Author Topic: Game 1 minutes  (Read 6762 times)

Game 1 minutes
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:48:36 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
One thing I noticed from our opener is the minutes Ray, Paul and KG played.  These 3 guys we are supposed to be keeping their minutes in check throughout the regular season.  Paul 40 min, ray 39 and kg 35.  I did notice KG would have had to be the center at one point last night.  I'd hope doc can get more than 12 minutes for marquis who I thought played well, nate not so great.  And if the O'Neal boys are going to need lots of rest than here's to a heathly Erden getting 10 minutes a night.
I know its only the 1st game but I do want to see all three of those guys get breathers in some games, might be happening next game (back to backs).  Where if we are rolling over cleveland let the bench do its thing.

Re: Game 1 minutes
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:53:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Heat are a tough team to rest any of them against. Anytime LeBron is on the court Pierce should be as well if at all possible, he just powered past Daniels too easily.

Plus its a big game against the new big team in the east, I don't blame Doc coaching it like he did. I don't think this will be an every night type of rotation. All three will likely get another 3-5 minutes of a rest a night most nights. (As will Rondo)

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I didn't like the amount of minutes played by KG, Ray and Paul either but it was the first game and a big one. Doc said after the game that he didn't like playing them so much either and that he will rest them as much a possible during the season. He also said that Delonte's return will be huge to spell Ray and Paul so I'm not worried, I think we don't see more than 25 minutes for the older guys tonight.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:00:58 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Eh, I expect them to log big minutes in big games like this.  They'll get their rest against the lowly teams.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1820
PP plays 10 min. less and the Cs lose.  West should make a big difference when he is back.  
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The Heat are a tough team to rest any of them against. Anytime LeBron is on the court Pierce should be as well if at all possible, he just powered past Daniels too easily.

Plus its a big game against the new big team in the east, I don't blame Doc coaching it like he did. I don't think this will be an every night type of rotation. All three will likely get another 3-5 minutes of a rest a night most nights. (As will Rondo)

Im with you 100%.  First of all its the first game, you know all these guys are amped for it and ready to go.  Its also the first game against the new big 3.  If you rested your guys, game one, in your building and lost it doesnt set a good tone.

The fact of the matter is, there are going to be many games where we can afford to rest our starters because the league is just so top heavy.  But the home opener against the most hyped team in the league is not the time to do it. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I have no problem with them playing big minutes against the best teams.  But if they are playing 35-40 minutes against the Timberwolves, etc. then it is bad.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
This game was a statement game, and was all about respect. I am pretty sure that if Doc benched the big 3 for the sake of sticking to certain minutes, KG would have killed Doc and eaten his kids as a midnight snack.

They're playing Crapland...i mean, Cleveland tonight, so I'm sure they'll get plenty of rest tonight.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Doc has mentioned that they played big minutes because it's Miami.  Over the course of the year, I'm sure they will be playing a lot less minutes.  I'd imagine that you'll see Paul, Shaq, and KG get nights off from time to time, especially in back-to-back games.

I'm guessing the starters play closer to 25-30 minutes tonight, with the bench getting a lot more time.  Hopefully the C's jump out to a big lead and the starters can spend the 4th quarter on the bench.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25624
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have no problem with them playing big minutes against the best teams.  But if they are playing 35-40 minutes against the Timberwolves, etc. then it is bad.

Yep. This game had a playoff atmosphere, and will help set the tone for the season. I didn't have any issue with the minutes due to the psychological importance of the game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I am sure when West comes back that will help keep their minutes down.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Rondo and Baby played great last night.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They wanted to make a statement against the new NBA darling team.  They are still a very proud team that probably do not like how they are getting brushed aside by so many media members and fans for the new shinny thing that is unproven.

They sent the message.  Boston is still the team to beat in the East. 

I would not be surprised to see minutes drop starting the next game. 

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think we should probably wait at least a month or so before worrying about minutes.  Given that this was the first game of the season, the first game in a week, and a game against their biggest competition for home court in the East, there is plenty of reason to believe the minutes were an aberation compared to the rest of the regular season, and closer to a playoff rotation.

My guess is we will see the starters minutes go down significantly tonight, and in most of the games in the regular season.  But, for big games like last night, you need to expect a bit of a shortened rotation.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
News flash- any game against the Heat, Lakers, Magic, Thunder, expect to see high minutes. When you play against good teams typically the better players are going to be playing more minutes. Doc did a phenomenal job of monitoring minutes last year and with greater depth this year, I don't see a need for a thread like this unless we are halfway through the season and our starters are playing more minutes than last year.