps it interesting.

I haven't read the books, but honestly I never got the impression Robb Stark was a main character.  He seemed far less important than Arya, Brann (who is apparently Professor X now) and of course, Jon Snow.  Really, I wasn't all that upset to see him go.  He was always so whiney.

I read a quote from G.R.R Martin where he explains why Robb Stark had to die.  He says that he wanted it to be unpredictable.  Everyone assumes Eddard is the hero and nobody expects him to die.   The next most predictable storyline would be for his son to avenge him... hence why Robb had to die.  I never got the impression he was a character that had to stick around.  They were really foreshadowing his death for a while now.

« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yeah when you first see Jamie Lannister he really seems to be one of those evil Prince Charming types... and despite the fact he starts the series pushing a kid to his (almost) death, he's become one of the most sympathetic characters in the show.  This is just as much Jamie Lannister's show as anyone at this point.

« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I haven't read the books, but honestly I never got the impression Robb Stark was a main character.  He seemed far less important than Arya, Brann

He was not, he was not a narrator character.  Hint the point of views ( narrators) are the important ones as I see it.

Keep in mind the prophecy of the land, which the series has only hinted at through Melisandre

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

and this

Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone

Melisandre thinks it is Stannis.   A lot of folk think this means Daeneyrs and some think it is Jon.   But the prophecy in the book implies a rebirth of some type.  Jon may well be a Targaryen as well.   Recall he is a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. but we never know the circumstances.  Some think  Rhaegar Targaryen is the father and Lyanna Stark was his mother and Ned raised him as his own.  That would make Daenyrs his aunt.

Rob never was a main character.   This is loosely based off the war or roses.   The Lancasters vs York was that fight here we have the Lannisters and Starks.  But all this war between the family is action that is not as important as the prophecy and the Others.

Whomever fulfills this is the most important character.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:32:32 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I read the books and I am still trying to figure out how they get everything done that is left in "Storm of Swords" in this season in one episode

« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nick, I have read that this season is split into two both cowering Storm of Swords.

http://hbowatch.com/george-r-r-martin-confirms-game-of-thrones-season-3-to-be-split-two-10-episode-seasons/

Check it out.

« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
While its very tragic, am I the only one here who thinks "Robb had this coming, and brought everyone he loves in to doom"?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I haven't read the books, but honestly I never got the impression Robb Stark was a main character.  He seemed far less important than Arya, Brann

He was not, he was not a narrator character.  Hint the point of views ( narrators) are the important ones as I see it.

Keep in mind the prophecy of the land, which the series has only hinted at through Melisandre

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

and this

Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone

Melisandre thinks it is Stannis.   A lot of folk think this means Daeneyrs and some think it is Jon.   But the prophecy in the book implies a rebirth of some type.  Jon may well be a Targaryen as well.   Recall he is a **** but we never know the circumstances.  Some think  Rhaegar Targaryen is the father and Lyanna Stark was his mother and Ned raised him as his own.  That would make Daenyrs his aunt.

Rob never was a main character.   This is loosely based off the war or roses.   The Lancasters vs York was that fight here we have the Lannisters and Starks.  But all this war between the family is action that is not as important as the prophecy and the Others.

Whomever fulfills this is the most important character.
That's interesting about Jon Snow.  I listened to a podcast with the show runners and they were talking about their first meeting with G.R.R Martin.  Martin wanted to test them on whether or not they were actually fans and had read the books... so his question to them was "Who is Jon Snow's real mother?"... apparently it was a bit of a trick question, because the books had not yet revealed who his real mother was... but they apparently guessed correctly based on some hunches.  So I've been aware that there is some mystery as to who his real mother is... and I had to assume it was a Targaryen otherwise it wouldn't be all that compelling.  But I hadn't considered the possibility that Eddard isn't his real father.  Interesting.  But that does make sense... I had read on the wiki that part of the lead-up to the rebellion was that Rhager Targaryen had abducted Eddard's sister. 

Probably don't say any more on that... seems like book spoiler territory.

« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
While its very tragic, am I the only one here who thinks "Robb had this coming, and brought everyone he loves in to doom"?
Nope.  One does not simply play the Game of Thrones with Tywin Lannister. 

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Robb Stark was immature and young and was playing the Game of Thrones versus an expert, Tywin Lannister. When you step back and look at the situation, I think it is easier to say that Robb just made mistakes that youth make, not that he deserved what happened.

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
unbelievable episode