Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 356958 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #855 on: October 11, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Freaking cliffhangers...

« Reply #856 on: October 12, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
On FTWD I have seen a lot of comments about how coud the family let all the walkers out. I only watched it once, but do we know for sure that Salazar didn't do it alone? Maybe the family didn't know. Or is it just that the kid was about to die so they had to get in somehow?

As for last nights Walking Dead, I can't help but think a better plan could have been made. It would be so much better to kill the walkers rather than divert them. Couldn't they rig up some booby trap where the walkers kill themselves?

It got me thiking, what would be the best walker trap? Any clever ideas for how to build a walker trap? Maybe some sort of noise maker hung out over the cliff and then build walls to make a path that leads to the walkers going over the cliff. If they don't die, they just do it again. What does burning walkers do? Could they have just thrown gas on the quarry and burned them? would the fire damage the brain before it ran out of skin and hair to burn? I'm not sure my ideas work, and it wouldn't have mattered as they didn't have much time, but it seems like they could have come up with a simpler plan. 

« Reply #857 on: October 12, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
On FTWD I have seen a lot of comments about how coud the family let all the walkers out. I only watched it once, but do we know for sure that Salazar didn't do it alone? Maybe the family didn't know. Or is it just that the kid was about to die so they had to get in somehow?

As for last nights Walking Dead, I can't help but think a better plan could have been made. It would be so much better to kill the walkers rather than divert them. Couldn't they rig up some booby trap where the walkers kill themselves?

It got me thiking, what would be the best walker trap? Any clever ideas for how to build a walker trap? Maybe some sort of noise maker hung out over the cliff and then build walls to make a path that leads to the walkers going over the cliff. If they don't die, they just do it again. What does burning walkers do? Could they have just thrown gas on the quarry and burned them? would the fire damage the brain before it ran out of skin and hair to burn? I'm not sure my ideas work, and it wouldn't have mattered as they didn't have much time, but it seems like they could have come up with a simpler plan.

Yup

« Reply #858 on: October 12, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The kids are annoying as heck.

I thought it was pretty obvious, they hired the daughter to be eye candy.

A good walker trap would be leading the walkers into a slaughter house into pens and dispatching them with a bolt gun.   Those pens hold cattle so they could hold walkers and bolt guns do not mess around.  With the bars there would be a high degree of safety.   This would only be practical with a certain size of horde.  The cliff would be better with one addition, sharpened stakes.   Walkers tend to get pinned on them.  So you go down and take them at leisure if they were pinned.   The best walker trap would be one that involved giving them a virus that would infect them and nuetralize the virus that animates them.  Problem solved, they would die because the virus only animates them once they are dead.   This would cure the living and end the show though.

« Reply #859 on: October 12, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well some of my solutions for the herd.
1. Short term solution= Just park another trailer up further on the ridge to keep them in. Its simple and you already know it works.
2. Most unlikely solution= Wait for rain in the quarry and try electrocution.
3. Most scary solution= drive a large caged bulldozer or other construction vehicle into the herd to just crush and bury them. Who would drive it?
4. Coolest effects= Road tree trimmer. It can reach into the "pen", sound attracts them and blades cut them up.
5. Most dangerous= Tossing in small amounts of dynamite at a bunch of spots by everyon. This would thin the herd to a mob which they can handle and it deepens the quarry. Danger is it will attract more walkers and maybe collapse the ridge.
6. Most patient solution=burning them will take awhile if they can move around.
7. Prefferd solution=lead the herd out via lifted pickups. People ride in back with long spiked poles killing the walkers as they ride inches ahead of the herd. You don't just lead them away but you destroy the herd.

« Reply #860 on: October 13, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Well some of my solutions for the herd.
1. Short term solution= Just park another trailer up further on the ridge to keep them in. Its simple and you already know it works.
2. Most unlikely solution= Wait for rain in the quarry and try electrocution.
3. Most scary solution= drive a large caged bulldozer or other construction vehicle into the herd to just crush and bury them. Who would drive it?
4. Coolest effects= Road tree trimmer. It can reach into the "pen", sound attracts them and blades cut them up.
5. Most dangerous= Tossing in small amounts of dynamite at a bunch of spots by everyon. This would thin the herd to a mob which they can handle and it deepens the quarry. Danger is it will attract more walkers and maybe collapse the ridge.
6. Most patient solution=burning them will take awhile if they can move around.
7. Prefferd solution=lead the herd out via lifted pickups. People ride in back with long spiked poles killing the walkers as they ride inches ahead of the herd. You don't just lead them away but you destroy the herd.
interesting options.  I was wondering why they just didn't get a fuel dump into that pit and light them all up.  not sure electrocution would work.  as for mashing them, would look into a caged-enforced steamroller as a first option (depending on manueverability)

that said, anyone sad to see Ethan Embry's character go?  Rick's character needs someone contrasting but he was way too whiny to want to see stick around for any length of time.

« Reply #861 on: October 13, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
i never realy had any greif with TWD, but after seeing so much complaining about FTWD it got me thinking. What if i lived in this world? wouldnt the easiest solution be to kill all the walkers? If you could make traps that work on all sides of you wouldn't that work?

« Reply #862 on: October 13, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
i never realy had any greif with TWD, but after seeing so much complaining about FTWD it got me thinking. What if i lived in this world? wouldnt the easiest solution be to kill all the walkers? If you could make traps that work on all sides of you wouldn't that work?

it does make you wonder why someone (or group) hasn't tried that approach yet.

as the saying goes "Build a better Dead trap and the world (of the Walking Dead) will beat a path to your door (and then really die in the trap)"

« Reply #863 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Seems numbers is the biggest problem with trying to kill every walker. There is always more coming or eventually a herd hits overloading your defenses. Too many walkers to kill safely and you lose people. Which is why I'd think finding more people is the most important quest after basic survival. It's probably better to keep moving to avoid being caught be a mob or herd unless you have a under ground bunker to wait out a herd.

« Reply #864 on: October 13, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Burning isn't really practical especially with no flammable material around and fuel a precious commodity.  But getting them to walk off a cliff/tall building is awfully effective and takes few resources.  I was pretty surprised they didn't even think of that after getting a few zombies to die through that exact method.  Just dangle a speaker over the edge of a cliff, herd them toward it, and off they go.  I guess once the bodies stacked up it might start cushioning their fall, though.

It was weird finding out that Rick's ultimate solution was just "get them to go a few miles that way and hope they just kinda leave", after his big "I don't take chances anymore" speech. 

it does make you wonder why someone (or group) hasn't tried that approach yet.

as the saying goes "Build a better Dead trap and the world (of the Walking Dead) will beat a path to your door (and then really die in the trap)"

Seems like the Wolves are very good at that already, except they're more interested in capturing them as weapons than killing them. 

« Reply #865 on: October 16, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Burning isn't really practical especially with no flammable material around and fuel a precious commodity.  But getting them to walk off a cliff/tall building is awfully effective and takes few resources.  I was pretty surprised they didn't even think of that after getting a few zombies to die through that exact method.  Just dangle a speaker over the edge of a cliff, herd them toward it, and off they go.  I guess once the bodies stacked up it might start cushioning their fall, though.
Grand Canyon my friend.  let's see them fill it up

« Reply #866 on: October 16, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Grand Canyon my friend.  let's see them fill it up

Haha, I think that's a bit too far of a hike from Virginia.  But I'm sure Z-Nation will get on it shortly.

« Reply #867 on: October 16, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

A good walker trap would be leading the walkers into a slaughter house into pens and dispatching them with a bolt gun.   Those pens hold cattle so they could hold walkers and bolt guns do not mess around.  With the bars there would be a high degree of safety.   This would only be practical with a certain size of horde.  The cliff would be better with one addition, sharpened stakes.   Walkers tend to get pinned on them.  So you go down and take them at leisure if they were pinned.   The best walker trap would be one that involved giving them a virus that would infect them and nuetralize the virus that animates them.  Problem solved, they would die because the virus only animates them once they are dead.   This would cure the living and end the show though.

They used this method in a series I read called "Extinction".  Except it didn't kill all of them, and made the ones that were immune to the virus even stronger.  They were a rapidly evolving sub-species though - not the degenerating walkers of TWD.  Speaking of degenerating, did you notice some of their head just kind of squishing open on their own against the barriers.  The walkers are getting soft!
Yup

« Reply #868 on: October 16, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

A good walker trap would be leading the walkers into a slaughter house into pens and dispatching them with a bolt gun.   Those pens hold cattle so they could hold walkers and bolt guns do not mess around.  With the bars there would be a high degree of safety.   This would only be practical with a certain size of horde.  The cliff would be better with one addition, sharpened stakes.   Walkers tend to get pinned on them.  So you go down and take them at leisure if they were pinned.   The best walker trap would be one that involved giving them a virus that would infect them and nuetralize the virus that animates them.  Problem solved, they would die because the virus only animates them once they are dead.   This would cure the living and end the show though.

They used this method in a series I read called "Extinction".  Except it didn't kill all of them, and made the ones that were immune to the virus even stronger.  They were a rapidly evolving sub-species though - not the degenerating walkers of TWD.  Speaking of degenerating, did you notice some of their head just kind of squishing open on their own against the barriers.  The walkers are getting soft!
I noticed that as well and thought maybe the idea of dropping them off a cliff would actually work.  I'm telling you, Grand Canyon fill-up is the series finale ;)

« Reply #869 on: October 16, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Everyone is thinking what you would do in reality that would be the logical way, they don't reality they want more episodes and money!

I always scream at them for taking the dumb way to dispatch a zombie but after I do I think, my way ends the show, keep up the bs kills lol!

Why not pick off a few thousand zombies per day? Get a few shooters on those trucks every day and have them pick them off, someone has to know how to make bullets by now, they never seem to run out. Then set them on fire in case you miss hit a few. Any idea seems better than what Rick chose!

I think the abuser's kid blew the horn if not Reverend Lunatic!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)