Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 357025 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #825 on: August 27, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I really liked the first episode of Fear the Walking Dead but The Walking Dead is my favorite show ever  :)
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #826 on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I ve watched both shows of new Fear Walking Dead .....alarming trend?

Yikes ......already !

two brothers dead and third got bit  :-X

« Reply #827 on: September 25, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yikes ......already !

Been following the first 4 episodes -- like the premise a lot.  I find I'm liking the contrast between Ruben Blades' character and Cliff Curtis' characters.  Ruben calling Cliff's character soft and that it will end up costing him in the end has set an interesting tone to how that survivor's dynamic will evolve.

The recent episode where the army hauled off Nick should be interesting (I hope).

I've been looking for any characters that may be in this show that have been in The Walking Dead but haven't seen any yet.  probably makes sense since this is in LA (I believe) where TWD is on the east coast.  Anyone see a character from TWD I may have missed?

« Reply #828 on: September 25, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yikes ......already !

Been following the first 4 episodes -- like the premise a lot.  I find I'm liking the contrast between Ruben Blades' character and Cliff Curtis' characters.  Ruben calling Cliff's character soft and that it will end up costing him in the end has set an interesting tone to how that survivor's dynamic will evolve.

The recent episode where the army hauled off Nick should be interesting (I hope).

I've been looking for any characters that may be in this show that have been in The Walking Dead but haven't seen any yet.  probably makes sense since this is in LA (I believe) where TWD is on the east coast.  Anyone see a character from TWD I may have missed?

None.  FTWD has been totally stand alone from TWD so far.   Given the timeline (barring flashbacks or something), we may not see any crossover for seasons.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #829 on: September 25, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I had a hard time with the first 3 episodes of FotWD because... I mean, you know how the story ends. And they've successfully ripped off the intro of 28 Days Later twice in two series, which is nice for those of us who follow the horror genre in general.

They both suffer from the fact that neither story is really destined for perpetuity, which explains the highs and lows in storytelling. It is shot better than TWD, though.

The franchise remains the Big Mac of horror. Tasty. Not very satisfying for the palate or the body or anything beyond your reptile brain.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #830 on: September 25, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yikes ......already !

None.  FTWD has been totally stand alone from TWD so far.   Given the timeline (barring flashbacks or something), we may not see any crossover for seasons.

Barring a secret airplane I don't see how they'd crossover at all.  Very different angles. 

It does seem Los Angeles did a little bit better job at managing the initial outbreak than Atlanta did though.
Yup

« Reply #831 on: September 25, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yikes ......already !

Barring a secret airplane I don't see how they'd crossover at all.  Very different angles. 

It does seem Los Angeles did a little bit better job at managing the initial outbreak than Atlanta did though.

I guess I could see some CDC crossover here in the beginning.  Besides that, unless its flashback character interaction (pre-outbreak), the crossover could be tough for now. 

« Reply #832 on: September 25, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yikes ......already !

I guess I could see some CDC crossover here in the beginning.  Besides that, unless its flashback character interaction (pre-outbreak), the crossover could be tough for now. 
thanks - I was just wondering if there had been a character crossover that I had missed. 

I would think that if one were to occur, whomever the character was would have to make the cross-country trip early in the outbreak.

« Reply #833 on: September 25, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I had a hard time with the first 3 episodes of FotWD because... I mean, you know how the story ends. And they've successfully ripped off the intro of 28 Days Later twice in two series, which is nice for those of us who follow the horror genre in general.

Which bit of the new show ripped off 28 Days Later?  I guess the junkie waking up to Brave New Zombie World was similar-ish, but it wasn't like he was out for a few weeks, and society was still very much intact.  Or did you mean the time skip at the start of the last one?

...I liked the first 3 episodes myself, but was severely let down by the last one.  I know they don't have the budget to really show the zombies taking over on any kind of broad scale, but having them survive one night of hell and then saying "Welp, it's been a week and half, errbody dead now" seemed like a major copout.  And the menace they were trying to build around the military mostly felt flat to me.  Hopefully the next two episodes will redeem that a bit.

« Reply #834 on: September 25, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Which bit of the new show ripped off 28 Days Later?  I guess the junkie waking up to Brave New Zombie World was similar-ish, but it wasn't like he was out for a few weeks, and society was still very much intact.  Or did you mean the time skip at the start of the last one?

Oh, the mise en scène (particularly the lighting, color palate and some of the angles) from the opening of FotWD was straight out of the Church scene in 28 Days. Obviously the setup for TWD proper is straight out of 28 Days (man wakes up in hospital with no one around) and there's a lot of probably deliberate nods to that in TWD when Grimes wakes up.

28 Days is my gold standard for zombie movies, so that's in no way a bad thing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #835 on: September 25, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Oh, the mise en scène (particularly the lighting, color palate and some of the angles) from the opening of FotWD was straight out of the Church scene in 28 Days.

Oh, ok, I can see that.  Haven't watched 28DL recently enough to make the connection. I think junkieland was supposed to be an abandoned church too, so it makes sense there'd be some homage going on there.

...I still go with the original Dawn of the Dead myself, warts and all, though that's probably nostalgia talking.

EDIT: [REC] was a terrific zombie movie too, though it's in Spanish and I hear the English version (Quarantine) is not as good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:22:13 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #836 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Yeah it's a Church in FoTWD too. That's part of what makes it so easy.

Dawn of the Dead is great, for sure. Still more effective than a lot of the zombie genre, and also, if anyone hasn't seen it, it's widely available on the internet since it's in the Public Domain.

« Reply #837 on: September 25, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
At times quite frankly it has been boring to me, not as much action as I am used too.   I get it is early in the series and they are building characters.  It better stabilize in the ratings soon, however, I do not see it in imminent danger.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2440966/fear-the-walking-dead-drops-in-ratings-again-but-so-does-the-emmys/

http://www.inquisitr.com/2433275/fear-the-walking-dead-heres-why-we-shouldnt-worry-about-its-dip-in-ratings/

The drug son acts too hard to be like a young Johnny Depp.  His looks, even his acting and line delivery are similar and on purpose on his part.

« Reply #838 on: September 25, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
At times quite frankly it has been boring to me, not as much action as I am used too.   I get it is early in the series and they are building characters.  It better stabilize in the ratings soon, however, I do not see it in imminent danger.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2440966/fear-the-walking-dead-drops-in-ratings-again-but-so-does-the-emmys/

http://www.inquisitr.com/2433275/fear-the-walking-dead-heres-why-we-shouldnt-worry-about-its-dip-in-ratings/

The drug son acts too hard to be like a young Johnny Depp.  His looks, even his acting and line delivery are similar and on purpose on his part.

Yeah, so far I'm not a big fan of the characters.  None seem that likable.  Maybe the mom but that's about it.

The drugged out son is annoying as heck.  So is his sister.  The dad seems clueless to what's going on around him and seems like the type that will get people killed.  I like the guy I like best is Ruben Blades character because he really doesn't give a crap yet seems to be more aware than the idiots around him (not that its tough).

« Reply #839 on: September 25, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Fun facts about druggie kid:  he's the son of the guy who plays Stannis on Game of Thrones, and also played young Voldemort in Harry Potter.

And he's been kinda obnoxious on the show, though I liked him better early on.