Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 357042 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
In the original night of living dead doesn't a zombie use a rock to break into a car window?

TBH I could never make it all the way through that movie. The stairs thing was from an interview I read like 10 years ago.

DOUBLE EDIT: It was all about finding the right balance of rigor mortis vs mobility.

Oh come on!  Go watch it.  It's a peach!

I'm a bigger fan of the original Dawn of the Dead (though the opening credits of the remake is pretty awesome).

Is AMC on regular cable?
Yup

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
AMC is indeed regular cable.

The zombies definitely moved pretty fast in the second episode. From the comics and so far the series it seems that Zombies don't go all that fast individually but as a pack they can get themselves going pretty fast.

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The zombies definitely moved pretty fast in the second episode. From the comics and so far the series it seems that Zombies don't go all that fast individually but as a pack they can get themselves going pretty fast.

They did refer to the whole "pack" thing. I wonder what role that's going to play.

I think they stole that from Mass Effect. Cheaters.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

fast Zombies are all the rage apparently.

Yup

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Eh zombies aren't all that fast for the most part in the comic at least.

Several times they have characters just go around with bats and shovels taking out zombies one at a time in a large area.

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Several times they have characters just go around with bats and shovels taking out zombies one at a time in a large area.

Not specifically these ones I guess(since I haven't seen this show) but today's zombies definitely move quicker than the old fashioned ones.
Yup

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Not specifically these ones I guess(since I haven't seen this show) but today's zombies definitely move quicker than the old fashioned ones.
Oh yeah definitely. I was put off by the Dawn of the Dead remake where the zombies are all olympic sprinters.

I like slower zombies for the most part, more tension. (I love the Dead Rising games for example all slow zombies there!)

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
I enjoy the fact that they don't move very fast, it makes a lot more sense considering how dopey they appear.  It seems as if they are ridiculous athletes in other movies such as Dawn of the Dead
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I'm enjoying it but with the understanding that once they meet "The Mayor" the show will get too weird for me ( as the coomics did) and I'll stop watching.

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I caught this show on On Demand and I plan on watching regularly for at least a little while. It's a slow at times, but the concept is neat and there's so many different directions the writers can go with it that I'm intrigued.

Couple problems I had with it:

- The Sheriff wakes up in a hospital that was at one point taken over by zombies (evident by the eaten woman on the hospital floor) yet he remains nice and cozy in his hospital bed passed out? Shouldn't a zombie have opened the door to scope the situation, seen some dude sleeping and chewed into him?

- After the Sheriff leaves the tank surrounded by zombies, he joins a group of other people and immediately gets a gun pointed in his face by the woman with blond hair. Isn't the anger misdirected here? Shouldn't she be upset with the other people who elected to contact him and help him out? It came off as odd and non realistic to me. I hope there's an explanation for her behavior in later episodes, like she's schizophrenic or something.

I could just be nitpicking, but I view those as holes or flaws in the writing. So while I'm still going to watch, I have high hopes low expectations going forward.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

- The Sheriff wakes up in a hospital that was at one point taken over by zombies (evident by the eaten woman on the hospital floor) yet he remains nice and cozy in his hospital bed passed out? Shouldn't a zombie have opened the door to scope the situation, seen some dude sleeping and chewed into him?

They showed that a gurney was pushed up against his door, and being in a coma, he wouldn't be making any noise.  It makes sense that they wouldn't find him.  How he stayed alive so long is a tougher question though.

- After the Sheriff leaves the tank surrounded by zombies, he joins a group of other people and immediately gets a gun pointed in his face by the woman with blond hair. Isn't the anger misdirected here? Shouldn't she be upset with the other people who elected to contact him and help him out? It came off as odd and non realistic to me. I hope there's an explanation for her behavior in later episodes, like she's schizophrenic or something.

He was the one firing the gun and she didn't know him.  Panicked people who have gone through a month of hell on earth aren't going to be thinking rationally.  I can't imagine most people would react differently - maybe they wouldn't point the piece, but they'd definitely blame him for it.

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

They showed that a gurney was pushed up against his door, and being in a coma, he wouldn't be making any noise.  It makes sense that they wouldn't find him.  How he stayed alive so long is a tougher question though.

He was the one firing the gun and she didn't know him.  Panicked people who have gone through a month of hell on earth aren't going to be thinking rationally.  I can't imagine most people would react differently - maybe they wouldn't point the piece, but they'd definitely blame him for it.

We've seen rocks picked up and smashed through windows, teddie bears to be carried around (for some unknown reason) and knobs turned in attempt to open a door. So I don't think a gurney in front of the hospital room door was enough to stop this type of zombie.

They didn't *have* to "blow their spot up"  and help him. They could have let him die, laid low and then got out of there eventually. They chose to give up their spot and help him out. She was against it, so she holds a gun in his face? Even stranger, five minutes later with zombies all around her banging on windows, she's grabbing dolphin necklaces for her sister and is completely unfazed? It just seemed a little unnatural to me.

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

They showed that a gurney was pushed up against his door, and being in a coma, he wouldn't be making any noise.  It makes sense that they wouldn't find him.  How he stayed alive so long is a tougher question though.

He was the one firing the gun and she didn't know him.  Panicked people who have gone through a month of hell on earth aren't going to be thinking rationally.  I can't imagine most people would react differently - maybe they wouldn't point the piece, but they'd definitely blame him for it.

We've seen rocks picked up and smashed through windows, teddie bears to be carried around (for some unknown reason) and knobs turned in attempt to open a door. So I don't think a gurney in front of the hospital room door was enough to stop this type of zombie.

They didn't *have* to "blow their spot up"  and help him. They could have let him die, laid low and then got out of there eventually. They chose to give up their spot and help him out. She was against it, so she holds a gun in his face? Even stranger, five minutes later with zombies all around her banging on windows, she's grabbing dolphin necklaces for her sister and is completely unfazed? It just seemed a little unnatural to me.
If he wasn't making noise and there was an obstacle in its way why would a zombie bother to go into the room? It appears as if the hospital was mostly zombie free until the last of the staff bugged out, they had the zombies contained effectively after all.

Also his gunshots had attracted all the walkers to surround their location, this all happened before they helped him. His escape from the tank didn't cause the zombies to spot them, the damage was already done when he rode in on his horse and shot up a bunch of zombies.

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sheriff was in a coma.  He wasn't making any sound at all.  Part of the whole thing is that the zombies are attracted to sounds like car alarms and gunshots.  If the Sheriff was behind the door in a room making no sound, the zombies wouldn't have known there was a human in there.  Hence, its completely feasible that they would've never got to him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

If he wasn't making noise and there was an obstacle in its way why would a zombie bother to go into the room? It appears as if the hospital was mostly zombie free until the last of the staff bugged out, they had the zombies contained effectively after all.

Also his gunshots had attracted all the walkers to surround their location, this all happened before they helped him. His escape from the tank didn't cause the zombies to spot them, the damage was already done when he rode in on his horse and shot up a bunch of zombies.

So the people in the department store were also making noise? If they weren't making noise and there were obstacles, why would all these zombies surround the department store if they hadn't elected to save him?