Author Topic: Celtics (7-2) at Grizzlies (4-5) 11/13  (Read 35308 times)

Celtics (7-2) at Grizzlies (4-5) 11/13
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (7-2) at Grizzlies (4-5)
Saturday, November 13
8:00 PM ET
Game #10, Road Game #6
TV: CSNNE, SSO-MEM,  NBA-LP 759/760
Radio:  WEEI, WRBO
Fed Ex Forum 

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo 10.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 14.9 APG, 3.0 SPG
Mike Conley 14.9 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 7.7 APG,  3.1 SPG

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen   19.2 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 2.1 APG, .446 3P%
OJ Mayo  16.2 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 2.6 APG, .435 3P%

Small Forward

vs 
Paul Pierce  20.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.7 APG, .485 FG%
Rudy Gay  25.6 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 2.7 APG, .511 FG%

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett  15.1 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 1.9 APG, 0.6 BPG
Zach Randolph  16/4 PPG, 11.2 RPG, 2.2 APG, 0.0 BPG

Center

vs 
Shaquille O'Neal  7.8 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 0.8 APG, 2.3 BPG 
Marc Gasol  11.8 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 2.4 APG, 0.9 BPG

Boston Bench Mob
Marquis Daniels
Glen Davis
Luke Harangody
Nate Robinson
Von Wafer
Semih Erden

Injured

Kendrick Perkins (knee) out
Avery Bradley (ankle) out
Delonte West Suspended
Shaquille O'Neal (knee) Probable
Jermaine O'Neal (knee) out

Grizzlies Bench Players
Xavier Henry
Hasheem Thabeet
Acie Law
Darrell Arthur
Tony Allen
Sam Young
Greivis Vasquez
Hamed Haddadi
DeMarre Carroll

Injuries
None

Team Connections
Tony Allen played for the Celtics from 2004‐10 and was a member of the 2008 NBA Championship team
Darrell Arthur, Xavier Henry and Paul Pierce attended the University of Kansas
Ray Allen, Hasheem Thabeet and Rudy Gay attended the University of Connecticut
Grizzlies Assistant Coach Damon Stoudamire and Jermaine O’Neal were teammates in Portland from 1998‐2000

Key Matchups

vs 
Ray Allen is coming off an incredible shooting night against the Heat and hopefully he will continue his hot hand in this game. OJ Mayo is capable of a big game himself and so Ray's defense will be needed in this game also.

vs 
Paul Pierce  20.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.7 APG, .485 FG%
Rudy Gay  25.6 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 2.7 APG, .511 FG%
Rudy Gay is leading the Grizzlies in scoring and so for the second game in a row Pierce will have a tough defensive assignment.  Limiting Rudy's scoring will be key for the Celtics to get a win. 

Game Notes

Last Season the Grizzlies and Celtics split the series 1‐1 with both teams winning on the road.  Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo both averaged 17.5 points per game against the Grizzlies last season.  Paul Pierce connected on 6‐of‐8 from beyond the arc in the two contests.  Rudy Gay led the Grizzlies with an average of 25.5 points per game to go along with 7.5 rebound.  O.J. Mayo averaged 19.0 points and shot 68.0% from the field. 

The Grizzlies are fielding the same starting 5 as they had last season.  The Celtics have 4 of the same starters with the Center position now filled by Shaquille O'Neal and hopefully Shaq will be good to go as Jermaine has returned to Boston for tests on his injured knee. 

Keys to the Game
Take Care of the Ball- The Celtics have to concentrate on taking care of the ball as they tend to turn the ball over too much.  The Grizzlies lead the league in steals (11.6) and in forcing turnovers (20.7) as well as in points off turnovers (22.7).  If the Celtics get sloppy, the Grizzlies will make them pay for it. 

Rebound - Rebounding is very important in limiting fast break points and second chance points for the Grizz.  The Grizzlies are 2-0 when out- rebounding their opponents.  The Celtics must be aggressive in crashing the boards. 

Don't Settle for Jumpers - The Celtics have to take the ball into the paint and not settle for outside jumpers.  Good things happen when they take the ball to the basket. 

Defense - The team that works hardest on defense will be the team that wins.  The Grizzlies are 4-0 when holding teams under 100 points but 0-5 when allowing teams to reach the 100 point mark.   The Grizzlies are also limiting opponent to 92.3 PPG in their wins, but allowing 117.4 PPG in their losses.   The Celtics must be the more aggressive team on defense. 

Odd Fact
The nickname Grizzlies was chosen when the team was in Vancouver.  They originally chose the name Mounties but that was abandoned following objections by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.  The Grizzlies name was kept upon moving to Memphis.

X-Factor
Let Down
The Celtics are coming off an emotional win over the Heat and may tend to take the Grizzlies for granted.   As with the Cavs after the first win over the Heat, taking the Grizzlies for granted would be a big mistake.  They are under .500, but their 5 losses are against teams with a combined win percentage of .718.  The Celtics can't afford to take this team lightly. 

Re: Celtics (7-2) at Grizzlies (4-5) 11/13
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:51 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo should pass Conley in steals tonight. Grizzlies are 8th in NBA for committing turnovers, while Boston is 9th in forcing them.

Boston hasn’t been turning the ball over lately so hopefully they keep it up.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Another thread, another Tommy Point.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
The Grizz starting five should match up well against the Celtics starting five. I think the bench will be the difference in this one. Xavier has come on of late, but the grizz bench is still their weak spot.  I'm excited for the game. I'll be there, as I am everytime the Celtics come to town. I'm taking my mom and wife. This will be my mom's first NBA game! TP to her and Tp to FL as always for the great game thread.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
Can someone give me a TP so Im not on 24? I hate that number. Will return the favor.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Can someone give me a TP so Im not on 24? I hate that number. Will return the favor.

Here you go. :P

I totally agree with FL's preview, the key tonight is the "let down factor". I think the team has learned the lesson from the Cleveland game. Plus, they have benefited from two days of rest since the Miami game so fatigue shouldn't be a factor (the Cleveland game was on a back to back).

The starting 5 of the Grizzlies should give us problems but (on paper) our bench should make the difference, our 2nd unit owns them at every position.

It will be fun to see TA defend on Ray or Paul (if he gets playing time, of course :D).

TP FL and go Celtics!

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The Grizz starting five should match up well against the Celtics starting five. I think the bench will be the difference in this one. Xavier has come on of late, but the grizz bench is still their weak spot.  I'm excited for the game. I'll be there, as I am everytime the Celtics come to town. I'm taking my mom and wife. This will be my mom's first NBA game! TP to her and Tp to FL as always for the great game thread.
TP for taking your mom to see the Celtics. Enjoy the game!  I hope she has a blast!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
Thanks Drucci and FL. TPs back

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Now we have to see TA on another team....IF he even plays..!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Statistically, the Grizzlies look scary at every position.  However, they are an excellent example of why stats don't always tell the whole story. 

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I would like to win tonight and finish 3 and 1 against 4 tough road teams. Memphis has some credibility at their 1, 2, and 3 spots. Zach Randoplh quietly has had a very nice career here after his trade from Portland. The starting five is solid.

I think the key to beating this team is get an early lead on them and keep them down by double-digits. Dallas and Los Angelos Lakers were successful at doing this - a common denominator is that both are veteran teams.

This means -

1. Avoid turnovers
2. Rebound

The Celtics have played well here in the past but Memphis is a better team then in past years and are going to fly "under the radar" all season.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
If you take a closer look at both teams starter numbers, Grizz have better ones with exception of Rondo's assists and few Ray's points.
We are 7-2 and they are 4-5
Numbers count for nothing  :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this game could be a tough game tonight

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Would be nice to see them get Shaq involved early.  I still don't think we're utilizing him as much as we could.  If he starts really clicking, then the starters are absolutely unstoppable. 

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Statistically, the Grizzlies look scary at every position.  However, they are an excellent example of why stats don't always tell the whole story. 

yep

This pre-game show is beyond annoying. Thank God for DVR's. That owner who I've never heard of sure does seem happy to be in the spotlight for 45 seconds.