Author Topic: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox  (Read 28941 times)

Re: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Done deal according to Heyman and Edes.

Deal is done. A gon headed to #redsox. Press conf expected tomorrow 4 minutes ago via web

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Deal is done. A gon headed to #redsox. Press conf expected tomorrow 4 minutes ago via web

sweet.

they couldn't let this not happen
Yup

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

sweet.

they couldn't let this not happen

Agreed, good move opening up the checkbook sox :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Great News, and Theo is smart not to announce the extension until after opening day. Save a ton of money this year.

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
great! So now with Werth gone, do they get Crawford or keep Beltre, or neither?

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Crawford will end up getting his highest offer from the Angels.

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I think Crawford will end up getting his highest offer from the Angels.

that would be too bad, but the sox have to spend a lot of cash on the bullpen too, so I guess it would be ok. Hopefully they can still land Crawford or keep Beltre though

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
It seems that I was the lone voice of restrain on this board  in seeing this coming.  I applaud the Sox for not getting carried away.  They set it up so that they had a solid plan B in that they can sign Beltre.  That is smart negotiating.  It gave them leverage.  None of us know what the numbers are but chances are they were steep.

Unfortunately, AG has no reason to back down on his position (what ever it is).  He is happy to play in SD another year and he believes he will get everything he wants from someone in a year.  I guess there is some advantage to getting it done now but that is not all that much reason for him not to just wait.

This may not be over but I suspect it is.  They will now sign Beltre and trade for or sign an outfielder/relievers.

Looks like you were the lone voice in seeing nothing as Theo and the front office will bring him here and simply wait to announce the extension til after the season begins to save money. So much for the Beltre/Upton pinings.

Fact is the Sox really had no leverage; especially in light of the Werth signing. Boston's fanbase has been dwindling in interest. AGon is exactly the kind of impact bat this team needs and has been waiting for and the money should be of no consequence. They make plenty of money and plenty of contracts expire next year. This had to happen whether you wanna believe it or not. Beltre and Upton or random OF would not cut it. Beltre is not an option this fanbase would've accepted and everybody knows it.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Figured there was no way that the Sox would let this fall apart.  They couldn't face the PR nightmare. 

Good thing.  Now time to get some outfield help.

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
It seems that I was the lone voice of restrain on this board  in seeing this coming.  I applaud the Sox for not getting carried away.  They set it up so that they had a solid plan B in that they can sign Beltre.  That is smart negotiating.  It gave them leverage.  None of us know what the numbers are but chances are they were steep.

Unfortunately, AG has no reason to back down on his position (what ever it is).  He is happy to play in SD another year and he believes he will get everything he wants from someone in a year.  I guess there is some advantage to getting it done now but that is not all that much reason for him not to just wait.

This may not be over but I suspect it is.  They will now sign Beltre and trade for or sign an outfielder/relievers.

Looks like you were the lone voice in seeing nothing as Theo and the front office will bring him here and simply wait to announce the extension til after the season begins to save money. So much for the Beltre/Upton pinings.

Fact is the Sox really had no leverage; especially in light of the Werth signing. Boston's fanbase has been dwindling in interest. AGon is exactly the kind of impact bat this team needs and has been waiting for and the money should be of no consequence. They make plenty of money and plenty of contracts expire next year. This had to happen whether you wanna believe it or not. Beltre and Upton or random OF would not cut it. Beltre is not an option this fanbase would've accepted and everybody knows it.

excellent point, TP

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm leaning towards neither happening. 

Beltre really doesn't make sense now with A-Gon in the fold and I think Crawford will go to the highest bidder and that team won't be Boston.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
Appears the framework is indeed in place:

"The Red Sox have scheduled a Monday news conference to announce the trade.

No contract extension will be announced at the news conference, but both sides have apparently agreed to the parameters of a new deal, believed to be for eight years and worth a total of about $167 million. Gonzalez had one year to go on his contract with the Padres for about $6 million."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/05/gonzalez.redsox.deal.off/index.html#ixzz17IJOg5vg

Those numbers look just fine to me.

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Agreed, if those are the numbers, I think the Sox got him for less than many expected. Now since that's an extension, he'll pretty much be coming with a 9 year $173 million deal since he makes $6 million next year, right? That's great value.

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
I think after Werth's astronomical contract there's just no way we get Crawford too. And considering the leftover free agent OFers on the market we likely go with the Cameron/Kalish platoon in LF this year. I'm actually okay with that for right now. Hopefully Kalish improves on a promising first season and Cameron will be healthier. Either way healthier campaigns from Youk, Pedey, and Ells buoyed now by the acquisition of Gonzales should help keep the offense chugging just fine. Now to get the bullpen, Beckett and Lackey righted.

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

The ridiculous Werth contract changed everything.  We don't know what the final numbers are but it looks like I was wrong about how far the Sox would go.  I think they paniced when they saw what Werth got.  Let's see what else they are able to do now.  They got their man and nothing wrong with that, he is a stud, but we still need an OF upgrade and a bullpen.

It's not that I think this is bad, I just think prospects plus $170M or whatever is just too much.