Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 357007 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1095 on: November 28, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Well, that episode kind of summed up why ratings have been dropping like a rock for TWD.  It wasn't really that bad but it barely moved the overall story, was built on a tertiary character and a quinary character we hadn't seen in 9 months and 9 episodes and it was painfully obvious how it will eventually tie back into the main story.

Mike

« Reply #1096 on: November 28, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Well, that episode kind of summed up why ratings have been dropping like a rock for TWD.  It wasn't really that bad but it barely moved the overall story, was built on a tertiary character and a quinary character we hadn't seen in 9 months and 9 episodes and it was painfully obvious how it will eventually tie back into the main story.

Mike

Yeh, I'm having a hard time convincing my wife to stick with it.    I'm kind of doing it out of loyalty.  Like watching the Celtics during a tank season.  Maybe we'll win the lottery?

...we never win the lottery  :'(
Yup

« Reply #1097 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Me and wif have quit the Dead series .   We agreed that last season was our finale.

« Reply #1098 on: November 28, 2016, 10:42:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Mike

Yeah, it was a puzzling choice. There are characters and storylines that people care about. There's a kickass hero to develop in Jesus. There's an awesome villain who has a couple of recognizable sidekicks. There's a guy with a dang tiger!

... and we get Tara and a side of Heath.  Do they pay Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, etc. by the episode? Is this only to save money? Because, storywise, they could have told that in 15 minutes if they felt compelled to advance that plot point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1099 on: November 28, 2016, 10:50:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike

Yeah, it was a puzzling choice. There are characters and storylines that people care about. There's a kickass hero to develop in Jesus. There's an awesome villain who has a couple of recognizable sidekicks. There's a guy with a dang tiger!

... and we get Tara and a side of Heath.  Do they pay Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, etc. by the episode? Is this only to save money? Because, storywise, they could have told that in 15 minutes if they felt compelled to advance that plot point.

have to agree that this latest story could have been done in half the time while still building the characters and showing the new group of people with Negan's impact on them.

I do think it was a worthwhile storyline, albeit a bit longer than needed.

« Reply #1100 on: December 04, 2016, 10:47:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
This season has had a lot of problems but I finally figured out why the character of Negan just isn't working.  It's not the actor, who is doing what he can with what he's given.

In the comics, Negan is a chatterbox who is constantly swearing in rather inventive ways.  No one else in the entire series has talked anything like him and it gives the character an energy and a cartoonish quality that contrasts his extreme brutality.  TV Negan is saying a lot of the same things but without the colorful profanity it...all...moves...so...slowly.  He comes off like The Governor on mood stabilizers.

They probably should have just had him fake swear all the time, "freak this" and "freak that," and embraced the larger-than-life ridiculousness of the guy.

Mike

« Reply #1101 on: December 11, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Spencer....

Saw that coming a mile away. What a dope.

« Reply #1102 on: December 11, 2016, 11:14:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Spencer....

probably the most enjoyable killing until Negan's time comes

« Reply #1103 on: December 11, 2016, 11:29:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Spencer....

I have to agree.  I am not a comics reader, but my wife and I both said, Spencer is going to die as soon as he started to go talk to Negan.

This season has been kind of disappointing.  It feels like the writing isn't as good.  I know it is based on the comics, but it just seems a bit more forced.  It just doesn't seem likely that after what happened at the end of last season with Negan letting Rick and the gang go home that they wouldn't have hidden a lot of their guns or immediately started preparing to fight back.  Maybe that is how it played out exactly in the comics and they are following that closely.  I dunno...

« Reply #1104 on: December 11, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, I've never read any of the comics, but you knew he was gonna die when he tried smooth talking Negan. You ain't BS'ing someone like that, Negan saw right through his BS.

« Reply #1105 on: December 11, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah Spencer was out of his league. 

I am hoping that the action / writing will pick up a bit in the next 1/2 of the season with the 3 groups finally uniting against the saviors.  There have been a lot of filler / background type episodes so far.  I kind of watch due to loyalty too, but hopefully it gets better again.

« Reply #1106 on: December 11, 2016, 11:51:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
Spencer....

I have to agree.  I am not a comics reader, but my wife and I both said, Spencer is going to die as soon as he started to go talk to Negan.

This season has been kind of disappointing.  It feels like the writing isn't as good.  I know it is based on the comics, but it just seems a bit more forced.  It just doesn't seem likely that after what happened at the end of last season with Negan letting Rick and the gang go home that they wouldn't have hidden a lot of their guns or immediately started preparing to fight back.  Maybe that is how it played out exactly in the comics and they are following that closely.  I dunno...

Don't blame the comics.  It was the same basic story but played out a lot quicker and with way less repetitive suffering. 

This wasn't a bad episode but could have been show #4 and not the mid-season finale. I think this all goes back to the fakeout "death" of Glenn where they even took the actor's name out of the credits.  The show runner said he wanted the audience to experience the mystery of Glenn being alive or dead just like the characters.  They're focusing too much on manipulating the audience's emotions instead of simply telling their story.

Mike

« Reply #1107 on: December 11, 2016, 11:58:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yeah Spencer was out of his league. 

He did every but call him Negan Bubby

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipagRxiCqM
Yup

« Reply #1108 on: December 13, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Spencer sweet talkin Neegan was like the scene where Gene Hackman waving the white hankie and sweet talkin Gen Zod in Supes 2...except Gen Zod didnt took Luthors guts out..eeewhh.

« Reply #1109 on: December 13, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Spencer sweet talkin Neegan was like the scene where Gene Hackman waving the white hankie and sweet talkin Gen Zod in Supes 2...except Gen Zod didnt took Luthors guts out..eeewhh.
I was thinking of Ellis trying to sweet talk Hans Gruber in Die Hard