Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413077 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1200 on: August 27, 2017, 11:38:57 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Where'd the giant chains come from? And who hooked them to the dragon?

They keep them around just in case.  You never know when you might need them. Like Sam's rope in LOTR.

Or the rope that the brothers got in Boondock Saints!! ;D

« Reply #1201 on: August 28, 2017, 12:53:21 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Sad to see little finger go. If there were awards, he could win Most Improved Player and MVP in my book lol

But yeah, the story has evolved past him.
- LilRip

« Reply #1202 on: August 28, 2017, 01:02:38 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The problem with the Sansa/Arya twist is the scene where Sansa snuck into Arya's room.  If they were conspiring together, there was no reason to have a confrontation behind closed doors with nobody else in the room. 

Thought it was funny when Cersei called Jamie the stupidest Lannister.  Although I think Tyrion is giving him a good run for the title.  How many more times can his advice be wrong before Dany changes his position to court jester? 

« Reply #1203 on: August 28, 2017, 08:37:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The problem with the Sansa/Arya twist is the scene where Sansa snuck into Arya's room.  If they were conspiring together, there was no reason to have a confrontation behind closed doors with nobody else in the room. 

Thought it was funny when Cersei called Jamie the stupidest Lannister.  Although I think Tyrion is giving him a good run for the title.  How many more times can his advice be wrong before Dany changes his position to court jester?
Cersei's plan won't work.  Jamie was right, whoever wins in the North will march South and wipe her out.  Her only shot was one of unity, especially if she stayed behind and Jon and Dany both died in the fight with the dead.  She could have then taken the position, that I'm sorry they died defending us, but we lost a lot of good men as well.  I did right by the kingdom, bend the knee.  Her tactic will only serve to get her wiped out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1204 on: August 28, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Not really. I'm under the impression that the confrontation was real and it was after Sansa spoke to Littlefinger at the beginning of this episode that she realized what he was scheming. That's why she told him, "I'm a slow learner. it's true. But I do learn" during the trial. So after that meeting, where Littlefinger tried to plant the idea that Arya wanted to kill her, is when Sansa realized it and where she made amends (off-camera) with Arya.

« Reply #1205 on: August 28, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Not really. I'm under the impression that the confrontation was real and it was after Sansa spoke to Littlefinger at the beginning of this episode that she realized what he was scheming. That's why she told him, "I'm a slow learner. it's true. But I do learn" during he trial. So after that meeting, where Littlefinger tried to plant the idea that Arya wanted to kill her, is when Sansa realized it and where she made amends (off-camera) with Arya.
they were always playing Littlefinger.  One of two things happened in the room.  They either believed that Littlefinger was somehow spying on them or Sansa was actually surprised to find the faces and was caught off guard.  It was clear they were never really at each other's throats though as if they were there is no way Arya gives Sansa the knife.  It was also pretty clear that at some point they had some pretty meaningful discussions with Bran because much of what they accused Littlefinger of only Bran would know through visions.  I think they delayed his death a bit to make sure they knew exactly what he was planning and to make sure they had enough solid evidence to make it stick with those from the Veil and the other northern lords.  You can't just kill the Lord Protector of the Veil and the man whose forces led to the victory over the Boltons without some real solid evidence. 

« Reply #1206 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Maybe the most unbelievable part of the episode was Littlefinger willingly confessing to anything in that setting.

Fun ep, though still kinda predictable, minus that scene.

« Reply #1207 on: August 28, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Cersei's plan won't work.  Jamie was right, whoever wins in the North will march South and wipe her out.  Her only shot was one of unity, especially if she stayed behind and Jon and Dany both died in the fight with the dead.  She could have then taken the position, that I'm sorry they died defending us, but we lost a lot of good men as well.  I did right by the kingdom, bend the knee.  Her tactic will only serve to get her wiped out.
Of course it won't because this is a show and they're not going to let Cersei win in the end.  The fans of the show would hate that.  The Night King will be defeated.  Theon and the Hound will get their redemption even if they end up dying doing it.  Cersei will be defeated.  Only question is how.  My guess is Jamie dies valiantly in battle.  Arya takes his face and kills Cersei.  The only real question is what happens between Jon and Dany.  I suspect that will be addressed by her becoming pregnant. 

Unity and hoping Jon and Dany die in the fighting is not a plan for victory.  If Jon and Dany die, the dead most likely would have won.  Letting your two enemies fight each other while you build up your forces is a good plan. 

Cersei correctly surmised that one of the dragons is dead.  If one dragon can die so can the others.  Without the dragons, Jon and Dany's forces are very beatable.  There were only 8000 Unsullied to start and at least 1000 should already be dead from fighting.  Robb Stark's northern army only had 20K men and they were pretty much wiped out.  The Dothraki are impressive but they aren't made for conducting sieges.  If Jon and Dany defeat the dead, their forces will be significantly depleted. 

Meanwhile Cersei is rebuilding her forces.  20k Gold Company mercenaries are on the way.  Euron controls the seas.  More ballista can be made.  More wildfire can be produced.  The way Qyburn was looking at the dead remains, I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei has her own dead (or half-dead) army.

« Reply #1208 on: August 28, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Of course it won't because this is a show and they're not going to let Cersei win in the end.  The fans of the show would hate that.  The Night King will be defeated.  Theon and the Hound will get their redemption even if they end up dying doing it.  Cersei will be defeated.  Only question is how.  My guess is Jamie dies valiantly in battle.  Arya takes his face and kills Cersei.  The only real question is what happens between Jon and Dany.  I suspect that will be addressed by her becoming pregnant. 

Unity and hoping Jon and Dany die in the fighting is not a plan for victory.  If Jon and Dany die, the dead most likely would have won.  Letting your two enemies fight each other while you build up your forces is a good plan. 

Cersei correctly surmised that one of the dragons is dead.  If one dragon can die so can the others.  Without the dragons, Jon and Dany's forces are very beatable.  There were only 8000 Unsullied to start and at least 1000 should already be dead from fighting.  Robb Stark's northern army only had 20K men and they were pretty much wiped out.  The Dothraki are impressive but they aren't made for conducting sieges.  If Jon and Dany defeat the dead, their forces will be significantly depleted. 

Meanwhile Cersei is rebuilding her forces.  20k Gold Company mercenaries are on the way.  Euron controls the seas.  More ballista can be made.  More wildfire can be produced.  The way Qyburn was looking at the dead remains, I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei has her own dead (or half-dead) army.
They can't defeat the Night King without the dragons.  Thus at least 1 dragon will survive the fighting.  Cersei also just isn't likeable.  The people won't be on her side, which will eventually lead to her downfall.  You can't keep power for long if no one wants you to.  She is taking a position that will lead to the other side being the one the people back (unless it is the army of the dead).  If they see any crack in the shield, they will bolt to Jon/Dany, especially as the whispers of Cersei's betrayal become louder and louder. 

« Reply #1209 on: August 28, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Not really. I'm under the impression that the confrontation was real and it was after Sansa spoke to Littlefinger at the beginning of this episode that she realized what he was scheming. That's why she told him, "I'm a slow learner. it's true. But I do learn" during he trial. So after that meeting, where Littlefinger tried to plant the idea that Arya wanted to kill her, is when Sansa realized it and where she made amends (off-camera) with Arya.
they were always playing Littlefinger.  One of two things happened in the room.  They either believed that Littlefinger was somehow spying on them or Sansa was actually surprised to find the faces and was caught off guard.  It was clear they were never really at each other's throats though as if they were there is no way Arya gives Sansa the knife.  It was also pretty clear that at some point they had some pretty meaningful discussions with Bran because much of what they accused Littlefinger of only Bran would know through visions.  I think they delayed his death a bit to make sure they knew exactly what he was planning and to make sure they had enough solid evidence to make it stick with those from the Veil and the other northern lords.  You can't just kill the Lord Protector of the Veil and the man whose forces led to the victory over the Boltons without some real solid evidence.
Yes, the implication is that they were plotting against Littlefinger all along.  That's why the scene in the closed room with no one else around doesn't make sense.  How would Littlefinger have been spying on them?  Winterfell isn't a place of spyholes.  Sansa and Arya were speaking normally not shouting so no one would have been able to hear anything outside the room.  Even if Sansa was surprised by the faces, Arya wouldn't threaten to cut off Sansa's face and leave the room glaring at her. 

« Reply #1210 on: August 28, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I'm torn on season 7. On one hand, it's great to finally see the storylines converge and the focus shift towards the real conflict, but on the other hand, this whole season feels a lot more "TV-ish".

So much fan-service, so much plot armor. I'm not sure why they needed to cut the number of episodes to seven if they then go and rush through most of the content. The series is still great, but this season didnt't feel nearly as good as previous ones.

On the bright side, I'm 100% sure the final two books will be a lot different to the show. So much stuff we see now just doesn't make any sense in the context of the books.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #1211 on: August 28, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm torn on season 7. On one hand, it's great to finally see the storylines converge and the focus shift towards the real conflict, but on the other hand, this whole season feels a lot more "TV-ish".

So much fan-service, so much plot armor. I'm not sure why they needed to cut the number of episodes to seven if they then go and rush through most of the content. The series is still great, but this season didnt't feel nearly as good as previous ones.

On the bright side, I'm 100% sure the final two books will be a lot different to the show. So much stuff we see now just doesn't make any sense in the context of the books.
Budget, I imagine?

I found most of this season disappointingly predictable for the most part. That, and some rather illogical escapades by some of the main characters were a major letdown.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1212 on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Yes, the implication is that they were plotting against Littlefinger all along.  That's why the scene in the closed room with no one else around doesn't make sense.  How would Littlefinger have been spying on them?  Winterfell isn't a place of spyholes.  Sansa and Arya were speaking normally not shouting so no one would have been able to hear anything outside the room.  Even if Sansa was surprised by the faces, Arya wouldn't threaten to cut off Sansa's face and leave the room glaring at her.

I don't think they were plotting against Littlefinger all along.  I think Sansa was suspect of everyone and wanted to learn as much as she could.

The scene that I think made up her mind was earlier in this final episode.  Littelfinger helped Sansa to imagine "the worst", which was Arya killing Sansa.  But what was the only motivation that Sansa could come up with for that?... Arya to become lady of winterfell.  This was the checkmate because Sansa knows that the last thing Arya has ever wanted to be was "a lady" of anything.  Therefore, she Arya had no motivation in seeing Sansa dead.

« Reply #1213 on: August 28, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The scene that I think made up her mind was earlier in this final episode.  Littelfinger helped Sansa to imagine "the worst", which was Arya killing Sansa.  But what was the only motivation that Sansa could come up with for that?... Arya to become lady of winterfell.  This was the checkmate because Sansa knows that the last thing Arya has ever wanted to be was "a lady" of anything.  Therefore, she Arya had no motivation in seeing Sansa dead.
Yup, this point had been hammered in nicely early on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E75i0dNnTs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1214 on: August 28, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think they were plotting against Littlefinger all along.  I think Sansa was suspect of everyone and wanted to learn as much as she could.

Yeah Sansa obviously didn't trust Littlefinger after sending her off to be abused by Ramsay, but I don't think she really turned on him to the point of execution until recently.

The scene you mention is a good turning point but it also seems like they'd been getting info  off-camera from Bran. His superpower of owning the Blu-Rays came in very handy.