Author Topic: If there is an NBA lockout, NCAA wins  (Read 5854 times)

If there is an NBA lockout, NCAA wins
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:29:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
NCAA will get the chance to retain more of the top players for a 2nd year if the NBA locks out.  Two years for players to develop.  Two years to try and win with the top talent. 

Makes next year interesting. 

If nothing else, it will change the first draft after the lockout.  It might be the most talented (depth wise) in a couple of years. 

Re: If there is an NBA lockout, NCAA wins
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think just the prospect of a lockout will keep a lot of early entry guys in school. 

Conversely though, if there's an NFL lockout, the NBA wins.  Which is one of the big reasons why I hope the NBA can straighten things out ASAP.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I suppose it'll depend on when it is known if a lockout is certain by the time these guys need to declare themselves eligible for the draft. 

If guys do stay in college an extra year, I think Kentucky will benefit the most, as they'd have the most defections of freshmen again.  By next year they will have had the number one recruiting class three years in a row.  They'll be phenomenal next year if this happens.  Obviously the Wall class exited, but they'd have two consecutive number one classes playing together.

Duke would be awfully good if this happened too, as they could pair Kyrie Irving with Austin Rivers.  Wow, what a backcourt.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This is a great point. I bet the lockout talk will scare a lot of players into staying for a second year and rightfully so. The one and done rule is a terrible rule that really screws up colleges plans. They spend so much time and recruitment money to bring in these certain players, change their entire culture for a year, only to see it come crashing down and starting from the bottom again the following year. Its pretty tragic. The NBA should be promoting education and requiring athletes to go to school for four years.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is a great point. I bet the lockout talk will scare a lot of players into staying for a second year and rightfully so. The one and done rule is a terrible rule that really screws up colleges plans. They spend so much time and recruitment money to bring in these certain players, change their entire culture for a year, only to see it come crashing down and starting from the bottom again the following year. Its pretty tragic. The NBA should be promoting education and requiring athletes to go to school for four years.

They should be promoting skill learning and demand extra scouting time.  Three years after they graduate HS would work.  (even if they go overseas)  I also think the NBDL should not have the same age restrictions.  Players should be allowed to play there if there is space available, but would have to go through the draft process when the three years post HS hits. 

The actual degree the NBA players earn isn't important to the teams drafting them.  (though it is a benefit to the players)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
As a huge NCAA fan, I would love it.  I also think with just people talking lock out that a lot of people will stay in school.  It would also help the NBA out in terms of these guys coming in and making an impact.  For every freshman stud coming in and making an impact you have 3-4 who take a few years to really get it.  Another year of school will help these kids be more prepared for the league.  Obviously a lock out would be bad overall for the league, but the 2012 draft should be one of the deeper drafts in a while.  Stock up on picks Danny!
do it

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The colleges waste recruitment money? Are you kidding me?

The return on investment is ridiculous. The problem isn't one and done. The problem is that college sports have become a cash cow instead of education.

The NBA should not care about promoting education when the NCAA itself doesn't care. The NBA should care about getting better players. This does not require college. Look at Jennings, never mind all the Euros who play professionally at a young age.

We don't force plumbers to go to college, why force basketball players? How does that make any sense?

I agree that a lot of players will stay for a second year since they are too young to give up a year of competitive basketball. I can also see some going abroad for a season if they need the money. Some people need to earn their keep and can't afford a year chillin' on campus for free (which is what they are essentially doing if they aren't planning on finishing their degree anyway).

I expect a lot of fans like myself will just not watch basketball until the NBA returns or until the NCAA tourney. College basketball just bores me. 2 lockouts is good news for Netflix.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
I expect a lot of fans like myself will just not watch basketball until the NBA returns or until the NCAA tourney. College basketball just bores me.

I agree with the OP's title.  It's a big win for the NCAA if the lockout happens.  Those who didn't like NCAA BB in the first place will not watch, much like they already don't watch.  But I'd wager that the NCAA viewership will go up... by a lot.  The combination of no NBA, and improved NCAA ball because of all the players who would've been gone to the NBA remaining in college, will bring on a lot more viewers.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:53:48 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I expect a lot of fans like myself will just not watch basketball until the NBA returns or until the NCAA tourney. College basketball just bores me.

I agree with the OP's title.  It's a big win for the NCAA if the lockout happens.  Those who didn't like NCAA BB in the first place will not watch, much like they already don't watch.  But I'd wager that the NCAA viewership will go up... by a lot.  The combination of no NBA, and improved NCAA ball because of all the players who would've been gone to the NBA remaining in college, will bring on a lot more viewers.

Honestly, I doubt many NBA fans would be willing to accept college basketball as an alternative to watching basketball played at the professional level. I think instead many NBA fans might start watching European leagues as many college-level basketball players might want to go overseas to pursue a a professional basketball career.

The NCAA tournament is a single-elimination bracket format tournament in which all athletes aren't receiving a paid salary so you could never expect the game to replicate anything close to a playoff-system in a professional basketball league.

Some people enjoy the college aspect of the game because they dislike the NBA's pacing, individual playing-style, they may feel NBA players get paid too much, they like the longer shot-clock, etc. so there still may be a good chance that more people could be drawn to college basketball if the NBA had a lock-out, however that is still only relative to the sport of basketball as a whole.

Remember, not every great basketball player in the NBA went to college; in fact, some of the more prominent players in today's league made the jump from high school straight into the NBA, so that alone should tell you that college ball might not be as relevant as NCAA basketball fans want you to believe.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't remember the lockout in 1998/99 stopping college players from declaring for the draft.

I would be surprised if any of the top players decided to stay in college due to the lockout.

Maybe further down the draft ... possibly ... but not at the top.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
Honestly, I doubt many NBA fans would be willing to accept college basketball as an alternative to watching basketball played at the professional level. I think instead many NBA fans might start watching European leagues as many college-level basketball players might want to go overseas to pursue a a professional basketball career.

Maybe that's the case, but I really doubt it.  I have plenty of opportunity to watch Euroleague stuff and have zero interest in it.  I might if some of our young guys went there though, but Jennings was a rare exception going over there.  Most of our great young players go to college.  Besides, I really enjoy a good college game too.

The NCAA tournament is a single-elimination bracket format tournament in which all athletes aren't receiving a paid salary so you could never expect the game to replicate anything close to a playoff-system in a professional basketball league.

Well, I love the NCAA tournament.  Obviously the teams aren't as good as NBA teams, but it's where the NBA gets its players from, and it's really entertaining.  Every bit as dramatic as NBA stuff.  That said, my first allegiance is the Celtics.  Just saying, I love the tourney too, but different strokes.

Some people enjoy the college aspect of the game because they dislike the NBA's pacing, individual playing-style, they may feel NBA players get paid too much, they like the longer shot-clock, etc. so there still may be a good chance that more people could be drawn to college basketball if the NBA had a lock-out, however that is still only relative to the sport of basketball as a whole.

Personally, I enjoy NCAA BB for its own sake, and not because I dislike aspects of the NBA, and I'd much prefer watching it to Euroleague.  NBA v NCAA is not an either/or for me.  I like 'em both.

Remember, not every great basketball player in the NBA went to college; in fact, some of the more prominent players in today's league made the jump from high school straight into the NBA, so that alone should tell you that college ball might not be as relevant as NCAA basketball fans want you to believe.
The fact that some guys were good enough to make the jump from HS to the NBA says nothing about the NCAA's relevance.  It merely says that those guys were good enough to grab the cash before the eligibility rules changed.  The NCAA is a flat out cash cow.  The tourney, and particularly the final four draws an enormous viewership.  It's plenty relevant.  But like I said, I like 'em both, so it's not an either/or for me.  I recognize that there're probably a goodly number of NBA fans like yourself that don't much care for college ball, but just because that's true does not mean college ball is in any way irrelevant.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach

Maybe that's the case, but I really doubt it.  I have plenty of opportunity to watch Euroleague stuff and have zero interest in it.  I might if some of our young guys went there though, but Jennings was a rare exception going over there.  Most of our great young players go to college.  Besides, I really enjoy a good college game too.

Well, I love the NCAA tournament.  Obviously the teams aren't as good as NBA teams, but it's where the NBA gets its players from, and it's really entertaining.  Every bit as dramatic as NBA stuff.  That said, my first allegiance is the Celtics.  Just saying, I love the tourney too, but different strokes.

Personally, I enjoy NCAA BB for its own sake, and not because I dislike aspects of the NBA, and I'd much prefer watching it to Euroleague.  NBA v NCAA is not an either/or for me.  I like 'em both.

The fact that some guys were good enough to make the jump from HS to the NBA says nothing about the NCAA's relevance.  It merely says that those guys were good enough to grab the cash before the eligibility rules changed.  The NCAA is a flat out cash cow.  The tourney, and particularly the final four draws an enormous viewership.  It's plenty relevant.  But like I said, I like 'em both, so it's not an either/or for me.  I recognize that there're probably a goodly number of NBA fans like yourself that don't much care for college ball, but just because that's true does not mean college ball is in any way irrelevant.

As an fan of NBA basketball (primarily, though I do watch some of the NCAA tournament as well if I find one of the match-ups to be interesting for whatever reason) I can say with confidence that if the NBA were to be locked-out then I would have almost no reason to continue to watch basketball, whether at the collegiate or pro levels.

I mentioned the fact that college kids could chose to 'go-pro' overseas just as an alternative to staying in college if the NBA were to actually be locked-out following this season. I do not consider myself to be a huge fan of European basketball so I doubt I'd be more than a casual watcher, however for athletes who would like to pursue a career in basketball after school without being hindered by the fact that they can't participate in the NBA during their first season out of school European basketball might be the best option available to them if they wished to start making money immediately during a lock-out season in the 'States.

The main point that I was trying to make is that the quality of basketball games in the USA would be diminished if the NBA had to cancel a portion of the next season due to issues with the CBA, and then collegiate basketball fans expected college ball to sort of 'pick up the slack' that would be left by the absence of professional basketball.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:35:52 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, NCAA might even keep some players for another year.   With no league no draft that would be huge.