Author Topic: bledsoe making teams regret?  (Read 4288 times)

bledsoe making teams regret?
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:09:43 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Too early for drafter's remorse?  How many teams could use a point guard and wish they'd picked Eric Bledsoe?  I haven't seen him play, but he's a known scorer who seems to be filling up stat sheets in other areas, a very good sign that the Clippers got something much more than a one-dimensional player.  For pick 18 I'd call him a steal.

Some drafted ahead of him are considered projects, and others are banged up, but there were some guys picked ahead of Bledsoe who were supposed to come in and help out rather quickly.
Greg Monroe is playing some and hopefully will up his minutes soon.  I assume Udoh and Patterson, like Ed Davis, are hurt.  Babbit's not playing.  Paul George is playing few minutes.  Gordon Hayward is getting just a bit of time.   Seraphin's a major project and Washington has Wall so had little use for Bledsoe or the ability to showcase him.  Larry Sanders a young project type.  Xavier Henry has a ways to go I'm guessing.  Aldrich is hardly playing yet.  The other guy outside the top 6 who's doing well?  Aminu, also with the Clippers.  I'd say they had a great draft.

It's way to early to talk of busts, but Eric Bledsoe looks good enough to inspire some major remorse!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:30:55 AM by wiley »

Re: bledsoe making teams regret?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Patrick Patterson is healthy. He just isn't good enough to get into Houston's team. Luis Scola, Chuck Hayes, Jordan Hill and Jared Jeffries are all ahead of him in the depth chart which is fair enough. He'll be spending most of this season in the D-League according to Daryl Morey.

Ekpe Udoh is out with a long term injury so we won't see much of him this season. He got hurt (wrist) early in the summer and will be out for at least six months. I think that is sometime around or before the All-Star break. Without a summer's workout, without training camp and after missing the first 40-50 games of the season ... we're unlikely to see much of him this season. It'll be tough for him to get back up to speed after spending that long on the sidelines as a rookie. A few appearances but probably little impact until next season.

Ed Davis is out with injury (torn meniscus) but he was only slated to miss the start of the season. Should be back before the new year. He should be a rotation player for the Raps when he returns (20mpg, possible starter depending on how they view Reggie Evans' play).

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Bledsoe is also a turnover machine

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am still shocked he fell so far.  Haven't people realized how effective super quick and athletic guards are in the league these days? 

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I am still shocked he fell so far.  Haven't people realized how effective super quick and athletic guards are in the league these days?  

He barely played (at least as a PG) at Kentucky as a result of being behind Wall.  I'm guessing that's a big part of the reason.  

Landry Fields has also been playing very well; so far he's the steal of the draft (middle of the second round).

In any case, so far it looks as though this was a very weak draft.  The best rookies in the league right now are Wall, Griffin, Bledsoe, Fields, and Favors.  Griffin doesn't count since he was from the previous draft class, and both Bledsoe and Fields were from outside the lottery.

I'm sure it'll get better with time, since there were a lot of project bigs in the class.  DeMarcus Cousins has shown flashes of potential.  Evan Turner has been fairly mediocre, but not awful.  Aminu has looked recently as though he might be a pretty good player eventually.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah, i really bet that teams are regretting picking a shooting guard that has led his team to a 1 and 12 record so far this season....

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

and bingo
this is the reason
I watch clips games a lot

I love Blke Griffin nd thats the main reason to
its interesting to see his developing nd struglling from time to time

but now back to bledsoe, his turnover proning, makes delnegro goes mad.
Imagine him in a good team
end of bench guaranteed
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I very briefly thought this was a Drew Bledsoe whine thread. I'm so dumb

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
That's how the careers of top passing point guard typically begin. Not a problem.

I don't think people are really regretting much because they all know that drafts are a bit of a crap shoot.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yeah, i really bet that teams are regretting picking a shooting guard that has led his team to a 1 and 12 record so far this season....

I don't get this.  Are you saying he sucks and has no potential, or are you saying despite him looking pretty good, it's way out of line to talk about other teams regretting not taking him?

If you would add some actual basketball analysis to the thread I wouldn't have to guess.

I personally think it's too early to worry about him turning the ball over a lot.  This is the Clippers 2010, not the Celtics 2007.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I don't get this.  Are you saying he sucks and has no potential, or are you saying despite him looking pretty good, it's way out of line to talk about other teams regretting not taking him?

If you would add some actual basketball analysis to the thread I wouldn't have to guess.

I personally think it's too early to worry about him turning the ball over a lot.  This is the Clippers 2010, not the Celtics 2007.

he reminds me sebastian telfair (who is playng very good this day)
with less ball handling
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
#1 - John Wall
#2 - Evan Turner
#3 - Derick Favors
#4 - Wesley Johnson
#5 - DeMarcus Cousins
#6 - Ekpe Udoh
#7 - Greg Monroe
#8 - Al Farouq Aminu
#9 - Gordon Hayward
#10 - Paul George
#11 - Cole Aldrich
#12 - Xavier Henry
#13 - Ed Davis
#14 - Patrick Patterson
#15 - Luke Babbitt
#16 - Larry Sanders
#17 - Kevin Seraphin
#18 - Eric Bledsoe

Red = superior prospect
Green = unknown level of quality, too early to tell
Blue = similar level talent, different position

----------------------------------------------------

If re-doing the draft today ...

Udoh and Monroe are question marks as to what they can be in the NBA. I'd still take both players ahead of Bledsoe though due to their size and intriguing skill-sets as a big man. Udoh as a quality all-round role playing PF and Monroe as a skilled offensive big. (both are possible flops though)

Larry Sanders is still too raw to be a regular contributor. He needs time to develop. He has a very interesting combination of athleticism, defensive potential and rebounding potential. I'd probably take him ahead of Bledsoe too. A higher risk reward type prospect but far less of a sure thing.

I barely know anything about Kevin Seraphin except that he is a raw prospect and needs time. No idea whether he went in the right place or should have gone lower (or higher). Can't really comment.

Patrick Patterson and Cole Aldrich just comes down to need. Similar level talent so what do you need more? A steady role player at the point? Or in the middle? Or a quick four? All should be capable rotation players during their careers. Patterson is the player I like the least out of the three. Not sure who'd take between Aldrich and Bledsoe. Bledsoe probably has a bit more about him, a bit more dynamic (athleticism). Yeah, Bledsoe. Then Aldrich, then Patterson.

Oh, I forgot Xavier Henry. Not sure where I'd put him in that pecking order. Ahead of Patterson. I'd like to see more of him offensively to get a better feel on how good that jump shot of his really is. If he has that jumper, I take him ahead of Bledsoe. If he doesn't, I take him behind Aldrich.

----------------------------------------------------

Overall, I think Bledsoe went in the right area of the draft. In that 14-20 range. So I wouldn't have any complaints or regrets about him not going higher. You could argue a pick here and there but I reckon it's in the ball park. The right area of the first round.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:54:56 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When I said I thought it was a Drew Bledsoe whine thread I actually meant wine thread. You know how he has that Vineyard in Washington now?