Author Topic: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy  (Read 6630 times)

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
« on: November 24, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Didn't see anyone post anything about this yet so i thought i'd ask what people think of Kanye Wests new album.

I for one think it is a masterpiece and this is coming from someone who is not the biggest Kanye West fan and hated 808's and heartbreak. It's been a while since i've heard an artist put so much heart and emotion in to every single track. The entire album is solid throughout. There's not a single song i do not like on the album. Power, Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous, and blame game are four of his best songs in my opinion.

All in all the album more than makes up for 808's and heartbreak and is definantly worth the buy. Highly recommended by this guy  ;)

Re: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I read reviews in a few places and it has gotten fantastic reviews. Im not much into the hip hop/pop scenes but I think I will end up picking up this disc and given it a couple spins myself.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Didn't see anyone post anything about this yet so i thought i'd ask what people think of Kanye Wests new album.

I for one think it is a masterpiece and this is coming from someone who is not the biggest Kanye West fan and hated 808's and heartbreak. It's been a while since i've heard an artist put so much heart and emotion in to every single track. The entire album is solid throughout. There's not a single song i do not like on the album. Power, Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous, and blame game are four of his best songs in my opinion.

All in all the album more than makes up for 808's and heartbreak and is definantly worth the buy. Highly recommended by this guy  ;)

Musically it is one of the best albums of any genre I have ever heard. I was hoping Kanye would deepen his lyrical content a bit, but it was typical Kanye which is very entertaining IMO.

I just cant overlook the fact that the music is so epic and moving it feels that the fun braggadocious ego trip lyrics by Kanye and crew are misplaced.

This really is just picking nits though. Great production and entertaining lyrics...a really great album.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Great album.  All of the Lights, Power, and Gorgeous are great.  I agree with OP that 808 and Heartbreak was a letdown, but Kanye really pulled it together with this one.  Great music, entertaining lyrics, makes for a great musical experience.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
I heard some tracks I liked from it previously.

But was very disappointed about his last CD.

Just downloaded mp3 version for 4$ from Amazon thx for the recommend.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I bought this and Nicki Minaj yesterday.  Both are good so far.  The Kanye sounds excellent; the real test is how much I play it over the next couple of months.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
with this album you see pure genious at work

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
This album is just plain awesome.

"I choke a South Park writer with a fish stick!"
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »

Offline Bhudda

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Whaaaat?  "Classic"  "Genius at work"    Ya right.

This album's solid. It's got good production.  It's a slightly different look than what's out there as far as mainstream hip hop goes.  The only thing that really stands out to me are they ways the songs are composed.  Kanye did a nice job putting the songs together.

But i was really unimpressed with his rapping ability on the album.  I haven't heard a single verse where he actually rips it.  On top of that, his singing voice is really not very good whatsoever.  But worst of all, this dude Kanye takes himself waaaaay to seriously.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 02:27:55 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Great album.  All of the Lights, Power, and Gorgeous are great.  I agree with OP that 808 and Heartbreak was a letdown, but Kanye really pulled it together with this one.  Great music, entertaining lyrics, makes for a great musical experience.
Welcome to the Blog,18isGREATERthan72.  I am not sure about your name though...I have been 18, but I haven't been 72...yet!  ;D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Very good album so far.

I haven't really gotten to many listens in yet.

There has yet to be a Kanye West Album that I don't like.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

This album's solid. It's got good production.  It's a slightly different look than what's out there as far as mainstream hip hop goes.  The only thing that really stands out to me are they ways the songs are composed.  Kanye did a nice job putting the songs together.

But i was really unimpressed with his rapping ability on the album.  I haven't heard a single verse where he actually rips it.  On top of that, his singing voice is really not very good whatsoever.  But worst of all, this dude Kanye takes himself waaaaay to seriously.

How you could listen to this album and get the sense that Kanye takes himself or his music too seriously is difficult for me to fathom.

One of the great things about the album is how silly and off the wall it is at times...I don't think Kanye is actually insane enough to produce an album like this 100% in earnest.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
But i was really unimpressed with his rapping ability on the album.  I haven't heard a single verse where he actually rips it.  On top of that, his singing voice is really not very good whatsoever. 

I respect you opinion but expecting Kanye to rip it lyrically...is like expecting Perk to get 20pt 12reb and 5blk.  Sure he is capable...once in a blue moon but as a Celtics fan you are really surprised and talk about it when it actually does happen!  

But with that said, I hear what you are saying and it is a valid complaint.  

Not to go off topic but I had the same beef with Eminem and Snoop when they do a guest feature on someone else's song they bring their A+ game but when they release their CD they rarely go as hard (they will do it on 1 or 2 songs tops)...but I don't count that against them.

I listened to the whole thing 2X so far and I like it really like the CD version of Devil in a Blue dress much better then the leaked version I heard.  That Rozay verse was flawless. I am also really feeling Gorgeous and All the lights.  The 9 minute Runaway was a bit much but I still like most of it.

You guys were right production is top notch.  I give it a solid 4 out of 5 mic's  has potential for 4.5 on my scale...but I don't see it reaching my 5 mic status.

"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline Bhudda

• Neemias Queta
But i was really unimpressed with his rapping ability on the album.  I haven't heard a single verse where he actually rips it.  On top of that, his singing voice is really not very good whatsoever. 

I respect you opinion but expecting Kanye to rip it lyrically...is like expecting Perk to get 20pt 12reb and 5blk.  Sure he is capable...once in a blue moon but as a Celtics fan you are really surprised and talk about it when it actually does happen!  

But with that said, I hear what you are saying and it is a valid complaint.  

Not to go off topic but I had the same beef with Eminem and Snoop when they do a guest feature on someone else's song they bring their A+ game but when they release their CD they rarely go as hard (they will do it on 1 or 2 songs tops)...but I don't count that against them.

I listened to the whole thing 2X so far and I like it really like the CD version of Devil in a Blue dress much better then the leaked version I heard.  That Rozay verse was flawless. I am also really feeling Gorgeous and All the lights.  The 9 minute Runaway was a bit much but I still like most of it.

You guys were right production is top notch.  I give it a solid 4 out of 5 mic's  has potential for 4.5 on my scale...but I don't see it reaching my 5 mic status.

Hahaha fair enough.  I like the Perk analogy.  Guess I just gotta handle my expectations better.  Cuz your right, every once in a while Kanye will lace us with a dope verse. 

And I agree 100% about eminem and his guest verses.  Also agree on the RAUSS verse. 

My fav song is def Dark Fantasy.  Classic in my opinnion 

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline Bhudda

• Neemias Queta

How you could listen to this album and get the sense that Kanye takes himself or his music too seriously is difficult for me to fathom.

One of the great things about the album is how silly and off the wall it is at times...I don't think Kanye is actually insane enough to produce an album like this 100% in earnest.

It's really difficult for you to fathom?  Take a listen to his 1st 3 albums ad then listen to his last 2 again.   They're worlds apart.  And I understand he's evolving as a person and an artist.  I'm not mad at him or anything.  But I'm not going to get excited about an album from a rapper who has turned into exactly what I hoped he wouldn't -- and whose album reflects it. 

It's kinda like when Lebron first came into the league.  I really liked him.  Really liked his potential.  But somewhere in the back of my mind I knew his ego would blow out of control and he would become the next Kobe (or Jay-z).  And the truth is, it happened.

IMO Kanye is at his best when he is silly and off the wall.  This album is a step in the right direction from his last one.  But he needs to stop trying to change the face of hip hop and know his role.