Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 357992 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Couple problems I had with it:

- The Sheriff wakes up in a hospital that was at one point taken over by zombies (evident by the eaten woman on the hospital floor) yet he remains nice and cozy in his hospital bed passed out? Shouldn't a zombie have opened the door to scope the situation, seen some dude sleeping and chewed into him?

They showed that a gurney was pushed up against his door, and being in a coma, he wouldn't be making any noise.  It makes sense that they wouldn't find him.  How he stayed alive so long is a tougher question though.

- After the Sheriff leaves the tank surrounded by zombies, he joins a group of other people and immediately gets a gun pointed in his face by the woman with blond hair. Isn't the anger misdirected here? Shouldn't she be upset with the other people who elected to contact him and help him out? It came off as odd and non realistic to me. I hope there's an explanation for her behavior in later episodes, like she's schizophrenic or something.

He was the one firing the gun and she didn't know him.  Panicked people who have gone through a month of hell on earth aren't going to be thinking rationally.  I can't imagine most people would react differently - maybe they wouldn't point the piece, but they'd definitely blame him for it.

We've seen rocks picked up and smashed through windows, teddie bears to be carried around (for some unknown reason) and knobs turned in attempt to open a door. So I don't think a gurney in front of the hospital room door was enough to stop this type of zombie.

They didn't *have* to "blow their spot up"  and help him. They could have let him die, laid low and then got out of there eventually. They chose to give up their spot and help him out. She was against it, so she holds a gun in his face? Even stranger, five minutes later with zombies all around her banging on windows, she's grabbing dolphin necklaces for her sister and is completely unfazed? It just seemed a little unnatural to me.
If he wasn't making noise and there was an obstacle in its way why would a zombie bother to go into the room? It appears as if the hospital was mostly zombie free until the last of the staff bugged out, they had the zombies contained effectively after all.

Also his gunshots had attracted all the walkers to surround their location, this all happened before they helped him. His escape from the tank didn't cause the zombies to spot them, the damage was already done when he rode in on his horse and shot up a bunch of zombies.

So the people in the department store were also making noise? If they weren't making noise and there were obstacles, why would all these zombies surround the department store if they hadn't elected to save him?

By my recollection, there weren't zombies surrounding the department store before the Sheriff made his dash (while firing gunshots) from the tank to the building complex that included the department store.  He went up stairs and downstairs with that kid but remained in the relative vicinity of where he started his climb up the fire escape.  It also didn't help matters that the racist on the roof starting firing off rounds which would do more to attract the zombies. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

- The Sheriff wakes up in a hospital that was at one point taken over by zombies (evident by the eaten woman on the hospital floor) yet he remains nice and cozy in his hospital bed passed out? Shouldn't a zombie have opened the door to scope the situation, seen some dude sleeping and chewed into him?

The hospital staff had trapped all the walking zombies behind a door and marked it "Do not open, dead inside". It seems like the hospital staff peaced after they trapped the zombies (Hint: if they follow the comics at all, you'll see this a few more times) and left a warnign for any of their patients/ potential looters.

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »

Online shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Eh, I've got mixed feelings on the show.  

I was entertained by the first 2 episodes and will continue to watch.  Overall I liked the atmosphere of the show as well as the actors.

But to be honest I was kind of blown away by how uncreative it is. I mean seriously, the zombies look and act the exact same way that every other zombie has in every other zombie movie.  And you wanna guess how you become a zombie?  You get bit!  Big surprise right?  And you wanna guess what happens after you get bit?  You die.....but then... you come back--just not quite the same.    ::)

I read earlier in the thread that it is based on a comic (didn't know that) so I guess the writers have to stay true to that.  

But anyway, I will probably continue to enjoy it, as I've enjoyed pretty much anything zombie related (28 days later--one of my alltime favs).  But I just had to get that off my chest.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They showed that a gurney was pushed up against his door, and being in a coma, he wouldn't be making any noise.  It makes sense that they wouldn't find him.  How he stayed alive so long is a tougher question though.

- After the Sheriff leaves the tank surrounded by zombies, he joins a group of other people and immediately gets a gun pointed in his face by the woman with blond hair. Isn't the anger misdirected here? Shouldn't she be upset with the other people who elected to contact him and help him out? It came off as odd and non realistic to me. I hope there's an explanation for her behavior in later episodes, like she's schizophrenic or something.

He was the one firing the gun and she didn't know him.  Panicked people who have gone through a month of hell on earth aren't going to be thinking rationally.  I can't imagine most people would react differently - maybe they wouldn't point the piece, but they'd definitely blame him for it.

We've seen rocks picked up and smashed through windows, teddie bears to be carried around (for some unknown reason) and knobs turned in attempt to open a door. So I don't think a gurney in front of the hospital room door was enough to stop this type of zombie.

They didn't *have* to "blow their spot up"  and help him. They could have let him die, laid low and then got out of there eventually. They chose to give up their spot and help him out. She was against it, so she holds a gun in his face? Even stranger, five minutes later with zombies all around her banging on windows, she's grabbing dolphin necklaces for her sister and is completely unfazed? It just seemed a little unnatural to me.
If he wasn't making noise and there was an obstacle in its way why would a zombie bother to go into the room? It appears as if the hospital was mostly zombie free until the last of the staff bugged out, they had the zombies contained effectively after all.

Also his gunshots had attracted all the walkers to surround their location, this all happened before they helped him. His escape from the tank didn't cause the zombies to spot them, the damage was already done when he rode in on his horse and shot up a bunch of zombies.

So the people in the department store were also making noise? If they weren't making noise and there were obstacles, why would all these zombies surround the department store if they hadn't elected to save him?
Because after they'd munched on the sheriff they'd just be wandering around the area aimlessly, but not going very far. Zombies don't disperse quickly in this world unless they're drawn by some noise or other stimuli.

So they might not have been under siege as much, but there would still be enough active zombies that'd it be incredibly difficult to just sneak out.

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

But to be honest I was kind of blown away by how uncreative it is. I mean seriously, the zombies look and act the exact same way that every other zombie has in every other zombie movie.  And you wanna guess how you become a zombie?  You get bit!  Big surprise right?  And you wanna guess what happens after you get bit?  You die.....but then... you come back--just not quite the same.    ::)

I read earlier in the thread that it is based on a comic (didn't know that) so I guess the writers have to stay true to that.  

If they stay true to the comic, then you'll get a broader understanding about how people turn into zombies. IT's not as simple as you make it out.

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I loved the first episode, I haven't seen the second.

I like the typical AMC slow pacing and focus on characters.

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I was entertained by the first 2 episodes and will continue to watch.  Overall I liked the atmosphere of the show as well as the actors.

But anyway, I will probably continue to enjoy it, as I've enjoyed pretty much anything zombie related (28 days later--one of my alltime favs).  But I just had to get that off my chest.
Maybe you need patience to have your questions answered, just as the characters themselves wait for answers.

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I like the typical AMC slow pacing and focus on characters.
Perfect source material for that approach too.

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »

Offline democritic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14

If the show is going to be anything like the comic, which it has so far, it is not a TV show about zombies. It's about living people.

I'm not sure if I agree that a zombie story needs to make zombies different to be creative. Zombies are zombies are zombies. You can change the rules around zombies but a story isn't going to be any good if its main theme is what zombies do. The Walking Dead is a zombie movie that doesn't end, which makes it different than anything you've seen before.

This will probably be the best TV show since Battlestar Galactica for many of the same reasons. It's about people under stress, having experienced trauma, trying to survive and coexist.

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If the show is going to be anything like the comic, which it has so far, it is not a TV show about zombies. It's about living people.

Maybe this has been covered explicitly in the comics, but I get the distinct impression that the title isn't referring to the zombies.

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Maybe this has been covered explicitly in the comics, but I get the distinct impression that the title isn't referring to the zombies.
Its explicitly stated at some point by Rick in the comics.

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Nice.  Reminds me a lot of the end of I Am Legend (the book, the movie completely Hollywoods it and ignores the book's main idea)

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Nice.  Reminds me a lot of the end of I Am Legend (the book, the movie completely Hollywoods it and ignores the book's main idea)
That was one of the first horror novels I ever read. That and Vampire$.

Both were butchered by Hollywood.

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Episode 03 was a little boring in my opinion. I thought the first part was too long and didn't really develop the characters (I really find Lori dislikeable, much more than in the comics). I thought Merle's brother was too much like him, it's kind of caricatural.

Fortunately the 2nd part was much better, the building tensions within the group are really well retranscripted, especially with Ed and Shane. I liked the final twist at the end too, I'm guessing Merle will come back to make a huge mistake (him or his brother) and some members of the group won't be back to the camp.

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Nice.  Reminds me a lot of the end of I Am Legend (the book, the movie completely Hollywoods it and ignores the book's main idea)

You may already know, but the first film version of Matheson's novel was in 1964, and called "The Last Man On Earth" starring Vincent Price, the second version was in 1971 and starred Charlton Heston, (and included one of the first mixed racial love scenes), which was called "The Omega Man", (and was my favorite sci-fi film in the early 70's). There was also an unofficial fourth version released in 2007 called "I Am Omega" that I was not impressed with at all. I did enjoy "I Am Legend", but mostly because of Will Smith and the set production. Matheson's book trumped all the movies, however, as most books usually do, (for me, at least).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *