Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 415268 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1020 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Too slow of an episode for a season that has just 6 episodes left and just 12 left in the entire series.

Yeah I thought there'd be some kind of a big event to kick things off, or at least one would be imminent. Thought it'd be the Night King getting to or past the Wall. Dany getting to the furthest part of Westeros is fine, and definitely long-awaited, but not a great closer to an opening episode this late in the game.

Oh well, I'm already invested at this point, hope the pace picks up this week.

« Reply #1021 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Too slow of an episode for a season that has just 6 episodes left and just 12 left in the entire series.
have to agree.  they're on a self-imposed short timeline for the series.  The story/plot needs to move at a quicker pace so they're not cramming in too much at the end.
this was a necessary "set up" episode

it moved at the right pace

a LOT of stuff happened if you look deep enough

so much is being set up
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1022 on: July 19, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sam's scene imho was perfect ... it showed in a few secs how bad things are going for him and prepared us for a Sam-Mormond story
The pot scene? Unnecessarily long. I think we got the point pretty early on, there was no point to have the same thing on loop for another half a minute...
Yep and Sam's discomfort has absolutely nothing to do with the overall story and why he is where he is at.  The other Sam scenes were fine. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1023 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
have to agree.  they're on a self-imposed short timeline for the series.  The story/plot needs to move at a quicker pace so they're not cramming in too much at the end.

so much is being set up
but a lot of stuff didn't really happen.  It set up a lot of future stuff happening, but not much really happened.  There was probably 10 minutes of stuff that should have been eliminated and replaced with more relevant stuff. 

« Reply #1024 on: July 19, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

so much is being set up
but a lot of stuff didn't really happen.  It set up a lot of future stuff happening, but not much really happened.  There was probably 10 minutes of stuff that should have been eliminated and replaced with more relevant stuff.

Potential Spoilers Below:

I mean, that's the show's MO, though. The first episode is always a pretty general "setting things up" episode, and the final episode of the series usually is crammed full of storylines and/or cliffhangers. It's usually the 2nd episode (e.g. Joffrey's murder, Jon's resurrection) and the second to last episode of the season (e.g. Ned's death, Battle of the ****s, etc.) where most of the big action and surprises occur.

« Reply #1025 on: July 19, 2017, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The little character beats and dialogues have been some of the best parts of the show, so I don't necessarily want them all replaced with spectacle and big plot events, but a little more spectacle mixed in would've been nice.

It's the ratio, not the content, for me at least.

« Reply #1026 on: July 19, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am not sure whether I'd say a lot of (relevant/necessary) stuff happened or not. But I didn't feel the episode was particularly memorable. It was somewhat bland, given my expectations about the show... predictable, if you wish. Hopefully there's better stuff ahead.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1027 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

so much is being set up

I mean, that's the show's MO, though. The first episode is always a pretty general "setting things up" episode, and the final episode of the series usually is crammed full of storylines and/or cliffhangers. It's usually the 2nd episode (e.g. Joffrey's murder, Jon's resurrection) and the second to last episode of the season (e.g. Ned's death, Battle of the ****s, etc.) where most of the big action and surprises occur.
Sure and in prior seasons when they had 10 episodes they could get away with that, but this season is 7 episodes and next season is only 6.  There just isn't enough time for them to dilly dally around. 

« Reply #1028 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

so much is being set up

Sure and in prior seasons when they had 10 episodes they could get away with that, but this season is 7 episodes and next season is only 6.  There just isn't enough time for them to dilly dally around.
although there are fewer episodes, they're all probably going to be longer

i assume they don't want to "force it"

there's going to be PLENTY of action/plot happening

it's going to pick up pretty fast
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1029 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

so much is being set up

although there are fewer episodes, they're all probably going to be longer

i assume they don't want to "force it"

there's going to be PLENTY of action/plot happening

it's going to pick up pretty fast
Sure, but I like some of the slow moments and don't really like non-stop action from start to finish (even if it is different scenes).  It just seemed like to me they needlessly wasted some time and put in a lot of powerful slower scenes, which I just think would be better served in later episodes.  Hopefully they can maintain the right mix of fast and slow, but there are going to be a lot of different high octane scenes this season and it is a short season.  I just don't want to feel like I'm watching a non-stop action movie and miss out on the high drama stuff that makes Game of Thrones so good because they are running out of time and have a lot to do. 

« Reply #1030 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1031 on: July 23, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Invisible Hand of the King

;D ;D ;D

Yeah, Reason always puts out good content. This one and the Star Trek one are particularly witty.

I loved the TSA bit and the "words" bit.

"House: Democrat. Words: 'It was Russia's fault.' No. 'There's always a victim.'"

"House: Republican. Words: 'Hold my beer.' No. 'War, Walls, and Bibles?' No. '9/11.'"

Lol

« Reply #1032 on: July 23, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Sansa is going to screw things up in the North with Littlefinger, isn't she?

« Reply #1033 on: July 23, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Sansa is going to screw things up in the North with Littlefinger, isn't she?

It was a short-lived "things are looking up" for the good guys.
Yup

« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:59 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Whether it be 7 episodes or 10, the unsteady pacing and decreasing quality of dialogue has been consistent since the start of last season. I'm afraid this is what we have to expect for the rest of the series as they wrap things up.