Author Topic: If The Heat Had Chris Paul instead of LeBron...  (Read 12632 times)

If The Heat Had Chris Paul instead of LeBron...
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
After thinking about leBron's shortcomings as a player who can be responsible for running an offense and getting everyone involved in the game I canme to a conclusion.

The Heat would have been better off by getting Bosh, resigning Wade, and making a trade for CP3.

Im not saying this was ever on the table but just for fun let's discuss.

Of course it is early and I am basing this on just 9 games from the Heat. However, it is apparent that LeBron did not change his approach to basketball this season. He has not adapted his game to fit in with this collection of talent. He has no idea how to be a pg and yet he needs the ball in his hands at the start of every possesion.

If the Heat had CP3, who looks phenomenal this year making his team around him better by getting them open shots, they would have 3 elite players who also happen to be complementary. You can bet that CP3 would have found a way to get Wade going last night.

Think of it this way. If Paul Pierce had not bought into Doc's plan for him to become a more efficient player by playing off the ball and trusting his teammates to get him open shots, the Celtics would have never won a championship. Pierce used to handle the ball ALOT. Not as much as LeBron, but exponentially more than he does now. Pierce reluctantly changed his game. Lebron likely will never.

One can make the argument that there is no one on the Heat better qualified than LeBron to run the offense. Well in 07-08 the Big 3 of BOSTON put their hall of fame trust in an unproven 21 year old point guard and found success.

The Heat big 3 are beatable as long as LeBron is their pg. I just shutter to think how unstoppable a team with Chris Bosh and DWade would be if they had a virtuoso like Chris Paul running the show (or Rondo).

Re: If The Heat Had Chris Paul instead of LeBron...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think you'd have most of the same problems as far as there being only one ball. CP3 is a PG, but he pounds the ball as much as LeBron/Wade ever have. (probably more honestly)

He'd get Bosh more alley oop looks and other easy dunks, but Wade or LeBron would still struggle off the ball.

Overall I think Wade is a better player than CP3 and in the end a better fit to play with LeBron. He's just had two awful games versus the C's.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think the scariest team to put CP3 would be the Magic. Dwight Howard and CP3 would mesh perfectly and would instantly make the Magic a top 3 offense.

Fortunately the Hornets aren't trading him this year.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
After thinking about leBron's shortcomings as a player who can be responsible for running an offense and getting everyone involved in the game I canme to a conclusion.

The Heat would have been better off by getting Bosh, resigning Wade, and making a trade for CP3.

Im not saying this was ever on the table but just for fun let's discuss.

Of course it is early and I am basing this on just 9 games from the Heat. However, it is apparent that LeBron did not change his approach to basketball this season. He has not adapted his game to fit in with this collection of talent. He has no idea how to be a pg and yet he needs the ball in his hands at the start of every possesion.

If the Heat had CP3, who looks phenomenal this year making his team around him better by getting them open shots, they would have 3 elite players who also happen to be complementary. You can bet that CP3 would have found a way to get Wade going last night.

Think of it this way. If Paul Pierce had not bought into Doc's plan for him to become a more efficient player by playing off the ball and trusting his teammates to get him open shots, the Celtics would have never won a championship. Pierce used to handle the ball ALOT. Not as much as LeBron, but exponentially more than he does now. Pierce reluctantly changed his game. Lebron likely will never.

One can make the argument that there is no one on the Heat better qualified than LeBron to run the offense. Well in 07-08 the Big 3 of BOSTON put their hall of fame trust in an unproven 21 year old point guard and found success.

The Heat big 3 are beatable as long as LeBron is their pg. I just shutter to think how unstoppable a team with Chris Bosh and DWade would be if they had a virtuoso like Chris Paul running the show (or Rondo).

We could add any number of journeymen PG's out there to this list.  They don't need a top PG (though, hey, it'd help) for their offense to be better, just a decent one.  Felton, Sessions, Ridnour, Hinrich, TJ Ford, Telfair...

Actually, a PG that could defend would make them much, much better.  Marcus Banks to Miami!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
I think you'd have most of the same problems as far as there being only one ball. CP3 is a PG, but he pounds the ball as much as LeBron/Wade ever have. (probably more honestly)

He'd get Bosh more alley oop looks and other easy dunks, but Wade or LeBron would still struggle off the ball.

Overall I think Wade is a better player than CP3 and in the end a better fit to play with LeBron. He's just had two awful games versus the C's.
[/b]

I agree Wade is better than CP3. I was suggesting that Wade would be better playing with Paul vs. LeBron.

I am basing this on my belief that LeBron doesnt know how to get players involved in the offense because he IS the offense. I think Paul is much better at this and while he cant score like Lebron, he would actually be a better fit with Wade and Bosh.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I disagree with your assessments.  The lack of chemistry among the current three, and need for a point guard, is too obvious.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
I think the scariest team to put CP3 would be the Magic. Dwight Howard and CP3 would mesh perfectly and would instantly make the Magic a top 3 offense.

Wow. Think of how good the magic looked in the playoffs against us during the stretches when Nelson attacked and threw lob after lob to Howard.

Now picture Chris Paul doing the same thing...only for 48 minutes a game and 5x better.

You are right...let's delete this before anyone in Orlando gets a hold of it.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I disagree with your assessments.  The lack of chemistry among the current three, and need for a point guard, is too obvious.
Why would chemsitry with CP3 be any better? He pounds the ball just as much as Wade/Lebron/Bosh.

Also while the Heat are very weak at PG, does being very weak at SG help much either? They don't need CP3, they just need a PG to defend and hit 3s. Right now they have a guy who can shoot but that's it.

They have LeBron, they don't need a PG to create offense.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Wow. Think of how good the magic looked in the playoffs against us during the stretches when Nelson attacked and threw lob after lob to Howard.

Now picture Chris Paul doing the same thing...only for 48 minutes a game and 5x better.

You are right...let's delete this before anyone in Orlando gets a hold of it.
Yeah, plus CP3 wouldn't miss Howard rolling to the hoop as often as Nelson. CP3 makes Okafor a dangers P&R player.....

Then you add the defensive upgrade CP3 would be over Nelson to boot, they'd be the best team in the league if they got role players to defend the wing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:25:43 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Why would chemsitry with CP3 be any better? He pounds the ball just as much as Wade/Lebron/Bosh.

Also while the Heat are very weak at PG, does being very weak at SG help much either? They don't need CP3, they just need a PG to defend and hit 3s. Right now they have a guy who can shoot but that's it.

Rondo is the biggest "pounder" in the NBA. The "point" is, you want the ball in the hands of a great PG like Paul or Rondo, because they know what to do with it, and they don't turn it over much.  More pounding by Paul means less pounding by others. Only good things will happen.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

I disagree with your assessments.  The lack of chemistry among the current three, and need for a point guard, is too obvious.

This is where I disagree. LeBron is a crappy poing guard. He might have good assist numbers but a good point guard knows how to get everyone involved in the offense. LeBron is the ultimate shoot first point guard. How many teams have won with shoot first PGs?

Edit: Everyone that plays with guys like Rondo, DWill, Nash, CP3 know to be ready because if they get in good positions, their PG will find them. Guys playing with LeBron know one thing, stay out of the paint and out of his way.

Edit #2: How many times did you see Rondo recognize good matchups with Pierce on shorter players last night? You would have thought it was Miami's game plan to put Eddie House on Pierce. In actuality, Rondo just recognized it the 4 times it happened and made it his priority to get Pierce the ball for wasy buckets.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:44:00 AM by Greenbean »

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I disagree with your assessments.  The lack of chemistry among the current three, and need for a point guard, is too obvious.

This is where I disagree. LeBron is a crappy poing guard. He might have good assist numbers but a good point guard knows how to get everyone involved in the offense. LeBron is the ultimate shoot first point guard. How many teams have won with shoot first PGs?

Edit: Everyone that plays with guys like Rondo, DWill, Nash, CP3 know to be ready because if they get in good positions, their PG will find them. Guys playing with LeBron know one thing, stay out of the paint and out of his way.

Edit #2: How many times did you see Rondo recognize good matchups with Pierce on shorter players last night? You would have thought it was Miami's game plan to put Eddie House on Pierce. In actuality, Rondo just recognized it the 4 times it happened and made it his priority to get Pierce the ball for wasy buckets.
I think you are way off base that LeBron is a crappy point guard. He creates high quality looks at a rate as good as almost any PG in the league. He looks to score first, but there is nothing wrong with that. He's the best player in the league and should be using more possessions than PG like Rondo.

There is more than one way to play PG, or run an offense.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

I think you are way off base that LeBron is a crappy point guard. He creates high quality looks at a rate as good as almost any PG in the league. He looks to score first, but there is nothing wrong with that. He's the best player in the league and should be using more possessions than PG like Rondo.

There is more than one way to play PG, or run an offense.

That style of offense is way easier to guard than one where the PG is looking to get all 4 players involved. On the Celtics, you dont know where it is going to come from. Is rondo going to get it to Ray off of screens, is he going to find Pierce in the high post, is he going to play the P&R game with KG or BBD, Is he going to push the tempo and get Shaq some early post ups?

So many dimensions to defend because Rondo can spread the ball around evenly, and initiate a ball movement based offense.

LeBron is amazing at getting into the paint and scoring or kicking out. He has the drive and kick game and sometimes the P&R game. That's it. That is all it was in Cleveland and it resulted in stagnant offense in crunch time that led to losses. It also resulted in Mike Brown getting fired. We all thought he was the idiot behind that terrible offense. Looks like it was LeBron.

LeBron is not a crappy point guard if he is literally the only option to score on his team. Well he has help now. Bosh in the post, and DWade on the wings. Expecting those guys to just stand on the perimeter and wait for LeBron to kick it out to them is wasting their talents. A good point guard would realize who he needs engaged in the game in order to win. LeBron thus far has only looked to engage himself against tough teams.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lebron is their best player.  He is the only player the Celtics can not stop on the Heat.

If anything, do the rest of guys compliment Lebron?

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Lebron is their best player.  He is the only player the Celtics can not stop on the Heat.

If anything, do the rest of guys compliment Lebron?

And yet he has a terrible record against the Celtics especially in big games.  Remember, it is a team game.  I think Lebron's value is exaggerated in that respect. His BB IQ is not of the caliber of Jordan, Bird, Magic, or Kobe (yes, Kobe).  He is a stat sheet stuffer.