Author Topic: Crisis on Infinite Earths (spoilers ahead, you have been warned).  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What's started as a TV show about Green Arrow has led us to this, eight years later. So, it's DC's turn to have their biggest event. Who's watching, or seen the first hour? I wanted to put this on the Superhero/Comics Movie thread, but this isn't a movie, so I thought I'd do it here, on the TV thread.

What a first hour that was huh? The homage to 1986 and 1989 Batman movie/show. Titans being revealed to be CANON to the Arrowverse (which, I hope, opens up a door for a crossover), and everything that happened. I mean, we all knew that Oliver Queen will die, but never have I thought it will happen in HOUR ONE!

We get two more hours, before we have to wait until the New Year to finish it. But they started with a bang, eh!?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Crisis on Infinite Earths (spoilers ahead, you have been warned).
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What's started as a TV show about Green Arrow has led us to this, eight years later. So, it's DC's turn to have their biggest event. Who's watching, or seen the first hour? I wanted to put this on the Superhero/Comics Movie thread, but this isn't a movie, so I thought I'd do it here, on the TV thread.

What a first hour that was huh? The homage to 1986 and 1989 Batman movie/show. Titans being revealed to be CANON to the Arrowverse (which, I hope, opens up a door for a crossover), and everything that happened. I mean, we all knew that Oliver Queen will die, but never have I thought it will happen in HOUR ONE!

We get two more hours, before we have to wait until the New Year to finish it. But they started with a bang, eh!?
I saw it.  it was ok.   Admittedly I don't watch Arrow or Supergirl and have grown bored with Batwoman (figured I'd give it a try) but this just seemed a bit all over the place.  Never read DC comics so I'm not familiar with the story.  Caught the Burt Ward and Robert Wuhl cameos which were a nice surprise.

hoping the storyline picks up.  killing off Arrow was an interesting start but since I don't watch that show I had no attachment to that character.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I saw it.  it was ok.   Admittedly I don't watch Arrow or Supergirl and have grown bored with Batwoman (figured I'd give it a try) but this just seemed a bit all over the place.  Never read DC comics so I'm not familiar with the story.  Caught the Burt Ward and Robert Wuhl cameos which were a nice surprise.

hoping the storyline picks up.  killing off Arrow was an interesting start but since I don't watch that show I had no attachment to that character.

That was a big surprise, something the showrunners apparently had to do.

There was kind of an aftershow interview with the people behind the crossover, and the Arrow showrunner mentioned that that was one of the only way for them to make Crisis more interesting. They have been teasing the death of Oliver Queen since last year's crossover, and this season is about him basically re-living his past, having him accept his fate. Add to it that season 8 is the final season of Arrow.

So fans are expecting he's going, but we didn't expect he's going in HOUR ONE. That was a crazy surprise.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

There was kind of an aftershow interview with the people behind the crossover, and the Arrow showrunner mentioned that that was one of the only way for them to make Crisis more interesting. They have been teasing the death of Oliver Queen since last year's crossover, and this season is about him basically re-living his past, having him accept his fate. Add to it that season 8 is the final season of Arrow.

So fans are expecting he's going, but we didn't expect he's going in HOUR ONE. That was a crazy surprise.

Sigh. Thats the same lazy excuse the Game of  Thrones show runners used to justify half their stupid plot developments. I would have like him to go out fighting on his earth or fighting to save his fellow heroes or making a larger impact on the outcome of the crisis rather than just dying to save 1 billion people we will never see who are still on pace to die anyway. It felt like a way to write a character off rather than make his death a meaningful part of the tapestry of the crisis event.

Instead he died because the show runners wanted to surprise us. How about instead of surprising you focus on oh I don't know making it good?

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Sigh. Thats the same lazy excuse the Game of  Thrones show runners used to justify half their stupid plot developments. I would have like him to go out fighting on his earth or fighting to save his fellow heroes or making a larger impact on the outcome of the crisis rather than just dying to save 1 billion people we will never see who are still on pace to die anyway. It felt like a way to write a character off rather than make his death a meaningful part of the tapestry of the crisis event.

Instead he died because the show runners wanted to surprise us. How about instead of surprising you focus on oh I don't know making it good?

It might not be over for him though. We still have four hours of it. A lot can still happen.

If you're caught up with Arrow, in the season 7 finale', it's implied that he's not really dead, when The Monitor told Felicity Smoak if she's "ready to see him". A lot of fans think that's the paradise universe that Earth-2 Superman, Earth-2 Lois Lane, and Earth-Prime Superboy was in during the events of the Crisis comics. This is a theory that has been floating around.

There are also speculations of John Constantine resurrecting him. And there's also a popular theory that he comes back as The Spectre.

Killing Earth-1 Oliver Queen on the first episode is probably just a way for the writers to show that the stakes on this event is really high. But I think the fans all agree that he'll come back at some point, and this isn't the last time we see him.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
TBH the only DC Comics thing I care about right now is Watchmen, and it is really really good.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
TBH the only DC Comics thing I care about right now is Watchmen, and it is really really good.

That episode last night was fan - freaking - tastic.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Love it..Burt Ward was awesome
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:00:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, hour two felt a bit, dull, but we got some cool moment.

The two Supermen fighting was fun. A fan service to Smallville was fantastic, book ending that story. Kevin Conroy finally being Bruce Wayne/Batman in live action. There are some cool moments. And the Anti-Monitor reveal, complete with the suit and all. Those were fun.

But it still ran a bit, well, slow. And man, the last thing you want to give Bloodlust to is Oliver Queen. They better find his soul, fast.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 08:16:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The two Supermen fighting was fun. A fan service to Smallville was fantastic, book ending that story. Kevin Conroy finally being Bruce Wayne/Batman in live action. There are some cool moments. And the Anti-Monitor reveal, complete with the suit and all. Those were fun.

But it still ran a bit, well, slow. And man, the last thing you want to give Bloodlust to is Oliver Queen. They better find his soul, fast.
was wondering who was playing Batman.  Conroy didn't look the part but he's provided a terrific voice of the animated Batman.  Brought Arrow back.  pretty predictable unfortunately.  Did like Routh's return to Superman.

hope hours 3-5 pick up the entertainment value.  This Event is trying to hard to include everyone and it's just a huge pile of mishmash so far.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 08:57:05 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

was wondering who was playing Batman.  Conroy didn't look the part but he's provided a terrific voice of the animated Batman.  Brought Arrow back.  pretty predictable unfortunately.  Did like Routh's return to Superman.

hope hours 3-5 pick up the entertainment value.  This Event is trying to hard to include everyone and it's just a huge pile of mishmash so far.

Apart from Black Lightning and Ashley Scott reprising her role as Helena Kyle, I think that's about it as far as cameos. It's pretty much moving the story forward from this point on.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 12:05:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Now, the painful month long wait for the conclusion begins. But WOW, that was a loaded episode. Not a lot of action. I guess they are saving it for the final two episodes.

The fans are pretty much on point with their theories, from Earth-90 Barry Allen being the one dying, to Oliver Queen being The Spectre. They killed Earth-38 Superman (who's looking like the weakest iteration of Superman that we have seen), and Christopher Reeve continuity Supes. And I love that they finally are doing something big with Martian Manhunter having him as one of the Paragons.

Lex Luthor is, man! That twist in the end was fantastic.