Author Topic: New Lebron/Nike Ad  (Read 17513 times)

Re: New Lebron/Nike Ad
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 12:23:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
People like this?  One of the dumbest/lamest things i've ever heard.  Especially the wuss noise he makes when getting his tattoo removed.

I don't think like is the right word. I respect the ingenuity behind it. I think its smart as heck. Is one commercial going to make people "like" LeBron? No way. Too much overall dislike for his ego before he left Cleveland..and after..no shot.

But, does this help show LeBron as a guy who is fallible, and understands that? Yes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11:27 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
He said he doesn't regret the "decision" and would do it again although a little differently...but gives no specifics. Just the fact that he would do it over again...makes me dislike him even more. He has an ego bigger than his head...LeEgo James.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
People like this?  One of the dumbest/lamest things i've ever heard.  Especially the wuss noise he makes when getting his tattoo removed.

I don't think like is the right word. I respect the ingenuity behind it. I think its smart as heck. Is one commercial going to make people "like" LeBron? No way. Too much overall dislike for his ego before he left Cleveland..and after..no shot.

But, does this help show LeBron as a guy who is fallible, and understands that? Yes.
I don't think it shows that he understands anything.  I think it's just another cry for attention, AKA LeBron trying to be as famous as MJ.  It's him saying, "Yeah, I'm an idiot, but I'm still good at basketball so try to pay attention to that instead of all the desperate drama I've created around my life."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't think it shows that he understands anything.  I think it's just another cry for attention, AKA LeBron trying to be as famous as MJ.  It's him saying, "Yeah, I'm an idiot, but I'm still good at basketball so try to pay attention to that instead of all the desperate drama I've created around my life."

Meh, I disagree.

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I can see the difference of opinions on LeBron, but I don't see how anyone can agree that this is a good commercial.  It's just so bad.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He said he doesn't regret the "decision" and would do it again although a little differently...but gives no specifics. Just the fact that he would do it over again...makes me dislike him even more. He has an ego bigger than his head...LeEgo James.
Depends.

If he means "decision" the TV show, then i agree

If he means deciding where to play as a Free agent, Which he has every right to do, but just with some semblance of class, then I don't understand why that's a problem for anyone.

My annoyance with the affair was the method employed and lack of class shown, not the decision by an employee of the NBA who was free to go to any franchise in choosing one over another.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Depends.

If he means deciding where to play as a Free agent, Which he has every right to do, but just with some semblance of class, then I don't understand why that's a problem for anyone.

My annoyance with the affair was the method employed and lack of class shown, not the decision by an employee of the NBA who was free to go to any franchise in choosing one over another.

I agree with all of that.

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Depends.

He was talking about "decision" - the hour long LeEgo orgy on espn.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 04:49:05 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Cleveland's response video, good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvgD9HNTMkM

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

haha......good lord. That bitterness isn't lingering at all.

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not buy his shoes if my feet were bleeding and I was walking on volcanic glass.  The more this guy talks the dumber he looks.  MJ was cool Bron seems a bumbler.

That CLE video is priceless. 

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

haha......good lord. That bitterness isn't lingering at all.

Just saw this.  Really well done!  ;D
Yup

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:23 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Lebron doesn't owe Cleveland anything.

Don't understand why Cleveland fans feel entitled to anything.

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 02:33:34 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
He doesn't owe anyone anything but he could have joined another team with some class like just about every other basketball player did before him. He didn't owe Cleveland anything, but he didn't have to rub their face in it either. 

I think the commercial is very clever and gets people thinking but overall I think it comes off very, very smug. "Maybe I should disappear" like you'd like that wouldn't you? "Should I be who you want me to be?" Gee, I haven't ever wanted him to be a jerk, but he sure comes off as one and smiles a friendly smile while doing it. He's not coming off as humble and someone concerned with his image. He's coming off like he's giving everyone the middle finger. "Do you really think I've ruined my legacy?" No, just your image. Obviously he believes if he wins championships all will be forgiven. He didn't disappear. He wasn't who we wanted him to be. He didn't ruin his legacy. As long as he wins Championships, all will be forgiven. I think that is the master plan and he could care less what we think about him as long as he accomplishes the master goal.

I personally hope Karma says it never happens. I liked the legends of this sport much better than Lebron even when they played on our most heated rivals and won it all at our expense. They didn't tarnish their legacies the way he did. They just won championships and let that do the talking for them. They didn't tell us "Should I be who you want me to be?" They didn't care. They just did it.
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer