Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 416242 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2013, 01:18:51 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Anybody watch episode 4?

Amazing. Utterly Amazing.

Dany would look good in a Celtics jersey.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:59 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Anybody watch episode 4?

Yup it was awesome.  Totally predictable, but awesome.  It would have been less predictable had we not already seen how she handled the Warlock guy last season. Still... it was everything you could have wanted from that scene :)

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Anybody watch episode 4?

Yup it was awesome.  Totally predictable, but awesome.  It would have been less predictable had we not already seen how she handled the Warlock guy last season. Still... it was everything you could have wanted from that scene :)
It is also almost exactly as it transpired in the book, but even still I thought it was a very powerful scene.  The unsullied with the banging of their staffs was awesome.  You could just feel the energy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Anybody watch episode 4?

It is also almost exactly as it transpired in the book, but even still I thought it was a very powerful scene.  The unsullied with the banging of their staffs was awesome.  You could just feel the energy.

Yup. I was giggling and cheering Dany on like it was a Celtics game! That very last scene where they're marching w/ the dragons flying was very well done.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Building up to the season's climax.  I think it might be the next episode with 1 after to close the season out.

Also, the Sansa/Tryion wedding last night was so well acted, just totally amazing.  You just really feel for Sansa.  She is so good and really matched the Imp in the scene (which is hard to do).

« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Game Of Thrones is the heart-breaking overtime loss by the underdog of books/TV shows.

Everytime you start to root for a character/think the over-arching plot is actually going somewhere, they die/it doesn't.

I'm actually a little bitter that GoT is so critically acclaimed and widely watched. Screw George RR Martin and his 'homeless Santa' beard.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Am I the only one here who wants to beat the heck out of Joffrey?

I'm glad Tyrion embarrassed "the King" in front of everyone in the little brat couldn't do nothing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I'm glad Tyrion embarrassed "the King" in front of everyone in the little brat couldn't do nothing.

You should watch this:

http://www.cracked.com/video_18578_why-being-writer-game-thrones-must-suck.html

« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The question is: would you like for him to share the fate of Theon Greyjoy?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Game Of Thrones is the heart-breaking overtime loss by the underdog of books/TV shows.

Everytime you start to root for a character/think the over-arching plot is actually going somewhere, they die/it doesn't.

I'm actually a little bitter that GoT is so critically acclaimed and widely watched. Screw George RR Martin and his 'homeless Santa' beard.

I haven't read the books but my understanding is the big metatheme is deconstructing the common tropes of fantasy writing.  Hence all the badasses laid low in the most mundane ways, buildups to epic confrontations that fall apart or take an unexpected turn, and "good guys" who really are just a different shade of gray than the "villains". 

For what it is, I like it a lot.  The characters feel more like humans than one-note archetypes, and it's very hard to tell what's going to happen next, except for a few telegraphed events like Danaerys torching the slavers and the major characters I think are going to die very soon (not a book reader, but the signs are so clear to me that I don't want to name names).

« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

ABSOLUTELY! It should be in front of every person in Kings Landing too. He started a war, killed the butcher's killed (or have him killed), treated Sansa like some dirt, not to mention having her watch her dad get beheaded and look at his head on a spike after. Outside of everything else, and he's not even Baratheon blood. He's no king.

I would pay to see that.

On a side note, that kid Jack Gleeson, heck of an actor.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I haven't read the books but my understanding is the big metatheme is deconstructing the common tropes of fantasy writing.  Hence all the badasses laid low in the most mundane ways, buildups to epic confrontations that fall apart or take an unexpected turn, and "good guys" who really are just a different shade of gray than the "villains". 

For what it is, I like it a lot.  The characters feel more like humans than one-note archetypes, and it's very hard to tell what's going to happen next, except for a few telegraphed events like Danaerys torching the slavers and the major characters I think are going to die very soon (not a book reader, but the signs are so clear to me that I don't want to name names).
The books are excellent.  You really should read them.  And I'd be curious who you think is going to die soon.  Private message who you think it is.  I won't tell you if you are right or not, I'm just curious.

« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

i`d like to see George R. R. Martin sharing the same fate... (kidding)

I want the 6th book NOW !

« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The thing about GoT (or more aptly A Song Of Ice and Fire, the books..the TV show has Peter Dinklage and I can't get mad at him) is that the whole idea of the 'meta deconstruction' by killing off major characters spontaneously, or having large moments occur spontaneously (the death of ___ ____ at the end of the most recent book is a great example of this, or the death of ____ _________ by his ___ while he escapes after _____ _______) or the moral apathy of _____ _________'s actions the closer he gets to his eventual goal are great examples of flying in the face of traditional fantasy. It's absolutely a valid observation of the works.

But, because of that pattern, there is no central story. You start out the very first book with the white walkers. You start out the second book with the white walkers. White walkers happen sporadically throughout the rest of the books. Guess what we know about the white walkers after 4300 pages or, in my case, over 200 hours of audiobooks? Nothing! We know nothing, Jon Snow!

But meanwhile, all this other crap is going on that ultimately amounts to nothing more than B-stories when there isn't an A-story. And that's not all bad, it happens in a lot of series. Robert Jordan's life's work the Wheel Of Time series has that stuff happen fairly frequently.

But the nagging feeling you'll get if you read the books and, like me, tend to critique what you're reading as often as you enjoy reading it, all the 'meta' garbage is really just a facade to get you to read an elongated novelization of All My Children, with dragons and swords, and gratuitous sex scenes. Its guy-soaps (which is unfair to the women who also love these books..its fantasy-nerd-soaps)

It would be like if you were to write a series of books, with a strong male protagonist and multiple strong female protagonists. None of them are your barbie-doll types, they're intelligent, self-aware, and they all happen to be maddeningly in love with the male protagonist. Also, there is magic and blood and sex and stuff.

And people would say, 'wow! look at how deftly he shrugged the 'guy meets girl' paradigm, look how he defies the barbie doll female archtype!'

But you know its just a glorified harem.

« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The books just fall apart after the third novel, no longer enjoyable to read anymore. Much better for me to just read the wiki on what's happening because the words on the page become a massive chore even for me as an avid reader.

Quantity of words and characters goes up, quality of writing goes to nothing.