Author Topic: Bulls (2-2) at Celtics (4-1) 11/5 Game 6  (Read 44167 times)

Bulls (2-2) at Celtics (4-1) 11/5 Game 6
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Chicago Bulls (2-2) at Boston Celtics (4-1)
Friday, November 5
8:00 PM ET
Game #6,  Home Game #4
TV:  ESPN, SNET1, CSN-C, CSNNE
Radio:   WEEI,  WMVP
TD Garden  

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo..................................................SG Ray Allen

C:  Jermaine O'Neal

SF:  Paul Pierce ................................. ............PF Kevin Garnett

Coach: Doc Rivers

Boston Bench Mob
Marquis Daniels
Glen Davis
Luke Harangody
Nate Robinson
Von Wafer
Semih Erden
Delonte West (Suspended)

Injured
Kendrick Perkins (knee) out
Avery Bradley (ankle) out
Shaquille O'Neal (knee) questionable  
Rajon Rondo (sore feet)  will play

Probable Starters

PG:  Derrick Rose............................................. SG:  Keith Bogans

C:  Joakim Noah  

SF:  Luol Deng .................................................. PF:  Taj Gibson

Coach:  Tom Thibodeau  

Bulls Bench
Omar Asik
James Johnson
C.J. Watson
Kyle Korver
Ronnie Brewer
Brian Scalabrine
Kurt Thomas

Injuries
Carlos Boozer (hand) out

Team Connections
Bulls Head Coach Tom Thibodeau was a member of the Celtics coaching staff from 2007‐10
Keith Bogans and Rajon Rondo both attended the University of Kentucky
Omer Asik and Semih Erden both are from Turkey and played on the Silver Medal Turkish National Team.
Bulls Assistant Coaches Ed Pinckney (1988‐94) and Adrian Griffin (1999‐2001) played for the Celtics
Bulls Assistant Coach Adrian Griffin, Kurt Thomas and Delonte West played together on the 2007‐08 Seattle SuperSonics
Brian Scalabrine played for the Celtics from 2005‐10

Key Matchups

Rajon Rondo  11.6 PPG,  16.4 APG,  2.6 SPG
Derrick Rose   27.7 PPG, 8.7 APG, 1.0 SPG
This is one of the premier point guard matchups in the league.  There is a lot of discussion about whether Rondo or Rose is the better PG and in a head to head matchup, expect both players to do their best to make their case as the best.  

vs  
Jermaine O'Neal  5 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 1.8 BPG
Joakim Noah   14.3 PPG, 15.3 RPG, 2.0 BPG
Noah leads the Bulls in rebounds and blocks and he plays with a lot of energy.  Jermaine is working his way into game shape after a series of injuries sidelined him through most of the preseason and early in the regular season.   He will need to up his game in this one to prevent Noah from dominating inside.  

Honorable Mention

vs  
Semih Erden vs Omar Asik
These two players were teammates on the Turkish National Team and will face each other for the first time as NBA players.  

Game Notes

The Celtics will welcome a couple of familiar faces when the Bulls come to visit the Garden.  Tom Thibodeau, who was credited with the defense that
led the Celtics to their 17th championship is now the head coach of the Bulls.   Brian Scalabrine, who was a fan favorite in Boston for 5 seasons, has joined Thibs in Chicago.  

The Celtics catch a break in that they come into this game after a day off while the Bulls are playing in the second of back to back games, having faced the Knicks the night before.  This is the first of 4 meetings between these two teams this season.  

Last Season they split  the series 2‐2.   Paul Pierce averaged a team‐high 21.0 points per game in the 4 contests.   He also shot 50.0% from beyond the three‐point line.     Rajon Rondo just fell short of averaging a double‐double with 9.3 points and 10.8 assists per game and Derrick Rose led the Bulls with an average of 21.3 points per  game while shooting 53.8% from the floor.    Luol Deng averaged 13.3 points per game while Joakim Noah chipped in with a double‐double of 10.5 points and 12.5  rebounds per game to go along with 2.50 blocks.

Keys to the Game

Rondo/Rose Matchup -  This is not only a key matchup, but one of the keys to the game.  Both point guards control the tempo of their team and both are key to their team's success.  Rondo has been playing big minutes and in the last game, complained that his feet were sore.  The Celtics need Rondo at 100%.  

Limit turnovers - After turning the ball over just 8 times against the Pistons, the Celtics turned it over 16 times vs the Bucks.  It isn't a surprise that they had an easy win over the Pistons and had to work to get the win against the Bucks.  The Celtics must take care of the ball and limit their turnovers.  

Rebound
- The Celtics have to rebound the ball.   They were out-rebounded 38-36 by the Pistons and just barely beat the Bucks on the boards 43-42.  They have to do a better job of boxing out and grabbing the rebounds.  

Defense - The Celtics defense was less than stellar against the Bucks.  They allowed way too many open and easy shots.  They must get back to a defense first mentality.  

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:01:50 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Bulls (2-1) at Celtics (4-1) 11/5 Game 6
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I wish we had back to back to back games.  (just kidding that would suck)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The "Dons Bowl"!

Boy, I absolutely hate the Bulls with a passion.  Eager to watch the Rose/Rondo matchup.  I'm also really interested to see our bench go against theirs.  Asik & Johnson are two guys that are fun to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:10:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Advantage for us Bulls will be coming off a back to back -

Anybody think Rondo will have a chip on his shoulder facing Rose? given the USA basketball situation and all the media declaring Rose the better pg
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Bulls aren't getting embarrassed by the Knicks so far.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This should be a comfortable win for the Celtics. The Bulls offense does not have enough shooting ability or go-to scoring (without Boozer) to trouble a top class defensive team like the Celtics.

Boston should be able squeeze their offense and build a big lead.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This should be a comfortable win for the Celtics. The Bulls offense does not have enough shooting ability or go-to scoring (without Boozer) to trouble a top class defensive team like the Celtics.

Boston should be able squeeze their offense and build a big lead.
Their only way to beat the C's will be a ton of offensive boards, or Rose absolutely going off.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
 :o I need that Celtics toaster...

C's by 58

Re: Bulls (2-2) at Celtics (4-1) 11/5 Game 6
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

C's by 58

I love that toaster.  I've got it on my Christmas list.  How awesome to have Celtics branded on your toast every morning! 

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

C's by 58

Yea..your toaster won't be lonely anymore ;D

TP FL.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I don't know if I will be there live for the game but I will certainly watch it with a lot of interest. Should be an easy win on paper, the Bulls are on a back to back and we're rested, plus we have KG (it makes all the difference against the Bulls). Hoping Rondo gets 15 assists or more again tonight :D

TP FL and go Celtics!!

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
First game of the year I'm going too  ;D

Also Scalabrine's highly anticipated return to Boston (Thibs' as well)  :)

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Welcome Back to Scal and Thibs, and TP to FLCeltsFan for Post!

I hope Rondo sticks it to D Rose. I believe that our PG is better than theirs.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
One of the obvious keys to this game would be to limit the Bulls' perimeter scoring and transition game and try and force them into a sort of half-court style of offense.

Even though the Chicago Bulls are only 2-2 right now they are still at the top of the Central Division and their star point guard Derrick Rose is second in the league in points per game through the first ten days of the season.

The head-to-head match-up between Rose and Rondo will be interesting because Rondo is more of a passing point guard so he might have to step it up on the defensive end of the court and force Rose to either put up some contested shots or instead try to make plays with his passing. Meanwhile Rondo will likely avoid getting into a scoring contest with Rose and just stick to his regular plays on the offensive side of the court.

I'm sure Celtics fans will be eagerly anticipating the return of Brian Scalabrine to TD Bankworth Arena.

Say what you want about the guy but you can't forget that he was a part of the Celtics team in 2008 the bested the Lakers in 6 games in the NBA Finals...
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
control rose. win the game.