Author Topic: New Lebron/Nike Ad  (Read 17509 times)

Re: New Lebron/Nike Ad
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:33 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Seems like he's still playing the victim role in my opinion by attacking back...he should've put it in his rear view mirror and concentrate on bball for now.

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Had the pleasure of watching the commercial this morning on Sportscenter. Not during the commercials, but during the actual program. [Coupled with the egregious new site content devoted to the Miami Hype Machine, the network ought to be called HeatSPN.]

I thought there were some funny bits, but ultimately, it rang hollow for me. Really, the LeBron brand now stands for victimization by unfair critics?

LeBron goes from playing messiah to sporting a persecution complex. As others have said in this thread, the best thing he can do is keep his trap shut and let his game speak for him.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Had the pleasure of watching the commercial this morning on Sportscenter. Not during the commercials, but during the actual program. [Coupled with the egregious new site content devoted to the Miami Hype Machine, the network ought to be called HeatSPN.]

I thought there were some funny bits, but ultimately, it rang hollow for me. Really, the LeBron brand now stands for victimization by unfair critics?

LeBron goes from playing messiah to sporting a persecution complex. As others have said in this thread, the best thing he can do is keep his trap shut and let his game speak for him.

Amen! That's the truth right there.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yup - LeBron will shut his critics up if and only if he can start winning games in June.  Everything else is just marketing. 

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yup - LeBron will shut his critics up if and only if he can start winning games in June.  Everything else is just marketing. 

Of course.  But Nike owes it to themselves and the millions of dollars they are paying him to do what they can to try to compliment his play on the court by at least trying to rebuild his image a bit through marketing.  And this is a step in the right direction IMO. 

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

TP, pretty much summed up all of my thoughts. If he just shuts up and plays ball, a lot of fans will eventually move past "The Decision".

Also, I still think there's a failure on LeBron's part in realizing the issue for everyone was the WAY he left, not the fact that he left. Everyone realizes that as a free agent he had the right to go wherever he pleased but there was absolutely no reason for him to go on TV for an hour and rip out the hearts of his home state fans. By all means, leave but do so with some grace and humility.

IMO, Lebron's the biggest league bust no ones talking about. The media hyped him up as the next messiah of the NBA - this generations Jordan. He annointed himself the "Chosen One" and "The King" but failed to win with a good team built around him (no matter what anyone says in hindsight, you don't have the best record 2 seasons in a row if there's nothing but scrubs there). This kid gets no sympathy from me.

Okay... Rant = over.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Apparently Lebron had nothing but glowing reviews of the ad or himself on Twitter. 
Yup

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There's some Don Draper-level tomfoolery going on in this ad.  Well done.

I'd already forgiven LeBron before seeing this, though.  He made a smart move.  Cleveland is the pits.

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Of course.  But Nike owes it to themselves and the millions of dollars they are paying him to do what they can to try to compliment his play on the court by at least trying to rebuild his image a bit through marketing.  And this is a step in the right direction IMO. 

/co sign
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Diva. This guy needs to play basketball. Wise decision leaving Cleveland but he clearly needs to zip it and just play ball. If he wins a ring or two people will shut up.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 06:11:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Brilliant commercial. He still lost a lot of his appeal with "The Decision", but the commercial was well done.

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
There's some Don Draper-level tomfoolery going on in this ad.  Well done.

Honestly I saw that ad and was pretty impressed.

I was watching TV with my friends and looked at my buddy who is a complete LeBron hater and said, "That's a (heck) of an ad. Wow."

He looked at me and said, "Yeah, almost makes me think he's not a complete tool (not the word he used). Like he's a regular person who screwed up or something."

Bill Clinton should've been sponsored by Nike after the Lewinski scandal.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Wow ... I'm not with the general consensus here, (nothing new, I guess) ... I think the ad is completely obnoxious, and I have to change the channel every time it comes on. What should I do?!? ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
People like this?  One of the dumbest/lamest things i've ever heard.  Especially the wuss noise he makes when getting his tattoo removed.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:02 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
People like this?  One of the dumbest/lamest things i've ever heard.  Especially the wuss noise he makes when getting his tattoo removed.

TP.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *