Author Topic: New Lebron/Nike Ad  (Read 17465 times)

Re: New Lebron/Nike Ad
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 06:48:19 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Eh. Nike has one of the greatest marketing teams around, but not even they can repair LeBron's (or Tiger's) image right now.

Tiger has far more damaged image than Lebron. I still don't fault him for what he did, just how he did it. 

Tiger, on the other hand, has revealed a person completely at odds with the wholesome image he was getting paid for.  I don't see how he ever repairs his image. 

I disagree.

LeBron altered the way we will view him forever. Not in terms of what kind of person he is, because in reality that doesn't matter. But as far as a basketball player, he can never be mentioned with the likes of Jordan, or even Kobe now. He chose to align himself with two other great players.

Tiger damaged his reputation as....a husband. You really think he was making $100+ million a year in endorsements was because he was married with kids? I think shattering gold records had more to do with it.

When all is said in done, in 50 years, Tiger will be remembered as the greatest golfer ever (assuming he regains his old form). Nobody will ultimately care about his extramarital affairs when comparing him to Nicklaus or Hogan. When LeBron goes into the HoF, you know people will hold this move against him, regardless if he wins multiple titles.

As for endorsements now, the majority talks. Non-sports fans got so upset over Tiger's scandal and it made national headlines. Non-NBA fans hardly cared what LeBron did. I'm sure within a few years Tiger will be making significantly more than LeBron in endorsements once again.
CELTICS 2024

Lebrons Nike ad
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Not sure if this was posted already. pretty interesting video not sure how much its going to help his image though...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-LeBron-James-new-Nike-ad?urn=nba-279721
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I love the Miami Vice shoutout.  They brought back Crockett!!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Eh. Nike has one of the greatest marketing teams around, but not even they can repair LeBron's (or Tiger's) image right now.

I agree, right behind GEICO

uggh, I actually think GEICO marketing is awful.  In fact I'm shopping for car insurance over the next few weeks and I refuse to call them for a quote b/c I think their commercials are a complete waste. 

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
That is a good ad because it is a statement that he is making... it is a statement that the Nike marketing team has made but something that is effective nonetheless.  I still hate Lebron, but the image repairing team at Nike is working full time and they did a good job with this one.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 01:32:58 AM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
That is a good ad because it is a statement that he is making... it is a statement that the Nike marketing team has made but something that is effective nonetheless.  I still hate Lebron, but the image repairing team at Nike is working full time and they did a good job with this one.

I actually disagree. When I first saw this ad, I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I was just amazed as to how far Lebron is willing to go to try to fix his image.  He (and his Nike decision makers) are trying too hard. Just move on, play basketball, win championships and no one will remember the incision in 10 years.

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 07:51:21 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, LeBozo, if you really want to know what you should do, I suggest you shut your mouth.  So far all you've proven is you're a loser who can't come through in the clutch.  Win something, and then talk!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:00:16 AM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I agree, right behind GEICO

uggh, I actually think GEICO marketing is awful.  In fact I'm shopping for car insurance over the next few weeks and I refuse to call them for a quote b/c I think their commercials are a complete waste. 

I agree. But Progressive commercials are even worse!!

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I don't get it ... how is this a good ad, again?

The message I got from the ad is this:  (Lebron):  "What, I did something wrong?  Whatever I do can't please the critics.  So, eff all of you, especially Barkley.  My image, my brand, my ego ... they're all indestructible.  Leave me alone and let me play basketball."

This is a profound, even noteworthy, message?

The message I got after the infamous Decision is that this cat has a runaway ego who is terrified to take the risk to continue to try to lead his own team to the promised land. 

The ad hasn't changed that message.

Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Personally I never understood all of the Lebron hating. I like the commercial too, especially the shot at Barkley. Look, if I am in Lebron's shoes I do whatever I want and I dont care what everyone else thinks! He doens't owe the Cavs a thing. Sure his 'decision' show was ridiculous but oh well. One thing I know for sure is the Heat will be very, very good. Will they beat us? I dont know but they sure will be tough.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75

The message I got from the ad is this:  (Lebron):  "What, I did something wrong?  Whatever I do can't please the critics.  So, eff all of you, especially Barkley.  My image, my brand, my ego ... they're all indestructible.  Leave me alone and let me play basketball."

The message I got after the infamous Decision is that this cat has a runaway ego who is terrified to take the risk to continue to try to lead his own team to the promised land. 

I agree completely. The ad is clever and entertaining, and the resulting "message" of the "all questions" format really is merely -  "I'm going to just keep doing what I've been doing" - Which has resulted in show over substance, trick shots/dancing vs the serious business of leading a team, and having fun over winning...

One thing is, despite the cutesy smiles, you can tell he DOES care about the criticism...

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:20 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I agree completely. The ad is clever and entertaining, and the resulting "message" of the "all questions" format really is merely -  "I'm going to just keep doing what I've been doing" - Which has resulted in show over substance, trick shots/dancing vs the serious business of leading a team, and having fun over winning...

One thing is, despite the cutesy smiles, you can tell he DOES care about the criticism...

That's why I say it's a good ad because it takes the problem head on and it throws right back at the critics.  He's saying that he is not here to satisfy the critics so just take it.  It might not be the greatest message, but it does humanize him in a way that says that he is his own man and whether you like it or not, it's not gonna effect him. 

Like I said before, I don't think that is nothing but a product of a great marketing team to repair his image, but in this area you can either make excuses for your action or you can throw it right back at the critics I think the latter is their choice.  The critics might be a minority, but they are a loud minority and if you can shut them up, then the Lebron brand gets a little bit better.

PS. I am being careful to give credit to Lebron and the marketing team.  I personally think this is all BS coming from Lebron's mouth, but again, the marketing is good.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The whole thing is so contrived, it's more of the typical Lebron entitling attitude. The reason no one likes Lebaby right now isn't because of us, it's because of him. He played his cards and showed who he really is, a completely self centered ego maniac, people don't like bragards and that's what he is. I don't want him to be anything, as the ad suggests, I just don't like who he really is.

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I like how he kind of took a jab at Sir Charles, but that Barkley ad back in the day was amazing.

I didn't like how long the ad was....1:33? Are you kidding me?

I like how he never really acknowledged the option of staying in Cleveland.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I haven't watched it, but heard a bit on the radio, and it sounds like a step in the right direction. 

Nike should know that the only way he will save his image is by absolutely dominating on the court, but this was at least a good start. 

If he wants to revive his image off the court, this is going to have to be the track he is going to have to take.  He needs to be a little more self depricating, but he also needs to fight back a little bit against his critics.  He had completely failed at finding any sort of footing in the last few months, but this ad seems to be very well constructed, and clearly was the work of a professional publicist/marketing firm, rather than the work of some random friend of his from Ohio.