Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 356950 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 06:58:19 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I've finally seen the first episode and I loved it.

As a big fan of the comics I was afraid the TV show would ruin it but my biggest concerns (bad acting and shortcuts) disappeared quickly while watching it. I like the format, long episodes (more than an hour) allow to develop the stories and take time to make it evolve. The actors are pretty good too.

The atmosphere is really well retranscripted, it's funny how the show is both extremely resemblant to the comics and yet different with additional scenes or modified storylines. I thought all the modifications were good since they were more suited for TV or simply more coherent in terms of the story development.

For example, the tank scene is not in the comics but it's just great, you can feel all the tension and horror surrounding Rick and how he barely saves his life.

It's also great to see that they have not turned it into a "basic" zombie show, like a zombie appears on screen suddenly and you're scared ; no, they've stayed true to the spirit of the series, which is not to scare but to make us think about the characters and their evolution in this crazy, dead world.

Plus the zombies are very well done, it's amazing it looks like a movie more than a TV show!

Finally, the music was discreet in this episode but I liked what I heard, sounds like the great Bear Mccreary (Battlestar Galactica) is back to work!

Can't wait to see the next episode although I know what will happen!

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Very cool.  The Dead Set series on IFC was very good as well.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The 2nd episode was great too! The scenes where they are trying to escape the zombies are just awesome, full of tension and scary moments.

I liked that they went away from the comic on several storylines and added new characters, it's interesting to have a "tweaked" story.

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The only thing I haven't liked is how Shane and the redneck have been written to be over the top jerks. A bit ham handed, but that's a minor detail. The chopping scene, the atmosphere, and the casting has been spot on in my view.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I liked the second episode as well - interesting to see that these are tool-using zombies, and it looks like they're climbers too. 

Looks like the two groups of survivors meet up next week...should be a very interesting episode.

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I liked the second episode as well - interesting to see that these are tool-using zombies, and it looks like they're climbers too. 

Looks like the two groups of survivors meet up next week...should be a very interesting episode.
I think tool using is a bit of stretch, given how well they can grasp people the tool using doesn't seem purposeful. The climbing looked similar, just one Zombie managed to get on top of a crowd of other zombies. He was blindly reaching up instead of gripping the ladder rungs.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I think tool using is a bit of stretch, given how well they can grasp people the tool using doesn't seem purposeful. The climbing looked similar, just one Zombie managed to get on top of a crowd of other zombies. He was blindly reaching up instead of gripping the ladder rungs.

I meant the walker that picked up a rock and was hitting the department store doors with it.  It's not like using a lever or something, but it was pretty purposeful by zombie standards. 

The guy's wife turning the doorknob and the girl picking up the doll in Ep 1 were also more directed behaviors than what zombies are usually capable of.  They're "smarter" than in most examples of the genre.

Only saw a split-second of the zombie climbing but you could be right - I was just surprised that they had it getting up the ladder at all.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, but a couple of zombies scaled a fence too.  They're definitely able to climb in at least some limited ways.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:45:12 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
After losing "Lost" last year, this show is rapidly becoming my new favorite on television.  It's got substance and is tense at times.  Solid television.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
BTW, another sign of the times: I was more shocked to hear the N-word in this week's episode than I was to see the first ep open with a little girl being shot in the head.

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
They've picked it up for a full 13 episode second season.

And recapping by twop.com!  ;D

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I meant the walker that picked up a rock and was hitting the department store doors with it.  It's not like using a lever or something, but it was pretty purposeful by zombie standards. 

The guy's wife turning the doorknob and the girl picking up the doll in Ep 1 were also more directed behaviors than what zombies are usually capable of.  They're "smarter" than in most examples of the genre.

Only saw a split-second of the zombie climbing but you could be right - I was just surprised that they had it getting up the ladder at all.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, but a couple of zombies scaled a fence too.  They're definitely able to climb in at least some limited ways.

I saw that doorknob part and thought to myself: "Clever Girl...."

But seriously, zombies knowing what a doorknob is for, or knowing to pickup the rock to smash the window..that is harbinger of some serious crap going down.

I never liked Resident Evil "Zombies" much, because I hated that some superzombies could like, use axes and stuff but most of them just shuffled around like Eddy Curry running a fast break.

Technically, according to Romero's original zombies..they couldn't even climb stairs.

Still to this day my favorite zombies are the "28 days" zombies. They run fast, they're not smart, and they die eventually, and there is nothing supernatural about them. They're just wicked mad and hungry.

I bet dollars to doughnuts we'll have a "oh my god...they're communicating..they're learning!" episode before the end of the season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
In the original night of living dead doesn't a zombie use a rock to break into a car window?

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
In the original night of living dead doesn't a zombie use a rock to break into a car window?

TBH I could never make it all the way through that movie. The stairs thing was from an interview I read like 10 years ago.

DOUBLE EDIT: It was all about finding the right balance of rigor mortis vs mobility.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I saw that doorknob part and thought to myself: "Clever Girl...."

But seriously, zombies knowing what a doorknob is for, or knowing to pickup the rock to smash the window..that is harbinger of some serious crap going down.

I didn't see the doorknob so much as a conscious plan as a residual behavioral script.  She "knew" on an instinctive level that she'd been there before, and turning the knob was how to get in.  Kinda like the original Dawn of the Dead zombies being drawn to the mall - it's what they were used to doing.

Yup, and the little girl zombie stabs her mother to death with a knife.  The genre has mostly moved away from that kind of behavior since though.  I like it - it makes the zombies tougher foes without somehow being able to sprint on decomposing legs.  Although the zombies did seem to get faster from #1 to #2.

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

TBH I could never make it all the way through that movie. The stairs thing was from an interview I read like 10 years ago.

Have you never seen the ending?  One of the underrated horror film endings in my opinion.