Celtics Basketball > Celtics Talk

Shaq shooting a better free throw percentage than Rondo

<< < (3/9) > >>

billysan:
I think the big deal over Rondo's FT shooting is simply that he would be so much more effective as an offensive weapon if he shot 75% or so from the line.

His ability to get into the lane and draw contact as well as get to the rim is at least as good or better than any PG in the league. I know some will say that is because of the lineup he plays with, but whatever.

For me he is a top tier PG anyway you look at it, but he would be arguably 'the' top PG with a decent FT percentage even without a high percentage jumper.

He wouldnt need a high % jumper to average 20+ ppg.

Roy H.:
Yeah, Rondo's free throw shooting is definitely a weakness.  He ranks 360th in the league in FT%, and among players with 20 or more FTAs this year, only Brendan Haywood, Spencer Hawes, and Tracy McGrady are worse.

That said, it's early.  His career averages suggest that he's going to get back up to the 62% - 65% range.  That's still not great, obviously, but it's a heck of a lot better than 44%.

One of the biggest issues for the team when Rondo struggles from the line is that it leads to Rondo being less aggressive in terms of penetrating.  Doc cited this in last year's playoffs, essentially suggesting that Rondo was playing away from contact.  That hurts the team, because Rondo is an amazing finisher inside.

As others have said, the poor FT shooting also makes the Celtics more vulnerable at the end of close games.  Ideally, it would be Rondo -- rather than Paul or Ray -- handling the ball in close situations, but the team is handcuffed by Rondo's poor FT shooting.

The good news is that Rondo has the capability to be a good FT shooter.  He's had long stretches where he was over 70%, which is respectable.  If he can get over whatever is psychologically holding him back at the line, I think he'll be fine.

moiso:

--- Quote from: greenpride32 on December 01, 2010, 09:43:58 AM ---Just because Rondo does other things well it does not mask the fact that he is a very poor free throw shooter.  That arguement does not make any sense for those making it.  He's not just bad, he's one of the worst in the league, so it's more than just a weakness.

Rondo has a nice smooth and consistent stroke at the line.  I think he just needs to take his time.  Those 3 free throws he shot last night, he just chucked the first two and bricked them.  I mean was he in a hurry to get somewhere?  He took his time on the 3rd one and nothing but net.  I think it was Tommy who said last night during the telecast Rondo can be an 80% free throw shooter.  I agree but he needs to take it more seriously.

Let's not forget the C's had to change their offensive strategy last year in the Finals because Rondo could not hit his free throws.

--- End quote ---
I strongly disagree that he has a nice smooth and consistent stroke.  Especially the consistent part.  If he were consistent he would be able to duplicate the shots that go in far more often.

kozlodoev:

--- Quote from: BballTim on December 01, 2010, 09:12:52 AM ---
  After we make a list of players who shoot a better ft% than Rondo we should make lists about point guards who play better defense or players who average more assists per game than Rondo.

Ok, both of my lists are done.

--- End quote ---
As far as defense is concerned, there are other names in the mix. Westbrook and Wall are not too shabby.

Roy H.:

--- Quote from: billysan on December 01, 2010, 09:53:30 AM ---
For me he is a top tier PG anyway you look at it, but he would be arguably 'the' top PG with a decent FT percentage even without a high percentage jumper.

He wouldnt need a high % jumper to average 20+ ppg.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, a good example of this is Russell Westbrook.  He's a poor outside (and overall) shooter, but he's very good at hitting FTs.  He's averaging close to 24 points per game this year, in large part because he's getting to the line 9 times per contest (and is hitting 8 of those shots).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version